Mounting needlework, easy

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

seedreemer

Mounting needlework, easy

Post by seedreemer »

Hi everyone. I discovered this way to mount needlework using foamcore board and rust-free pins. I just mounted this angel yesterday, and I'm very pleased with the results (going to paint that frame silver, by the way). I got the frame for $1 at the thrift store, the foam core board was left over, and the pins were $3 and I only used half. So, for around $3 my piece is mounted and framed. Can't beat that!

Link to mounting instructions:

http://www.needlework-tips-and-techniqu ... titch.html

karen4bells

Re: Mounting needlework, easy

Post by karen4bells »

Great finish!! I have used similar mounting techniques in the past and have always been happy with it!!! Great find on the frame too!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I've used this method before. It's probably been at least 20 years ago that I first tried it. It's a quick-and-dirty way to get something mounted. I'll offer that you should use acid-free foam board, and I was happy to see that the instructions also recommended the same (though the link to the foam board on Amazon doesn't say it is acid-free). I mount my needlework under glass, so I prefer to lace it; but mounting it with pins makes it easy to take out to wash or switch needlework in the frame if you're changing your decor theme.

WIP
sina28

Post by sina28 »

Thank you for instruction!
Sina
fccs

Post by fccs »

Beautiful job.

I have always preferred using pins over lacing. For me, it's easier to get it stretched evenly. It can be heck on my fingers sometimes to push the pins in all the way when I'm satisfied with the stretching - I usually end up using a knife to press them in all the way. :-)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
cairee

Post by cairee »

I pin, but only to hold it square while I lace it.

I dont really like the idea of leaving pins in, not sure why it just doesnt sit right in my head.
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

cairee wrote:...I dont really like the idea of leaving pins in, not sure why it just doesnt sit right in my head.
I can't refute that. Sometimes it just doesn't sit right. I do know that you have to make sure the pins won't rust. The first time I did it, I used whatever cheapo pins I could get and they eventually rusted and stained the fabric. Nickel-plated brass pins are more expensive, but they don't rust and won't ruin the fabric.

WIP
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

Than you for this link seedreemer. I have heard of Carol Leather before but not gone onto her webpage until now. :D
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Allyn wrote: I mount my needlework under glass, so I prefer to lace it; but mounting it with pins makes it easy to take out to wash or switch needlework in the frame if you're changing your decor theme.
Since the pins don't stick out, why use lacing in conjunction with glass?
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Serinde wrote:
Allyn wrote: I mount my needlework under glass, so I prefer to lace it; but mounting it with pins makes it easy to take out to wash or switch needlework in the frame if you're changing your decor theme.

It's just a personal preference. I prefer lacing. Mounting under glass is, in my mind, permanent. Once the piece is framed, I don't take it apart to switch pieces, so lacing is permanent and framing under glass is permanent. Pinning is temporary and framing without glass is temporary.

I know logically that doesn't hold true. Frames with glass can easily be disassembled and some folks are quite happy having treasured pieces framed without glass. There's nothing wrong with pinning, as far as I can tell, as long as the pins won't rust. It's just in my mind that lacing/glass: permanent and pinning/no glass: temporary.

Don't hate me for it. Sometimes I can't make excuses for what my brain thinks. :)

WIP
fccs

Post by fccs »

Allyn wrote: Don't hate me for it. Sometimes I can't make excuses for what my brain thinks. :)
@rotfl: @rotfl:
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Allyn wrote:
Serinde wrote:

It's just a personal preference. I prefer lacing. Mounting under glass is, in my mind, permanent. Once the piece is framed, I don't take it apart to switch pieces, so lacing is permanent and framing under glass is permanent. Pinning is temporary and framing without glass is temporary.

I know logically that doesn't hold true. Frames with glass can easily be disassembled and some folks are quite happy having treasured pieces framed without glass. There's nothing wrong with pinning, as far as I can tell, as long as the pins won't rust. It's just in my mind that lacing/glass: permanent and pinning/no glass: temporary.

Don't hate me for it. Sometimes I can't make excuses for what my brain thinks. :)
Oh, don't worry about that! :lol: I sometimes use glass, sometimes not. All are permanent, but that might be because I'm lazy... Pinning just seems, well, so easy.
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Knowing the dust & cat fur floating in the air and the cleaning frequency in our house, anything we want to keep ALWAYS goes behind glass. Has to, or in 6 months the picture would be grimy & after 5 years completely invisible.

I think we have probably solved the sooty mould problem on the walls due to condensation in winter now, so that source of degradation is gone, we now only have to work on the rest. Just one of the penalties of living in an old house with an inefficient heating system and solid walls without insulation...

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
seedreemer

Post by seedreemer »

Serinde, I'm pretty lazy too hence my pinning rather than lacing. I hate any type of sewing and lacing falls into that category for me. I can't explain why cross stitch is different, lol. With this pinning technique I may stand a chance of getting my pieces actually on the wall to enjoy rather than stored in my closet. :?

I also noticed my beads are all messed up so I'll definitely straighten those when I paint the frame.

Debby, my fingers were killing me by the time I was finished. :shock: I rummaged around and ended up using the top of a chapstick tube to press the pins all the way in.

Richard, lol, completely invisible...here too what with all the cat hair and dust!
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

I just framed 2 pieces this way as well. I think I used the cross point of my scissors to stick the pins in all the way since they were at hand. :) Thanks for sharing the link!