Christmas Carols

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Rose

Christmas Carols

Post by Rose »

So just for a bit of fun tell us what is your

Favorite carol......

And then what is your most annoying carol............

For me I have 3 favorite: The little Drummer Boy, Silent Night and Mary did you know

The most annoying one of all times for me: The 12 days of Christmas
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
karen4bells

Re: Christmas Carols

Post by karen4bells »

Oh---now this is tough to really choose only a few of my favorite Christmas songs---but I love Silent Night, What Child is This, O Come O Come Emmanuel, and the Little Drummer Boy to name a few. The Christmas song that annoys me the most would be Jingle Bells that is done with the barking dogs---lol!!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Serinde

Post by Serinde »

My favourite carol is Angelus ad virginem (I have a particularly wonderful recording of it by the Tallis Scholars), and I'm also very fond of The Angel Gabriel's Message, Apple Tree and I Saw Three Ships. But then, I was brought up on a 1955 recording of the Nine Lessons and Carols from King's, so that explains many things... 8) I dislike most modern songs sung by "celebrities".
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

Hmm, favourite carol would be "O Tannenbaum"

Most annoying would be the new version of "Winter's Wonderland"
perftangel

Post by perftangel »

Hmmmm I really like Do You Hear What I Hear

And dislike any singer that takes way too much liberty with a classic song. Ugh. Basically any pop artists singing them. ;)
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

I love carols more than songs. My fave is O Come all Yea Faithful
Linda
crosstitcher1

Post by crosstitcher1 »

In this order:
The First Noel
What Child is This
Emmanuel
Drummer Boy
Silent Night
Hark the Harold Angels Sing
Away in the Manger

Don't care the "children" carols:
Rudolph,
Frosty
Jingle Bells

Like some on here, can't stand the Christmas songs sung "not true" to their form. Only like Christmas carols sung by, Bing Crosbsy, Jim Nabors, Dean Martin, and only female, Martina McBride.

HAPPY STITCHING IN STITCHING LAND. :applesauce: :D :applesauce: :D
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

My very top favourite is O Holy Night - it gives me goose bumps every time I hear it.

Dislikes - anything that is played over and over and over.

Strangely I have yet to hear a Christmas Carol played anywhere and my radio broke so can't play my tapes yet. Even the shopping malls are silent on the carols - so far this year. ???political correctness gone wrong?
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
msufly

Post by msufly »

Favorites: Carol of the Bells and Sleigh Ride, though I also like all of the classics by Crosby, etc.

Dislikes: Feliz Navidad, Blue Christmas (Elvis), and songs that really aren't related to xmas, like Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring. I like the song but it's not xmas.
Kim

WIPs:
A Summer Ball - Sandy Littlejohns
Camelot Sampler - Teresa Wentzler
(And 14 more!)
fccs

Post by fccs »

As far as actual carols go, O Holy Night is by far my favorite; it truly moves me. Christmas songs in general...O Holy Night is still #1, followed closely by Do You Hear What I Hear (especially by Bing Crosby...oh what a voice!) and a duet with Bing Crosby and David Bowie singing Peace on Earth and Little Drummer Boy. Love love love that!!! Oh, and I'm partial to Gene Autry's Christmas songs (especially Here Comes Santa Claus).

What I dislike...I'm probably in the minority but I really dislike the Christmas Song (chestnuts roasting.....), as well as Feliz Navidad, and Dominick the Donkey. Those three gets lots of play on my car's Sirius and I always change the station.

I also refuse to listen to Christmas music in my car or at home until the day after Thanksgiving, and the last day to listen is Christmas day.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
msufly

Post by msufly »

fccs wrote:I also refuse to listen to Christmas music in my car or at home until the day after Thanksgiving, and the last day to listen is Christmas day.
I agree!

And add 2 more to my dislikes: All I want for Xmas is my 2 front teeth and I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas. I'll change the radio station if those come on.
Kim

WIPs:
A Summer Ball - Sandy Littlejohns
Camelot Sampler - Teresa Wentzler
(And 14 more!)
cairee

Post by cairee »

Oh Holy Night has to be a favourite, but 12 days of Christmas is a close second.
O little town of Bethlehem is another favourite, the list of favourites is nearly endless really.

least favourite: Santa Baby.

as for when to play them, from dec 1 - 25th. then from dec 26-31 its new years songs. :D
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Actually one of my fave is sung by Bing Crosby and David Bowie. Two songs that you won't think would go together but worked out perfectly. Haven't heard it in years and forget the titles of the songs, anyone remember them?
Linda
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

mauveme wrote:Actually one of my fave is sung by Bing Crosby and David Bowie. Two songs that you won't think would go together but worked out perfectly. Haven't heard it in years and forget the titles of the songs, anyone remember them?
LOL Linda---looks like you, Debby and I all like that one---I'd forgotten to add it to my list but Debby has it
fccs wrote:a duet with Bing Crosby and David Bowie singing Peace on Earth and Little Drummer Boy. Love love love that!!! .
Work in Progress
Various small designs

pattiebelle

Post by pattiebelle »

I like the song "Ring Christmas Bells" when it is sung acapella. And of course, "Oh, Holy Night" when it is sung by someone who has a true singing voice. Most of today's "singers" just scream and call it singing.

I also don't like most popular songs: I saw mommy kissing Santa Claus, Jingle Bell Rock, Feliz Navidad, All I want for Christmas is my 2 front teeth, etc.

Don't hear alot of caroles any more. Also don't hear "Merry Christmas". It's happy holidays. Makes me sad, sometimes, to see where being "pc" has led us.

SO! MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYONE!!!
pattiebelle

"Gratitude is memory of the heart" (Jean-Baptiste Massieu)
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

When I was an army brat in Germany we used to go out and sing carols with the local German choirs.
I can remember singing 'Silent Night, Holy Night' in the original German with the temperature hovering around -10C (14F), lit by candles just outside the Dom in Paderborn. Lovely memories.

Other than that, 'O Come, O come, Let us adore him' in Latin as we sang it at school has another wonderful resonance - belting out 'Venite, Venite, Adoramus' by candlelight in an incense filled barn of a chapel with a massive organ crashing out the tune. Loved it.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

karen4bells wrote:
mauveme wrote:Actually one of my fave is sung by Bing Crosby and David Bowie. Two songs that you won't think would go together but worked out perfectly. Haven't heard it in years and forget the titles of the songs, anyone remember them?
LOL Linda---looks like you, Debby and I all like that one---I'd forgotten to add it to my list but Debby has it
fccs wrote:a duet with Bing Crosby and David Bowie singing Peace on Earth and Little Drummer Boy. Love love love that!!! .
Yes thank you. I remembered Drummer boy but not the other. I remember that neither were thrilled with eachothers choice for the song then decided to do them both. Worked out brilliantly.
Linda
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

mauveme wrote:
karen4bells wrote:
Yes thank you. I remembered Drummer boy but not the other. I remember that neither were thrilled with eachothers choice for the song then decided to do them both. Worked out brilliantly.
Glad to help---I didn't know that info but it surely did work out beautifully---I have it in my Christmas collection of music! :)
Work in Progress
Various small designs

fccs

Post by fccs »

On the way home from work today, I heard another Christmas song that I really enjoy...don't laugh, okay? It's The Chipmunk Song by Alvin and the Chipmunks. It never fails to bring a smile to my face. (No, I'm not five years old. Why? :-) )
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Rose

Post by Rose »

I like that song as well Debby. I like the silly songs as well. Rudolf, Grandma go run over by a reindeer, and The hat I got for Christmas is to big.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror