When do you tunnel?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

JoannaG

When do you tunnel?

Post by JoannaG »

I'm curious what everyone has to say about tunnelling your thread under previous stitches, especially when travelling.

On my previous projects up to 22 count, I always tunnelled my thread if travelling any distance more than 2 or 3 stitches (already given that up on the 28 count HAED :lol: ).

I also frequently tunnelled when ending a thread. Unless I could use a new thread to stitch over the previous thread end instead of tunnelling under older stitches, or I remembered to do the pin stitch.

A few days ago on another site I saw it mentioned in passing that tunnelling on higher thread counts pulls the stitches at the front. So now I'm curious as to what everyone has to say about it.

I tried searching for previous posts on this forum but kept getting unrelated hits. Apparently alot of us are searching for the light at the end of the tunnel. :P

Do you recommend tunnelling when travelling? Do you recommend only tunnelling on certain counts? Only if your tension is loose to start with?
What's your take on it?

Is tunnelling even the correct terminology?
Current WIP:
Design Works Frogpile
HAED Treasure Hunt Bookshelf SSMC

2017 Finisher:
Dimensions Ballerina Dreams
Mabel Figworthy

Re: When do you tunnel?

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Seeing the title of your post I wan't sure what tuneling is, but reading your explanation I can tell you I am a dedicated tunneler :-) . I've never noticed it pull stitches, even on 36ct over one; much depends on how thick a needle you're using, I suppose :thinks: :thinks:
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
cristaltipps

Post by cristaltipps »

I start with a loop and tunnel at the end always have and rarely had a problem, the only time it might pull is if i try to finish those last 2 stitches and the tail end is too small then i end up pushing the needle through the stitches then trying to get the teeny thread into the eye and pulled through but once through i find gently manipulation with your needle from the front gets rid of it.
I also carry my thread a fair way on the back and run it under or sometimes if it's unstitched but will be stitched over by shades darker than itself to hide it :)
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

cristaltipps wrote:I start with a loop and tunnel at the end always have and rarely had a problem, the only time it might pull is if i try to finish those last 2 stitches and the tail end is too small then i end up pushing the needle through the stitches then trying to get the teeny thread into the eye and pulled through but once through i find gently manipulation with your needle from the front gets rid of it.
I also carry my thread a fair way on the back and run it under or sometimes if it's unstitched but will be stitched over by shades darker than itself to hide it :)
I do exactly the same thing, unless I am stitching 1 over 1 (which I do on some of my HAEDs), in which case I can't begin with a loop start and have to cover the beginning of the thread by stitching over it for several stitches.

I don't think I've heard the expression "tunneling" before, but it is a good description of the practice.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
nannyrainbow

Post by nannyrainbow »

I put needle under a few stitches when starting & finishing threads. Not had any problems myself with this method. I think in the cross stitch books I have it says to run thread end under a few before cutting off thread. Also I often look on Scarlet Quince 'How To' pages to see what they recommend. :) :)
Del
poppy

Post by poppy »

JoannaG wrote:Is tunnelling even the correct terminology?
Well, Joanna, for me it is called tunelling from now on! :D

I practice tunnelling as you do : to finish a threat and to "travel a short distance" without any problem.
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I use waste knots and I park, so I don't have the problem of having to 'tunnel' when ending a thread or carrying a floater (except at the very end of the project when there won't be more stitches ahead to trap my tails). The reason I use those methods is so that I don't have the problem of getting the correct thread tension on the stitches and then having to jam a needle and extra thread under them, which then borks the tension in the affected stitches. I can see it on my work so I don't want to do it, but I don't look for it on other people's work. It's a matter of preference and how anal you want to be about it. On fabric like 14 or 16 ct, it's not a big deal, but when you do 25 ct or smaller over-one, it is very noticeable, imo.

WIP
JoannaG

Post by JoannaG »

poppy wrote:
JoannaG wrote:Is tunnelling even the correct terminology?
Well, Joanna, for me it is called tunelling from now on! :D
:lol: :idea: :lol: haha. Glad I could help :D
Current WIP:
Design Works Frogpile
HAED Treasure Hunt Bookshelf SSMC

2017 Finisher:
Dimensions Ballerina Dreams
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I have always "tunnelled" at the end of the thread or if going over more than 2 threads and never had a problem. I used to 'tuneel' wt the start too untul I learnt about loop starting on here. :)
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262