A stitching nightmare

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Lulu22

A stitching nightmare

Post by Lulu22 »

I haven't come across this until now but I'm quite cross with my cross stitch but a lesson learned and all that...

I've stitched about 2 and half pages of Snow and now one of the colours is looking quite different, the DMC 317 I bought recently is considerably darker than what I'd been using from my stash :tantrum: I'm not happy with this and didn't realise that this could happen so in future I will buy all the floss I need for the project I'm doing.

That was two weeks ago and so now I've reconciled myself with a restart, I have the pattern I have fabric and I'm going to CHECK all my colours before I start, fortunately there aren't many for this one, so 2019 will be a fresh start for it.

I have been consoling myself with Gamer Nouveau and have done a fair bit which I'll update soon :D

I'm actually hoping this post will help prevent this happening to anyone else.
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
Mabel Figworthy

Re: A stitching nightmare

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Oh how annoying! Well done you for taking it so positively and doing a re-start!

I'm lucky in that very few of my projects are big enough to require more than one skein of anything, but I did once use he end of one skein and the beginning of another and found they were quite different. Fortunately it was one yellow among several to do petals in a flower, so I just made sure the two different dye lots were used in different petals.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

It is always so maddening when that happens and Good on You Lulu for taking positive steps to sort it all out. :whoop:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Been there done that more than once and it’s not fun. Potential problem with large projects especially. Glad that you are working on something else and then plan on a restart. At least you learned from your first mistake. Took me twice and I’m still not as cautious as I should be :oops:

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Angelite

Post by Angelite »

I'm glad you haven't got too far with your project before you started using the new skeins Lulu. It would have been heartbreaking if you had progressed even further or were almost finished. Hope you can get back to stitching Snow soon.
~Vana~

Works in Progress:

HAED: Lily of the Valley
Heritage Crafts: Gypsy Caravans

2018 Finishes:

Anchor - Victorian Sampler
Heritage Crafts - Hard Frost and Winter Shoes
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

:tantrum: Hate it when that happens!
I had it once but luckily I noticed it early enough and I 'tweeded' together 1 strand of the 'old' and one of the 'new' together and it blended in quite well. Fact it added a different dimension to the piece. :D
cristaltipps

Post by cristaltipps »

It happened to me on a large project i had used a whole skein of a colour and ran out so got my second one out and it was so different and of course I had worked a large area up and down so the difference really smacked you in the face, everyone i know who stitched sorted through stashes to try to find the same shade with no luck. I resigned myself to the inevitable and spent days unpicking it all as the project was almost finished, went to buy more and would you believe they had 2 skeins only at the store and even they were not the same! i ended up redoing it all by using a strand from each skein and restitching had to be really careful to stitch over loose ends that were previously caught under this particular colour. I was in tears for days over it BUT the recipient couldn't have been happier and has it hanging pride of place in her living room. Iy would happen on the biggest thing i have stitched to date lol but like you i now ensure i have plenty before i start (wonder if its a cunning ploy to make us buy new stuff for every project?) good luck with yours Lulu it will be worth it in the end xx
Kuschelschaf

Post by Kuschelschaf »

DMC is notorious for doing that! My mother gave me a whole lot of floss when I started stitching. She basically gifted her stash to me. I was working on the Slipknot project and noticed that the greys were totally off. Thankfully I noticed it before I started stitching with it and I reached out to DMC. They informed me that the dye lots are uniform for the most part though some small variances may be noticable. :roll: This was like a whole 2 shades darker! :doh:

Glad you got it sorted out and have taken it so positively! I can't wait to see the fresh start!
Visit my new blog HERE

2019 finishes:
Mr. Sparkle
The North Wind
Nessie

On permanent hiatus:
Ferret in Sepia
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Sometimes it's because certain chemical become illegal to use and they have to change the formula - that was, I think, the reason why the 209 series of lilac/purple changed overnight to something much pinker than it had ben before.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
poppy

Post by poppy »

Lulu22 wrote:hat was two weeks ago and so now I've reconciled myself with a restart, I have the pattern I have fabric and I'm going to CHECK all my colours before I start, fortunately there aren't many for this one, so 2019 will be a fresh start for it.
Good on you, Lulu! :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:

(It is SO annoying when that happens.)
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
Lulu22

Post by Lulu22 »

Thank you so much everyone for all your kind words, I am sorry that some of you have also had this experience but hopefully bringing this to attention may help someone else.

Gamer Nouveau is a whole kit so I can rest assured the work I've done on that is fine :)

And I'm excited to do the restart in January :whoop:
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow