Serinde's Galloway Hoard project UPDATE 5 May 19

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Serinde

Serinde's Galloway Hoard project UPDATE 5 May 19

Post by Serinde »

The Dumfries and District branch of the Embroiderers' Guild is running a project based around Viking, Anglo-Saxon and Celtic designs exemplified by the treasures from the Galloway Hoard. Jumping right in with both feet, I decided I had enough time to complete two designs, since they are only 10cm square maximum. :doh: Anyway, I think I have decided on the colours for the first, probably most difficult piece, which is a roundel. Unlike most "knots", this has open ends, and only after a course of looking at, did I realise it needed to be done as a "negative" -- filling in the spaces made by the knotwork. Then choices of colours for what was going to be satin stitch infill and, most difficult, the choice for the outlines (the knotwork).

I think I've settled on one strand of Sulky cotton 12 (colour 4028) which is a variegated grey combined with one thread of the new DMC Étoile C318. There were other possibilities, and I was much drawn to somehow using the "Bronze" Petite Treasure Braid (PB14), but I'd have to buy more and well, I thought the grey, in the end didn't draw the eye away too much from the real point of the design. I may buy some anyway, for the zoomorphic piece (which is the second one I volunteered to do... but more on that later). The other colours are dark blue, green and a deep red, with gold for accent bits. Oh, and maybe a bead or two...

Did I say there was a time limit? :shock: :doh: :roll:
Mabel Figworthy

Re: Serinde's Galloway Hoard project

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I love the colours, they are rich without being overly bright (if the picture is accurate). And Celtic knots are always a winner. Looking forward to the zoomorphic one too, is it like those illuminated capitals in medieval manucripts where letters morph into animals?
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Mabel Figworthy

By the way, I must admit the title first made me think of cows...
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: What a fun project that will be. How much time do you have to complete the project? How will all the designs be shown? Love the colors you picked for the first one.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Serinde you sure come up with some very different and oh so interesting designs to stitch and I will be watching this one with great interest.

You have made an excellent start and your colour scheme is spot on. :whoop: :whoop: :whoop:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Kuschelschaf

Post by Kuschelschaf »

Beautiful work, Serinde!! I love the colors! :wub: :wub:
Visit my new blog HERE

2019 finishes:
Mr. Sparkle
The North Wind
Nessie

On permanent hiatus:
Ferret in Sepia
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I've always had a fondness for Celtic designs!

Beautiful! :wub: You do find the most amazing and different subject to stitch...this one is no exception! :whoop:
Living up to your name again I think! :applesauce:
Serinde

Re: Serinde's Galloway Hoard project update 4 Jan 19

Post by Serinde »

Here's a few experiments for the "Galloway dog" (not Belted, either Mabel!). I have decided that I'll outline the knot work with stem stitch in Anchor Pearl 8 caramel (308). If I had more time, I might infill the channels with stem stitch but alas, I don't. All this has to be done by mid February.

You can see I experimented with chain stitch -- very quick and easy -- but realised that turning sharp corners made it very difficult indeed. I used Pearl 8 (top right), whipped and even Pearl 5 (bottom right) in hopes it would fill the entire channel. But those corners. :neutral: I was particularly hopeful for the curve at the top left, which is two rows of chain whipped with the bronze petite braid. Looks wonderful, but... I may try starting a chain from the turn to see how awful it actually looks. And I'm sure I've seen somewhere infill for chain stitch. Might just be straight stitch, of course. Help!

I think the stem stitch outlines will be infilled with a curious bit of yarn I have. No idea what it is, something I picked up somewhere. But! It has twisted into it golden stuff, about the diameter of a hair, together the colours pick up the bronze thing I want to have happening.As you can see, I've roughly couched it down. I haven't tried actually sewing with it (the fabric I'll use isn't as robust as this Normandie) but I might try (whisper it) glueing it down... :shock: Alternatively, I could learn to couch better!
Mabel Figworthy

Could you couch with blending filament to make it "invisibly visible"?

I love seeing these experiments! Like you I've seen infilled chain - I think it may have been back stitch, with each stitch going from the middle of one chain to the middle of the next. If you weren't aiming for a linear effect I'd suggest a French knot in every chain as another possibility. Hmm :thinks: what about bullion knots instead of the earlier described backstitch? Bit labour-intensive though :-(

Looking forward to seeing what you decide to go with!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

Oh My Goodness Serinde, you don't make life easy on yourself do you?

The colours you have chosen are lovely, rich and muted at the same time.

You have made a great start. :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:

Being doubly Celtic, Welsh with Irish ancestry I love Celtic designs too.

Is this a similar project to the Great Tapestry Of Scotland? That was a stunning read.
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Kuschelschaf wrote:Beautiful work, Serinde!! I love the colors! :wub: :wub:
I so agree!! Beautiful start and I look forward to seeing your updates on this!! :applesauce:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Lulu22

Post by Lulu22 »

I love your Celtic design Serinde it's beautiful :applesauce:
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

If you are a Facebook user, you can see what the Dumfries branch is up to with the Galloway Hoard project here.

I've decided that I'm not going to use the fabric I was given by my branch, which is very light (too light). I'm waiting for the arrival of some more Normandie fabric, and I'll back it with the flimsy stuff from my branch. Then the scary bit: tracing the design...! I'm hoping I'll be able to tack the flimsy fabric to the Normandie and this way have enough fabric to hoop up and then stitch. 10cm isn't a very big design, but I'd prefer to use at least a 5" hoop, not the baby hoop. Of course, I could always stitch "in the well", but suspect that wouldn't be a good idea for this project.
Mabel Figworthy

Thanks for the link, that's some more time gone :-)
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I had to be stern with myself and not get too nozey on that lovely website. Thanks for the link Serinde.

You certainly have chosen an unusual and lovely design to challenge yourself with and :x: your fabric gets there soon and it all comes together for you. :)
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

Oh Phooey I am not on FB, still I shall have to content myself with watching your beautiful updates.

I do love the colours in these projects.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I am a numpty. :doh: Yes. I really am. Yesterday, I realised which would be the best stitch to use for the dog -- plaited braid stitch, of course. :doh: But I really don't have time to practise it. So, next best option might well be Hungarian Braided Chain stitch. Nice and textured, takes curves and tight corners. Might be the thing! (And it's fast and easy -- bonus!)

These examples were done with #8 pearl cotton. #5 Pearl might be better, but I mustn't forget I have the dog's head to stitch, too, so that thread might be too heavy. I've tried the stitch with blending filament (the bit under the "L" shape). Tricky, not sure it's the right look, but might be better once it also has a plain stem stitch outline. The "L" is outlined in stem stitch done with one strand of floss and one of blending filament. It will definitely need the stem stitch, the question is, should the stitch include bling? (Possibly a silly question.)
Mabel Figworthy

Re: Serinde's Galloway Hoard project update 10 Jan 19

Hmmmm :thinks: :thinks: :thinks:
Not sure why you're a numpty for not thinking of plaited braid stitch. I spend many, many hours not thinking of plaited braid stitch :lol:
Seriously, it's a lovely looking stitch but oh boy it takes concentration. I've done a few trial runs and have never yet succeeded in working it without having the instructions right by my side, with occasional outings to Mary Corbet's video. Hungarian braid seems like a good alternative.
Now for the bling, well, instinctively I'd say Bling Is Good, but having looked at your samples I'm not sure. Any of the braided stitches takes its attractive look from the texture, and I wonder whether the bling intereferes with that, making the texture less regular.
The obvious answer to that would be "use it in the outline" but I'm not quite sure about that either. I hardly dare ask, but, well, does it need bling? Perhaps with all those textures there is enough of interest going on without the addition.
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Mabel, you might have a point about bling. Now, if the bling were the stitch (the Hungarian stitch done with metallics), that would be a different matter. However, even I am not demented enough (yet) to do that at this late stage. In any case, I suspect many other stitchers are going for the gold work option, so the colour scheme will be closer to the original bronze, which was my intent. (The hoard has 5 tiny gold pieces, I think; all beautiful.)

I am getting out the light box to trace the design out. I've bought a air erasable fabric pen, but don't expect to use it -- I tested it on a piece of fabric, and 4 hours later, it has already faded almost beyond being useful. May resort to a simple HB pencil or perhaps my water erasable pen, now that i'm not probably not going to be blinging it!
Mabel Figworthy

The air erasable thing sounds like a complete waste of time! I've found a .7mm (or .5mm if the stitching is very fine) HB propelling pencil a very useful tool, and do practically all my transferring with it.
Looking forward to seeing the bronze colour scheme and the final stitch treatment. (A lady on the MC FB group who does amazing 3D goldwork demonstrated an intricate braided stitch in gold passing - beautiful! but daunting...)
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page