Hyperventilating from sticker shock!

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

stryker

Hyperventilating from sticker shock!

Post by stryker »

I submitted my introduction (new member) in the Welcome section but it has not posted yet so I will give a quick synopsis....intermediate/advanced needleworker/cross stitcher who has taken a 20+ sabbatical and now picking up my needles again. Fortunately, I still have 80% of DMCs embroidery floss colors but will need to add the new colors introduced since the "turn or the century". @rotfl: Whenever possible I will be purchasing the majority of my basic supplies locally at a small independent needlework shop but the fabric selection is very limited and pre-cut. I have ordered some fabric online but the real shocker is the increase in the cost of the fabric over the past 20 years! I am hoping the members can give me recommendations of USA online suppliers which they have had positive experiences and transactions.

Thx, Mendi
karen4bells

Re: Hyperventilating from sticker shock!

Post by karen4bells »

:wave: Hello and welcome to the forum. My normal go to online site for ordering fabrics is 123stitch.com. They do have a wonderful selection of linen, evenweave, aida and other fabric types. They also have some very pretty hand dyed fabrics and are very reasonable in price. They are all precut sizes, but they also have a great selection of fabric sizes. Also, they are very dependable for quick service and quite reasonable shipping rates!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Hear, hear.
I have a local shop, but I fear I cannot afford them despite wanting to use them. At over £1 per skein, and 150 colours in my latest one.. I have to buy on the net as either I can afford to stitch with net prices, or I stop.
I don't want to stop.

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

My local shop closed well over a year ago and there isn't a replacement. What's left is the big craft stores and they seem to think that cross stitch isn't that important. I will use them to replenish my basic DMC threads, but for most anything else I go online. Like Karen, 123Stitch.com is my first go to site for fabric, needles (I like the petites)and a wide variety of "necessary" accessories. They have excellent customer service and if you need something special will try to assist you if they can. I also like Nordic Needle, and Herrschners. For charts and designs, I prefer charts I can download and there are so many websites depending on what you want. And several members have taken advantage of Richard's ever improving (he's always thinking of new ways to make his program more and more flexible and detailed) computer program for converting photos to charts.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I use 123stitch from time to time and have always found them really great, prompt putting in the post for me and a great range of fabrics and threads. For some lovely hand dyed fabrics Picture This Plus is awesome, extremely helpful and very prompt with orders too. There is also another lovely web site in the UK for hand dyed fabric but for the life of me I can't remember it and can't find where I stashed the info either - old age creeping up. :)
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Kuschelschaf

Post by Kuschelschaf »

I love 123 stitch! They're great! I also support smaller shops and am a huge fan of Ye Old Crossstitchery out of Bristol, PA. They have a great selection and Mary, the owner, is amazingly helpful.

I would, however, stay away from the company called Stitchlets. They don't offer realistic ETAs and are not helpful. While I did end up getting my fabric, it took over 3 months with no confirmation or communication.
Visit my new blog HERE

2019 finishes:
Mr. Sparkle
The North Wind
Nessie

On permanent hiatus:
Ferret in Sepia
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I find generally that 123Stitch has good selection and good prices and they are my go-to site for stitching supplies. I still like NordicNeedle, though. Their prices not the lowest, but I can't beat the customer service. I use Anita Little Stitches for needles because it's the only place I've found to get Bohin #28s in bulk packs.

WIP