Two symbols for the same color??

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

guenever

Two symbols for the same color??

Post by guenever »

I have this kit that I got very cheaply at Hobby Lobby

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Yarn-Needle- ... p/80739687

On the chart and legend, there are two different symbols for the same color.

Example:

HL# COLOR SYMBOL
501 Light Lavender N
501 Light Lavender V

This happens with three different colors. I have never seen this before. I am thinking that it's just a sloppy mistake. I have read a lot of complaints about the kit. I scoured the internet searching for the answer, but nothing.

I understand two symbols in one square, but I've never seen two symbols for the same color.

I plan on using the same color for the two different symbols...but I wanted to get your collective opinion since you have the expertise!

Thank you!
Linnea

God Bless!

"Maybe the past is like an anchor holding us back. Maybe you have to let go of who you were to become who you will be."

Visit my site http://www.freewebs.com/guenever/

WIP
Dragonfly Fairy
fccs

Re: Two symbols for the same color??

Post by fccs »

Is it possible one symbol is for a full cross and one is for a half cross?
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Could it be for a blended thread?? Have you tried contacting the manufacturer?

Carole
:?
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
guenever

Post by guenever »

fccs wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:43 am Is it possible one symbol is for a full cross and one is for a half cross?
I don't think so. Last night a spend half an hour in vain trying to upload pictures of the chart to post on the forum. There is nothing that distinguishes the full from partial stitches. The title above the column in which the symbols are reads "Full and 1/4 Stitches." They have a different column for the floss also used in backstitching.
rcperryls wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:29 pm Could it be for a blended thread?? Have you tried contacting the manufacturer?

Carole
:?
I don't think so, because there is only one symbol for each color. Even with the redundant colors, the symbols are singular. I have seen blended thread instructions before. Unfortunately, the brand is made exclusively for/by Holly Hobby and from what I understand people who have contacted Holly Hobby have not been very successful.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLIES!
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Could it be a different number of strands? I remember a friend of mine doing a kit where some colours were used in anything from 2 to the full 6 strands!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Roland

Post by Roland »

I was think8ng number of threads as well.

But, does the pattern say what N and V stand for?
guenever

Post by guenever »

Thank you for the replies! I didn't see these last two replies...I'm supposed to get an email.

There is nothing to indicate how many strands that I can see. The chart is pretty straight forward--except the backstitch is in color on the chart! :doh:

I chose N and V randomly. There are actual symbols that I can re-create on a keyboard. The thread is not DMC. The kit was made exclusively for Hobby Lobby. I am just going to use the same color for both symbols. Reviews have said that there is not enough floss in the kit for the project--of that, I'm not sure yet. I think it's just a mistake.

I appreciate the replies and if anyone else has any ideas I'd love to hear them!