I'm Curious....

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

LastingAllure

I'm Curious....

Post by LastingAllure »

What is your oldest work in progress and how long have you had it around... intending to finish it eventually?

Photos are not only allowed but encouraged! ;) Maybe some WIP pictures if this sparks any stitching bugs!
fccs

Re: I'm Curious....

Post by fccs »

My Tulips Medley is my oldest...started in May 2013. I haven't worked on it for months but I hear it calling to me...psst...over here.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
curly sue

Post by curly sue »

I do one piece at a time, so no unfinished works here except the one I'm working on. My last piece needs assembly to make an ornament, but I will do that when I do the current project, as they go to the grandchildren and require sewing.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Well I have 1 piece stowed away, my Victorian House which got into the too hard basket about 18 mths ago. One day when my cataracts are gone I may get it out again - its on 18ct dark blue aida. :lol:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Oriettait

Post by Oriettait »

My oldest one is the HAED Peacock in full bloom, I started him on march 2013.
--
Leave nothing on the beach except footprints
:wip:
HAED World Travel Bookshelf
HAED Tree frog
HAED QS Ladybug
HAED Dragon Rip
Instagram @oriettait
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

This has to be my oldest WIP. It is actually very much a UFO, started by my mum donkeys years ago (she can't remember when) and handed to me to finish. I think the umpteen colours of backstitch put her (and me) off finishing it. This may just spur me on to getting it done :oops: :lol:
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason
Trio Godspeed Sistine Chapel

Around the World in 80 stitches, Herbularius
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

I have two, one is Summer Ball which I have every intention of finishing at some point!! The other is a Dracolair creation called noon Rising which I started before I joined the forum. It was way too difficult for me and I struggled with the fractionals, and I just don't know if I can salvage it or not!

Nxxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
dawn0621

Post by dawn0621 »

Looks like I'm the record holder so far. Started Portrait of Wisdom over 13 years ago. It was put away for a long time because it made me crazy and I was really hating the person it was intended for. I finally pulled it out and decided to work on it anyway. Happily I'm finally pretty close to the finish.
Dawn
:wip:
Italian Vista
HAEDs - Autumn, Come Together, Sunflower Bee, I Put a Spell on You
Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy
I Believe in Santa
Autumn Leaves Bookmark
Autumn from Etsy

Finished ~Hummingbirds

sleeplessstitcher916 on Instagram
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

As I only started stitching last summer, I don't have any really old ones. But my oldest is Nursery Rhymes, which I hope to finish before it's a year old. :)
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
natural_isis

Post by natural_isis »

Teresa Wentzler's Peacock Tapestry has been in my UFO pile for 17 years now, and I'm not really sure why. I really didn't mind working on it. Perhaps it needs to move up to WIP status soon. Hmm ......I wonder what other treasures I've got hidden away. Time for a stash diving expedition. If I don't resurface within a week, send a search party.
Wips: Sadness of an Angel-Haed, Flower Girl- Haed, Bookworm Fairy- Haed, Ghost of A Rose- Haed, Babysitting- Haed, Red Tulips- Mystic Stitch, Pompiean Lady- Haed
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

natural_isis wrote:Time for a stash diving expedition. If I don't resurface within a week, send a search party.
It should probably be a search party of non-stitchers, otherwise they'd get sidetracked trying to find you mid-stash.
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
perftangel

Post by perftangel »

Well, I started a TW Spring Carousel horse back in... 2003-ish. I was doing it on 20 count, over 1. Needless to say it was a pain in the butt (thanks fractional stitches). I've since decided I should complete it, but on an even weave instead, but I haven't gotten the desire to restart, even though I hadn't done that much to begin with... I guess I consider that to be my oldest that I still plan to finish someday, but as a new project.

I can probably dig up some pictures when I'm at home. :)
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

My oldest is about 13 yrs old. I know that because at the bottom of the design, I've signed and dated it and it says MM 01

Its "done" as its charted. But.. when I got it all done, I realized that I wanted to modify it a bit. I want to add another adult, and another kid. Haven't quite figured out how to do that yet... but I also haven't put much time into figuring it out either. Thought about it quite a bit- but haven't put pencil to paper to find where to fit them in. Back in 2001.. I didn't really know how to modify patterns, how to make things up and fit them into the pattern. Now- there is hardly a chart I do that is done exactly as charted- something has been modified along the way.

But this one sits. For 13 years. Waiting for more people. And to be turned into a pillow. (But, I don't have the pillow form, or the backing fabric either)

DahliaDoll

Post by DahliaDoll »

MaggieM1750 wrote:Now- there is hardly a chart I do that is done exactly as charted- something has been modified along the way.
Mine too, but not intentionally! @rotfl:
Beautiful work!
My Blog: Crafting is My Busy-Ness

乁( •_• )ㄏ
Lulu22

Post by Lulu22 »

My oldest project is Alice and Snow White I've been working on it for 2 years not even halfway yet, but it doesn't matter much as my husband has promised to make me a frame however he's only just made our son a doorframe and that took him ten years so there's no rush :lol:
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
Kezzy

Post by Kezzy »

Mine is 21 years old - it is the letter "K" and was my first attempt at counted cross stitch. It is just waiting for the French knots to be done because I had no idea how to do them plus I didn't realise at the time that I needed to do the French knots on top of the cross stitches so there are a few scattered stitches to be done. Maybe I should dig it out as I know exactly where it is...... Apart from that I do have a couple more lying around which are at least 4 years old :oops: :oops:
2014 Finishes:
Wedding Sampler
Sepia German Shepherd

WIPs:
Castles in the Air - Parts 1-3 finished
Welsh Alphabet Sampler

Future Projects:
Hardanger Wedding Sampler
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

My White Wolves is at least 10 years old, possibly longer. I haven't touched it in more than a year, but I hope to get at it this year. :)

Here's the last photo:
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

The oldest one I have is Chance Encounter by Rebecca de la Tour -- 16 or 17 years ago. (It was either 1997 or 1998.) It was charted in Anchor, but I used the DMC equivalents and really didn't like the way the shading was coming out. This is the project that decided me always to use the floss that the design was charted in if there's a lot of subtle shading. I won't finish this one, but since my eyesight is better, I've been thinking about starting the chart anew.

WIP
nachosmiley

Post by nachosmiley »

My oldest WIP is my Altair chart which I started back in 2011...can't remember which month and I didn't write it down at the time :roll: I do write my start date for bigger pieces down now just for my own curiosity. Anyhoo he is 66% complete and still features in my rotation from time to time....he will be done at some point....maybe in another 3 years but we shall see :lol:

W.I.P.
My Altair chart 66.11%
Chatelaine Mystery XV-Deep Blue Sea 6/12
HAED Mini Fairy Book 43.55%
HAED Lady in the Meadow 13.07%
Finishes
Duality
Zelda valentine
Beware of the DM
HAED SK Oak King
Magic Dragon
Rose

Post by Rose »

I absolutely hate to have an unfinished project anywhere in my house so I don't usually have any UFO's around. That said I just finished up my oldest project and that was the angel quilt. It took 20 years but that was along with other projects being worked along side and work and raising kids and life in general. Also none of the angels went half finished I always completed one before moving on to another unless I had several WIP's going at the same time. Not much stays unfinished for more then a year. I just can not stand to see it neglected like that. If for some reason the project gets the UFO tag I throw it in the bin so I don't have to see that it is unfinished. So far only 2 projects have had this indignanty. Could not be helped with one as I had stitched it the wrong way on the fabric and after having at least 60% of it finished and no way to make it right it got the toss. The other was being made for someone that really destroyed my love for them and no matter how I approached the project I could not get past the hurt so once again in the bin it went. So currently my longest project is something I am stitch along side my other projects. It is big and full cover so will take some time to finish but it is going well. I think I started it in August of 2013. Will have to pull out my notes to confirm that date though. I admire those that can keep a project for years and not feel the guilt it would give me. I stitch it in between starts and also when I need a break from a current project so it gets some good attention. And it is actually a piece that I plan to keep...... :shock: For myself.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror