Had a tiny bit of Snow..

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Mabel Figworthy

Re: Had a tiny bit of Snow..

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Gorgeous!

Even in the Midlands the weekly shop was suddenly a bit more challenging...

Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

That looks 'interesting'...

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

I feel shy to add my photo of snow in Kiev. Looks like we are lagging behind you.

Last edited by Podolyanka on Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyudmila
richardandtracy

Podolyanka,

I thought our weather was coming straight from your area, or maybe a bit to the north east...
However, we rarely get much snow, so it causes disruption out of all proportion to how much we get.

Regards,

Richard
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

All the snow comes from Siberia as far as I know. At least here cold always comes from north-east.
Lyudmila
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Wonderful pictures. Too bad your snow is the dry kind Serinde. Pretty, but not much fun. When we had our once in a decade snow in January, it was very wet and the children were able to make snowmen and snowballs. We had a neighborhood snowball fight which I think had more adults than children. Is it unusual for y'all to get snow this time of year? Growing up in Chicago meant that snow was pretty certain even through March most years, which is great when you don't have to drive. Have to admit though once every few years (or decades) is enough for me now.
I do miss how lovely and peaceful and quiet it is during and right after a snowfall. Glad I got to see your pictures everyone.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Thanks for all the lovely photos friends, they have cooled me down nicely along with a cooling southerly breeze just getting itself into gear.

I do hope you will all keep safe and not do anything silly out there and hurt yourself.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

The snow pictures are so beautiful--I do miss seeing snow, but also don't miss the bad driving conditions etc that go along with it!! Stay safe everyone!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

nannyrainbow

Post by nannyrainbow »

bit more snow now but winds of 90 mph wrecked Holyhead marina. Always bad their, faces Ireland, so get westerlies regularly. And South Wales in Ebbw Vale snow drifted up to top of front door & person had to be dug out. What a difference a day makes. It was supposed to be worse today so they got it right again.
Del
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

That sounds scary Del, having to dig a person out of their home. Very hard to imagine that much snow falling in such a short time.

I sure hope everyone is safe and taking care outside with the ice and snow.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
richardandtracy

rcperryls wrote:... Is it unusual for y'all to get snow this time of year? ...

Carole
:dance:
This is UK wide, and the amount of snow is rare in the worst of winter. It is exceedingly unusual to have it at the start of meteorological spring.

Regards

Richard.
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

I live in Southern Ontario and snow is the norm here . We were scheduled for a blizzard like storm Thrus nite and Fr morning getting anywhere from 10 to 25 cm. We ended up with 6 cm. And with the temps in the double digits at the beginning of the week, the sidewalks and roads hard hardly anything on them. It was pitiful. (but I was happy) My friend lives 10 min away in Grimsby and she got 26 cm. To see that kind of show in the UK is amazing, I don't remember ever seeing any in South Shields when I lived there.
Linda
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

A few words about snow in the UK. When I was studying at school, in our English textbook there was a text on British climate and it said "Mild climate, warm winter, not hot summer, actually no snow". If not the photos, would not believe you can have so much snow!

In December 2006 when I was visiting Hertfordshire, it was raining cats and dogs all the time. By the end of the week I would go out into the rain without an umbrella, so used I got to that raining or drizzling non-stop.

Conclusion: snows becoming no wonder, soon you may be using winter tyres and fur coats, like we here do.
Lyudmila
richardandtracy

When I studied for my degree I studied in Plymouth, and in the winter of 1986/7 the rain started in November 1986 and stopped in February 1987. My motorcycle waterproofs never dried out and grew all sorts of interesting things...

Generally we have a very mild climate, but it's wet. Very wet. Except in the area where I currently live, where the rainfall averages 590mm a year, which makes us 'Arid' in geographical terms. The area is quite small, about 10 miles x 5 miles across, but it means we have half the rainfall of Egypt ( https://en.climate-data.org/location/126266/ ).

Regards,

Richard.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Richard, our cumulative rainfall in 2017 for my little village area was 1190.6mm, with only 119 days without measurable precipitation (yes, that means 246 days with something falling from the sky... who does these calculations??), and 5 whole months with no days where the temperature measured at any time below freezing, and four additional months with fewer than 5 days below freezing. Want some of our water?

If we have snow here, it is usually at the end of winter rather than the beginning, and usually small amounts. Of course, everyone remembers the worst (2010, 1963, 1947), when the norm is a couple of inches that melts to slush almost immediately. I'm pretty laid back about it all, having experienced 21inches of drifting snow fall in 8 hours back in 1967 when I lived in the US. Now that's snow. :snowman:
nannyrainbow

Post by nannyrainbow »

It must have been scary Sally.I wouldn't like to eperience that. Not heard of it before.

One of my friends has a daughter & grandchildren living in Kent, somewhere near Rochester- I think it is called Snodland? Don't know places in that part of UK. Only remember Rochester because of Dickens! Anyway, they had 7 inches last week & my friends grandchildren made snow angels & had fun with snowballs.

That friend is back in Wales since retirement but they've moved around a bit with her husbands work. After moving to Kent my friend had her daughter in Dec, 1971. A few weeks later the snow fell & was deep - her DH & male neighbours dug their way out of cul de sac into a side road & from there other men dug to main road. That was in middle of Kent somewhere. They had quite a few power cuts too - I remember my freind being really worried with a new born baby (her first) to look after but all turned out OK.

Amazing how the seaons vary in different decades. Hoe eveyrone is still OK as we had little more nsow overnight, Thawing now though so nothing like last week thankfully.

Still not got my crafting mojo back yet. Must get on with something soon. Been reading. No excuse though is it really? :doh:
Del