sammy_v

Re: Lacemaking

Post by sammy_v »

Hats off to u indeed, fantastic work. :applesauce: :applesauce:
mags

Post by mags »

Oh how wonderful 8)

Thank you for showing us your lovely work. And I do like the silver lace jewelry :D
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

What an amazing skill to have, these are so beautiful :D
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:'just practice pieces' she says :shock: :shock:
If those are just your 'attempts' I wonder what the perfected articles will look like :-)

And i love the silver lace, so delicate and elegant! (Is it available in England? I've got an anniversary coming up :-))

Well Lenka is from Canada and it took a bit of getting it through customs but I can't see why it can't also go to England. I have a necklace also but it didn't want to lie right for the picture. She does wonderful work... though I do warn some of her webpage is specific to theater and a bit...risque. .... still beautiful but not for everyday wear. :D
WIP:
Mirabilia Christmas Elegance
Keeshond
Tropical Heart
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

~threadbear~ wrote:They are exquisite!

Absolutely beautiful.

I am in awe of the beautiful lace you make as well. It is such a talent to have.
How long does it take in comparison to cross stitch? Is it something that makes up quickly?
(I mean basic designs compared to basic and then more complicated to an intricate piece of cross stitch).

Hi Tbear, Sorry I didn't answer your questions. I'm still trying to catch up on all the postings.

I'm a bad person to ask about the timing. If I worked at either one of them consistently and not get distracted by other stuff it might be easier to say. I tend to think that a simple cross stitch like the ATC cards we're making would be "comparable" to a bookmark and when you consider prep, set up and all, on an hour to hour basis it probably takes about twice as long to do the lace. I'm guessing there. A complicated project though would definitely take much longer from what I've seen. When I compare the timing that I've seen posted by some hard-core stitchers versus my lace teacher I would say that it is definitely much longer for a complicated lace project. Part of that though is the lack of instructions. There are lots of books but if you start working on some of the older patterns, unless you draw it out, you don't have the chart to follow so you're going by trial and error. One of the pieces in the practice pictures above both Laura and I gave up on. While the pattern was gorgeous, it was very old, the pattern wasn't trued up (meaning the pin holes didn't lie right or logically) and one of the fillings was a very obscure one that took Laura 4 months to find references to. (I'd given up by then!) I'm actually thinking of contacting one of the master lacemakers and see if she could true up the pattern and change out the filling for me so I could work the pattern. Or at least identify the filling and give me something to work from.
WIP:
Mirabilia Christmas Elegance
Keeshond
Tropical Heart
mysterystitcher

Post by mysterystitcher »

Absolutely stunning! I could pass out!
Best: MysteryStitcher

My needlepoint blog: http://mysteriousstitching.blogspot.com

My knitting blog: https://mysteriousknitting.blogspot.com
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Now why did I read your wonderful posts lacemaker.

" I learnt" basic Torchon lace for about 10 weeks (back in NZ) before our tutor followed her husband (a uni prof) to a post in Europe somewhere. I was acutally thiniking just recently about my pillows and bobbins etc. and whether I should get them out or pass them on. I did several lengths of lace edgings, to go around a couple of heart shapes , as gifts for brides in the family, but little else really. I do have a couple of instruction books as well.

To answer a couple of the questions -
how do you know which bobbins to use - I always made the beaded loops on the bobbins the same colours, as in Torchon lace anyway, they are moved in pairs so that made it easier.

How long does it take? A length of 3/4 to 1 inch wide length would take me (still as a beginner) about 40 hours. If I can find any photos I will see if I can post them.

I totally agree about an obsession. As soon as my daughter saw me get out my pillow and start work, she said "goodnight see you tomorrow".

Since moving to Australia I have become addicted (a little) to patchwork and quilting but my first love is cross stitch and there really aren't enough hours in the day.

Thank you for sharing your wonderful pictures and long may you continue to enjoy the wonderful art of lace making.

Squirrel
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Fljotsdale

Post by Fljotsdale »

Awesome, Lacemaker! :applesauce: :wub: :applesauce: :wub: I have often thought I would like to learn lacemaking, but it seems so complicated! I've done a bit of fine crochet 'lace', with a crochet hook, and that's hard enough! I'm dead impressed with your skill! :wub:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVDUTAn6Ttg" target="_blank"

Watch Leonard and the young singer! ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye6JssTdnvw" target="_blank"

Cohen's son, Adam.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiP3PkLoMdI" target="_blank
mig-3

Post by mig-3 »

~Pulls jaw off floor & locks back into place~ I'm glad this topic popped up. That's just gorgeous.
Jarvis
mysterystitcher

Post by mysterystitcher »

Gorgeous indeed! My skills pale in comparison. But on the other hand, I just think that np is my thing...same as knitting.
Best: MysteryStitcher

My needlepoint blog: http://mysteriousstitching.blogspot.com

My knitting blog: https://mysteriousknitting.blogspot.com
2Danes

Post by 2Danes »

mig-3 wrote:~Pulls jaw off floor & locks back into place~ I'm glad this topic popped up. That's just gorgeous.

Me too! How simply beautiful :wub:
Happy Stitching,
Heather

WIP:
Butterfly Alphabet: DS 07/13/10

Planned:
Shades of Red
Taj Mahal Mandala Garden
Tempest In a Teacup