Hardanger Question

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Jilly

Hardanger Question

Post by Jilly »

I have lots of DMC and Anchor Pearl # 5, they are both used for Hardanger, but the problem is to have fun with them I would have to spend a fortune on buying the #8 weight. my question is, has anyone ever used the ordinary stranded cottons instead for the fillings, if so, how many strands, and does it look ok?
Serinde

Re: Hardanger Question

Post by Serinde »

I have only seen stranded cottons used for satin stitch motifs. A single strand of floss is thinner even than No. 12 pearl cotton. You would need two, probably, for fillings, and the possibilities for a knotty mess... :shock: However, wrapped bars and some fillings work well with metallics, something like Krienik very fine braid (no. 4).

A ball of No. 8 pearl lasts ages, I've found, so aren't necessarily as expensive as they might seem. Why not concentrate on Satin stitch hardanger with cut outs that don't need fills?

Sorry if this seems a counsel of despair. You can try 2 strands of floss, but you must promise to report back!
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Thanks Serinde, I will have a play, I wonder what would happen if I were to cord a single strand of floss :lol: I will not be afraid :dance: :dance:
If only they did small wound bobbins of #8 as well as normal floss, my pearl collection is very large, many pretty colours, I must do something with them :lol:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Well, I will be really interested in your discoveries. I work quite a bit with pearl 8 and 12, and the number of colours for the 12 are very restricted. Economics, I guess.
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

My NS has just arrived :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: just as I have to go to work :(
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

:applesauce: :applesauce: (there's ironic, Lachlann)
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Had a quick flick while eating my kit-kat, like the Blackwork :D
See you later :wave:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I'm looking at the Dutch tile ship. :ratherbe: