Blush on Lugana cloth

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

dolphinsandi

Blush on Lugana cloth

Post by dolphinsandi »

I'm working on a project that says to put blush on the Lugana cloth for the cheeks and I was wondering if there was a best way to do this. I don't want to ruin all my hard work.
Allyn

Re: Blush on Lugana cloth

Post by Allyn »

OKay, lots of Views but no replies. :) Let me see if I can get the ball rolling.

What project is it? Can you share some of the details? What exactly do the instructions say?

WIP
Athalie

Post by Athalie »

I tried this once and used the palest blush I could find, you can always add a little more but can't take it off once it's applied. I used a cotton bud to apply it. It was quite successful but I really prefer to use a very pale thread (one over one) to detail the cheeks.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Not entirely sure what the result of adding cosmetics to thread would be in the long run. Like dolphinsandi, I would be tempted to use a method of stitching which would add detail in a colour of your choosing. It's possible to do an entire area in fractionals, which would give you more control over very fine detail.
dolphinsandi

Post by dolphinsandi »

Its the nativity set from Cross Stitch and Country Craft from back in the late eighties. Looking back at the pictures its really just a shadow of a color. And I saw a post where they were doing blush on yarn animals with paint and took most of the paint off the brush before they put it on the yarn. So maybe if I use the cotton nub tip and just a little bit of the blush that would be OK. Thanks for your help.
meganh

Post by meganh »

Interesting....I think i would test it on a scrap of cloth first to see if you lke it and how much to do, personally i would us half stitches to shadow, who knows what chemicles are in the blush.
Seeds of Friendship
Mermaids(Country Cottage Kids)
Various smalls and Christmas ornaments
Dessert makes me Happy
CCN Mermaids
Christmas Ornament SAL
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

Not that I've done this before, but the way I'd do it (after lots of testing on scrap) would be to use either a Q-tip, or even a very small paintbrush or makeup brush. Get just a tiny bit of blush on it and wipe *most* of it OFF on a tissue, and use what little is left to add just a hint of color, repeating the process multiple times to build up the color in layers till it is as dark as you want. The reason for doing it this way instead of applying a single layer is that you're less likely to end up with clumpy bits because you're applying so little at a time. And to be honest, before I even started, I would probably try washing one of my test pieces in a bit of warm water with either a mild shampoo or dawn detergent to see how well the applied blush can be removed. This way you have a backup plan incase it doesn't go as expected, you'll know that you can wash it out.
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge