DMC discontinued shades replacement

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Podolyanka

DMC discontinued shades replacement

Post by Podolyanka »

A problem with replacement DMC 504 is that despite its official analogue is 3813, in my chart the latter stands as a separate colour. Does anybody know what I can use instead of 504 under such circumstances? Thank you in advance for any advice.
Lyudmila
Mabel Figworthy

Re: DMC discontinued shades replacement

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

As far as I know, unfortunately there isn't a separate replacement :-(
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

If you can have a look on the DMC website, try 3817. It appears to be another light, grey-green, and might be a possibility. I would presume from these relatively new colour numbers, that 3813 and 3817 are at least in the same family of colours in hue or value.

How much do you need do you think? I have most of a skein of 504, and would gladly send you lengths or even the bobbin if there's nothing else that will do. :snowman:
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

Thank you, Mabel and Serinde. I do have most of DMC cotton, so have just looked and as it has to be darker than 3813 and lighter than 503, I did the following chain:

DMC 500- 501-502- 503-3813-158(Anchor). So in my work it will end in a slightly lighter shade(the chart wanted it to be DMC 500-501-502-503-504-3813).
That is all I can do. Thank you very much, Serinder, for your kind offer, but by the time the threads would arrive here (Christmas!), I will be hopefully sending the stitched towel off to England.

It is from Stitcher's World of Sept. 2004, "The Partridge Bellpull". I have had this magazine for so many years and somehow it never came to stitching this absolutely light, elegant and delicate design. Despite all the kilometres of backstitch, I do hope to cope by NY. The background on the bag-to-be can drive one crazy, not to mention the eyes not liking that colour. So this will work as some diversity.

Thank you again for your kind responses.
Lyudmila
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Sounds like a plan! (I did wonder if post was reasonable, and concluded it might not be, but worth the offer.) So glad you've come up with a solution that you are satisfied with, and, after all, who is really going to notice apart from you? It'll be your usual lovely stitching that'll take centre stage. :D