fccs’s Cache la Poudre Feb 2023

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

fccs

fccs’s Cache la Poudre Feb 2023

Post by fccs »

I’ve had this chart for quite awhile now but just recently (finally) decided on fabric. This is Cache la Poudre, charted by Scarlet Quince, and I’m stitching it on 16 count easy count Aida. It’s full of blended needles, so definitely not a quick stitch. (The Poudre is a river that runs through Fort Collins, Colorado, where I live.

This is the artwork

This is my start

(Note: image has been lost)
Last edited by fccs on Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:45 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
wendywombat

Re: fccs’s Cache la Poudre February 2020

Post by wendywombat »

Blended threads are a right pain...but ça vaut la peine as the French say.(It's Worth the trouble)

This picture is wonderful and you have made a great start on it! :whoop: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

wendywombat wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:19 am Blended threads are a right pain...but ça vaut la peine as the French say.(It's Worth the trouble)

This picture is wonderful and you have made a great start on it! :whoop: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Definitely worth the trouble. This is going to be lovely.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Serinde wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:34 pm
wendywombat wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:19 am Blended threads are a right pain...but ça vaut la peine as the French say.(It's Worth the trouble)

Absolutely agree. I used to stitch a lot of Teresa Wentzler designs and they are also filled with blended threads. You have made a lovely start on what will be an absolutely beautiful piece!!!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Serinde wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:34 pm

I totally agree and what a fantastic project this is!!! How very special!! :applesauce: :applesauce:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

fccs

Post by fccs »

So....when I started this one, I uploaded the chart into Pattern Keeper. I had read that even though Scarlet Quince is not one of the companies listed as working with PK, some had found that it did work, but the floss numbers had to be entered. I did this and was happily stitching away...and then I found a problem. Actually, I found a few problems. There were symbols missing in PK, and some were there and I correctly input the floss numbers, but the symbols were wrong, if that makes sense.

Rather than try to frog what was wrong, I decided to just start over. Now I’m using the web app from Scarlet Quince, which might very well be the basis of Pattern Keeper because there are many similarities. I wish SQ had an app rather than a web version (requiring an internet connection), but I guess it’s not that big a deal. (What I really wish is for an app for iOS that will work with any PDF created chart...hey, I can dream, right?)

Anyway....here’s my restart (I didn’t have another piece of 16 count, so I switched to 18 count).

Last edited by fccs on Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
wendywombat

Re: fccs’s Cache la Poudre May 2020

Post by wendywombat »

Sometimes it's the only way forward to start again when you Really want to get a choice design finished.

Brave girl and Well Done! :applesauce: :applesauce:
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

Well done, Debby. I would not have bothered with frogging either. It would have taken too much time which you will use for stitching. The picture is really beautiful. Looking forward to further updates. It must feel very special- to stitch your native landscape.
Lyudmila
fccs

Post by fccs »

Podolyanka wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 1:39 pm Well done, Debby. I would not have bothered with frogging either. It would have taken too much time which you will use for stitching. The picture is really beautiful. Looking forward to further updates. It must feel very special- to stitch your native landscape.
It is pretty cool. Here’s picture of the Poudre as it runs through town just a couple miles from my house. This is taken facing east, away from the Rockies and toward the Great Plains.

Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

and that picture you have taken would also make a wonderful stitchery. It is so peaceful and full of potential plus I want to know what is around the corner!

Your new start is going well and looking great Debby. :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Great start (or restart which is also what I would have done) on what is going to be an absolutely beautiful piece. I use GoodNotes which is an app that should take all pdf charts. I've never run into any problems with it. I find it to be pretty flexible. It's on my iPad. I've used it with HAEDs and currently have all the baby samplers I am working on also in it. don't know what the other programs are that you use, but I could certainly recommend this one.

In the meantime, I am so looking forward to your updates!

Carole
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
fccs

Post by fccs »

rcperryls wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 2:47 pm I use GoodNotes which is an app that should take all pdf charts. I've never run into any problems with it. I find it to be pretty flexible. It's on my iPad. I've used it with HAEDs and currently have all the baby samplers I am working on also in it.

Carole
I love GoodNotes and use it for a lot of my charts. For this one I’m trying SQ’s web based app to see if it’s easier than GoodNotes for this particular chart. There are 128 colors in this design, 102 of which are blended needle, so I’m trying to work out which is going to be better - SQ or GoodNotes.

I am using GoodNotes for the Bothy Threads I’m working on, and I used it for the sea turtle I recently finished. Even when they aren’t searchable, it is a great app.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
works4me

Post by works4me »

What a lovely design made even better by the meaning it has for you. So sorry you had to start over but you have made some good progress.
HAED Mind if I Hang Out -Page 17/36 finished. ?/154,350 stitches
Hang In There - finished, waiting for a decision on framing or turning into a mini quilt
Universal Monsters - finished, waiting in line to frame
fccs

Post by fccs »

There hasn’t been a lot of progress on the Poudre, but a little is better than nothing, right?

And just to keep it interesting, I’ll share a photo of what I saw on yesterday’s walk along the Poudre. I’m pretty sure it’s a bull snake. The trail he’s on is about six or seven feet wide, so he was pretty big. I backed up when I saw him and waited until he finally went into the grass on the side of the trail. I zoomed in to get the picture - I was not at all close to him.

Last edited by fccs on Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Progress is progress! :applesauce: :applesauce:

and :shock: :shock: :shock: to the snake!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Lovely progress on this one and however many stitches have been put in since the last picture - it is all progress. :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:

Umm you can keep your friend where he was headed. We don't need any more.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

Debby, you did the right thing- keeping "social distancing" :D .
Lyudmila
fiddler

Post by fiddler »

Beautiful picture. It looks so peaceful you just feel like walking along the river. Some times you just have to start again frogging take up to much time . Well done :applesauce: :applesauce:
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Progress with you super picture is ...well, progressing nicely!

As for the second picture I read the description and didn't look! :tizzy: :tizzy: :shock: :shock: :shock:

We need a Shiver Smilie! :shock:
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Debby, that's a fairly big snake... I understand that they are not venomous, but wouldn't like to be near one that big.

In the early 1970's, possibly 1972, but I can't remember exactly, my brother and I were in the garden of our quarters in W Germany, when we saw what looked like the tail of a toy snake sticking out from under stuff on the patio. I tried to pick it up, but it whipped away. It turned out it was a baby Boa Constrictor, only 6ft long...

After a lot of shouting, the Military Police turning up etc, it was discovered that the military Padre had smuggled both it and other snakes into the country to grow on for their skins. This one had escaped, and because it was held illegally, he didn't tell anyone. He was summarily fired and sent back to the UK. My brother, who was 2, maybe heading for 3, at the time has been terrified of snakes since.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation