what to use for washing?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

annastasia76

what to use for washing?

Post by annastasia76 »

I was reading the thread on washing but it didn't seem to answer my question.

I just finished a large project and went to wash it, I put a gentile detergent on it but it smelled so strong of perfume that it got me thinking, for long term projects (as in I want this to last through my kids' lifetimes) what is the best way to care for these, is there enough acid in the detergents to damage a project over time?? I am planing on using vinegar to help get rid of any soap residue but again will the vinegar damage it over time??

I washed out the original soap I used an rewashed in purex clean and clear hoping that it will take away the perfume smell
Arianwen

Re: what to use for washing?

Post by Arianwen »

I use Ariel washing powder for my pieces and I don't find it smells too strong. I only used a small amount in a sink full of water, leave it to soak for a few minutes then swish it round a bit and 'scrub' any stubborn marks with a soft toothbrush. Then I do a few clean water rinses, squeezing out the water from my project between each fresh tub of water. When the water runs clean then I know the soap is gone, and I often do one more rinse to be absolutely certain
Current WIP's

HAED What Lies beneath Dakota Daetwiler
Disney Dreams The little mermaid / Fantasia by MCG textiles/Thomas kinkade

Spinning/wool craft
Ramie in toureg/sunrise
Heather Mulberry Silk in 'Gladys
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I have always used dishwashing detergent in half a basin of water. It helps to get rid of any of the oils from our hands which is why I decided on using it. :D
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
cindywindy

Post by cindywindy »

I soak my work in a sink full of water with some baby shampoo for about 10-15 minutes and then I rinse until the water runs clear.
meganh

Post by meganh »

Squirrel wrote:I have always used dishwashing detergent in half a basin of water. It helps to get rid of any of the oils from our hands which is why I decided on using it. :D
I do the same and have always used Dawn ,rinsed well and iron, I have never had a problem ans some of those washed pieces have been hanging over 25 years,
Seeds of Friendship
Mermaids(Country Cottage Kids)
Various smalls and Christmas ornaments
Dessert makes me Happy
CCN Mermaids
Christmas Ornament SAL
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I only use Orvus on my needlework. Orvus from Proctor & Gamble is PH neutral, fragrance-free and soluble in both hot and cold water. It's an anionic synthetic detergent that contains no phosphorus, and is completely biodegradable. When you rinse it out, everything is rinsed out; unlike other soaps and detergents that leave behind fragrances and 'conditioners' that aren't necessarily good for your needlework. If you Google it, you'll see that a lot of museums and conservation societies use it for their textiles other than silk. (Don't use Orvus if you put vinegar in the water, either.)

You can buy it in small bottles -- 8 or 10 ozs -- in needlework and craft shops as quilting soap, but it's really over priced that way. You can get it in a large tub a lot cheaper from a local livestock supply house. It's sold in large tubs as horse shampoo.

http://www.conservationsupportsystems.c ... ents-soaps" target="_blank
http://www.ote.ie/orvus-wa-paste" target="_blank
http://www.generations-quilt-patterns.com/orvus.html" target="_blank

WIP
Athalie

Post by Athalie »

I've been using baby shampoo in warm water to wash my finished products for over 60 years and have never had a problem with it.
Rose

Post by Rose »

I throw mine in the washing machine on the gentle cycle with just regular laundry soap and Downey softener.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

Allyn wrote: You can buy it in small bottles -- 8 or 10 ozs -- in needlework and craft shops as quilting soap, but it's really over priced that way. You can get it in a large tub a lot cheaper from a local livestock supply house. It's sold in large tubs as horse shampoo.

Thats what I use as well.
I have the small tubs from the needlework shop. I didn't think it was too expensive. 8oz jar has last me for years- I think I paid $5-8 for it about 5 years ago. A little goes a long way.
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

MaggieM1750 wrote:
Allyn wrote: Thats what I use as well.
I have the small tubs from the needlework shop. I didn't think it was too expensive. 8oz jar has last me for years- I think I paid $5-8 for it about 5 years ago. A little goes a long way.
I guess I get carried away and need the jumbo size. :) I use it for all my hand washables (needlework and ladies' things), I've used it as a clarifying shampoo and I wash the dog with it. It's wonderful stuff.

WIP
curly sue

Post by curly sue »

Does Orvus work well on general laundry? I stay away from scented products for laundry.
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

curly sue wrote:Does Orvus work well on general laundry? I stay away from scented products for laundry.
Yes, I've used it in the washing machine, but it might be more expensive than an unscented laundry detergent for everyday use. I buy unscented detergent because my husband doesn't like products with fragrance.

WIP
perftangel

Post by perftangel »

I wash mine in cold water in the sink with the same stuff I use on my bras, The Laundress Delicate Wash :D
curly sue

Post by curly sue »

Allyn wrote:
curly sue wrote:Does Orvus work well on general laundry? I stay away from scented products for laundry.
Yes, I've used it in the washing machine, but it might be more expensive than an unscented laundry detergent for everyday use. I buy unscented detergent because my husband doesn't like products with fragrance.
Thanks! My husband has problems with scented products and as to laundry products, he sometimes gets a rash as well as the inhaled issues.