Luis Royo: Luz. Update 9 May 2020

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Wolfe85

Re: Luis Royo: Luz. Update 1 Nov 2018

Post by Wolfe85 »

Hi Richard,

I know what that is like, I've not worked on my large Wolf for a while. But done some small bits. The past few years ive been busy just working on the house.
I look forward to seeing more photos when you put them up :)

Wolfie
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I agree it will be great to see what progress you have made on this lovely one Richard. The days get so busy I know but it is worth continuing to stitch it from time to time I guess.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

There were multiple reasons for the hiatus. They included, but were not limited to stress from work, being the project manager for the design of a spacecraft transport container that was so complex it needed 22 electric motors, varying from 1 horsepower to 6 horsepower, the biggest leadscrews that are available from Germany and sliders that can easily move tanks. The thrust from the leadscrews can be up to 60 tons. And things went wrong at times. When the 3 phase power was connected the wrong way, the 60 ton thrust broke the machine with a huge bang. That wasn't the only failure.
Then I managed to have a very painful hernia that didn't allow me to rest my embroidery frame anywhere near my tummy. The operation to deal with it led to a 4" slice into my stomach, and reinforcing mesh being used. The whole was clipped together with stainless clips. The nurse who removed them took 40 minutes of agonizing torture to remove them, because she had never been trained in the use of the removal tool. It should have been 5 painless seconds per clip, not 5 agony filled minutes. Recovery from the operation took a month before I could go back to work, and 2 months before feeling comfortable.

So, have had a few distractions keeping me from stitching. Hopefully they are nearly dealt with and I can get on.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Wolfe85

Post by Wolfe85 »

Krikey Richard, does sound like a lot has happened recently between work and your health. Glad to hear your on the mend though eventhough its been a rough ride, but at least you have started to feel much better the past few months.

Aside from the obvious FUBAR with the work project, A Space Transport Module :shock: wow that sounds awesome. I'm a total geek/nerd so love stuff like that. Even if my understanding isn't great its still interesting to me.
Three Phase power that's quite hefty isn't it, not surprised it went with a bang being wired up wrong.
Hope the project is back on track for you though after all that's happened.

Best regards, Wolfe
richardandtracy

Wolfie,

The spacecraft being transported is one of the latest communications satellites. This is for the [up to] 5 tonne communications payload section of the spacecraft. The 1.75 tonne service module (the bit that keeps the spacecraft in the correct geostationary orbit using thrusters, ion engines and magnetic field reaction, and provides up to 80kW of power through the 400m^2 solar panels) is transported in a much simpler container designed by a colleague of mine. After the spacecraft has been fuelled up, the two parts are joined and put in an even bigger box by someone else, transported to French Guyana and launched on top of an Arianne 5 or [eventually] 6. The biggest growth version of the spacecraft my box caters for is currently bigger than the largest envisaged payload for Arianne 6, and a new fairing/launch vehicle would be needed.

Regards,

Richard.
Wolfe85

Post by Wolfe85 »

Hi Richard,

That one big satalite, I can imagine it's and advanced piece of kit, and they section your working on is obviously essential so I hope the project goes well.

Your job just sounds fascinating, high tech engineering is amazing stuff, if I had the mind for it I would have loved to go that route with a career. :o

I do hope you fully recover soon from the hernia and I look forward to more updates on your cross stitch.

All the best,

Wolfie
richardandtracy

Re: Luis Royo: Luz. Update 23 Apr 2020

As I said earlier, I have been working on this since I finished the last page of Gryff.

This is the chart image:

This is the actual progress:
As you can see, I have most of a face done. I have done about 3/4 of the top right quarter of chart page 6. So, I am probably just over half way through the project. The little red fishing line markers are 5 stitches long every 10 stitches, and they are 9mm apart, so the face is not very big. The figure's right eye had 26 colours in the 10x10 square covering the eye. So it was complex, but not as bad as 'I'm Watching You' (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=27900) which had 45.

Hope you like it..

Regards,

Richard
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: It is so good to see this one again! Half way through is huge when you have such a large and complex design. This is a fascinating piece to watch progress. You are doing an awesome job of stitching!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

"only" 26 colours in the eye, well, I am disappointed! *tries to keep a straight face; fails miserably*
Complex is about the right word - which makes your progress doubly impressive.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
poppy

Post by poppy »

Absolutely amazing, Richard. You must be very happy with how it is looking already. Can I see on face between squares 7 and 8, at the top....?
Well done! :applesauce: :applesauce:
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
richardandtracy

Hmm, a pouncing wolf maybe?. Never seen that before. It isn't very obvious in the real thing, but, yes.

Never seen it before. Very strange.

Regards,

Richard.
fccs

Post by fccs »

It’s good to see this one again. It’s good to see all your work, actually.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Great to see this one again and you are making good progress with it too. :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Wolfe85

Post by Wolfe85 »

It's great to see more of this work, and all those stitches on the eye wow. Regretfully by the time I saw your post, I couldn't see your photos :neutral:
Looking forward to seeing more when you add them.

Wolfie
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

That has kept you on your stitching 'toes' Richard!! Nice to see the face emerging! :applesauce: :applesauce:
Wolfe85

Post by Wolfe85 »

Wow just saw the photo, as its come up, probably hadn't downloaded to my phone properly earlier.
Looks fantastic Richard. Really great progress and the detail is phenomenal.

Wolfie.
richardandtracy

Well, thank you all for your comments. I am enjoying stitching again, I must admit. It is so nice to be released of the burden the box had become, and I am enjoying a relatively stress free time at the moment, which allows me to take time to work on something that I really like doing.

Regards,

Richard.
Wolfe85

Post by Wolfe85 »

richardandtracy wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:15 pm Well, thank you all for your comments. I am enjoying stitching again, I must admit. It is so nice to be released of the burden the box had become, and I am enjoying a relatively stress free time at the moment, which allows me to take time to work on something that I really like doing.

Regards,

Richard.
It is always great to be able to get back to things you really enjoy. I've been feeling really happy since I started stitching again, as its so relaxing and takes my mind off alot of the troubles and pressures in daily life.

Look forward to more updates, as you make more progress. Truly it looks so amazing.

Wolfie
Midge

Post by Midge »

Wow! That is fab. Looking forwards to seeing how it progresses.
2022 is yet another year of the UFO!!
Great Wall of China,
Peacocks and Pheasants,
Birds of a feather,
Hardanger Table runner,
TW Peacock Tapestry,
Milennium Sampler,
Yes, they are all STILL in progress!
Roland

Post by Roland »

Fabulous. :applesauce: :applesauce: