New November Bingo: INSECTS! 11th numbers posted

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

rcperryls

Re: New November Bingo: INSECTS! Second numbers posted

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: for the info and the pictures These definitely look like creatures from outer space. They wouldn't look odd in a lot of the scenes from Star Wars (especially in the bar scene from the first movie released, now called IV, or in the races in the 4th movie released, now called I). :( none for me in Bingo though. I think they are getting back at me for calling them creepy crawlers :roll:

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Ketta

Post by Ketta »

Yes! That's what I was thinking, too...the Mos Eisley cantina in Star Wars! (Knowing the name has truly pegged me as a sci-fi nerd, I'm sure). Also, the assassin bugs that paste corpses to themselves made me think of the Reavers in Firefly.

Hopefully the creepers that you picked will get picked soon... :)
Blog: http://ketta-ketta.blogspot.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=12786" target="_blank" target="_blank (bug)

http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=13419" target="_blank (Serenity)
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

If you are interested in sci-fi creepy crawler insects and haven't seen Ender's Game yet, I highly recommend it. It is one of my all time favorite sci books (I loved the first three, not too many of the later books in the different series, though I have read most of them) and I was pleasantly surprised at how well they followed the story. Card was a co-producer so I'm sure that helped a lot. We saw it at the IMAX and though its not 3D the size of the screen really made me feel like I was in Battle School also. From another sci-fi nerd.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
ersa76

Post by ersa76 »

How interesting pictures! but as I'm a booksaddict I could never choose the silverfish order.... and no numbers then. :(
hularac

Post by hularac »

No numbers for me today either. Silverfish got into my yarn awhile ago and I threw out quite a bit of it. Nasty, slithery things. Hoping for more "happy" insects in tomorrow's choices. --Carol in Honolulu (termites rule here)
cairee

Post by cairee »

one yesterday and one today puts me at 2/10
very interesting facts and pictures of all the things that make me shudder
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
stitchingmae

Post by stitchingmae »

That puts me up to 3/10
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

Hemiptera gives me 1/10! :dance:

I second Carole's recommendation of Ender's Game. Well, I recommend the book, as I haven't seen the movie yet. The series as a whole is pretty good, but the first book is by far the best.

Carole, I'm glad you liked it the movie so much! It makes me feel much better about going to see it. Ender's Game is also one of my all-time favorite books, so I was worried about what they would potentially do to it in movie form.
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
Ketta

Post by Ketta »

I didn't even know there was a movie out already! I've read all the books as well, Ender's Game of course being a favorite. I also liked the one about his friend that grew up on the streets (can't remember the name right now) quite a lot.

WIP: http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=12786" target="_blank" target="_blank (bug)

http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=13419" target="_blank (Serenity)
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Ketta wrote:I didn't even know there was a movie out already! I've read all the books as well, Ender's Game of course being a favorite. I also liked the one about his friend that grew up on the streets (can't remember the name right now) quite a lot.
Bean is the boy. The only problem is that there are parts that could have used a bit more explaining. but I always think that with movies made from books.
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

I have one so far.

Loving the info so far. I've been far more interested in insects since my sister started working at a Butterfly house. They have some very interesting insects there, giant cockroach etc. she gave us 4 Atlas moth pupae and so far one hatched. She was huge and beautiful. She's laid unfertilised eggs all over the living room, including on one of my cross stitches, ooh I was mad with myself for not taking it down!! But most of the glue has come off now. She died the other day :( my sister also gave us a bunch of Madagascan bulls eye moth caterpillars and we fed them and looked after them until the made their pupae. So they should hatch around Christmas.....

(Probably using the wrong terms above....)

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
stitchingmae

Re: New November Bingo: INSECTS! Third numbers posted

Post by stitchingmae »

hmm I am seeing the title saying third numbers? but i am not seeing a third set?
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Me neither. Maybe they will be online shortly. :applesauce:

Very interesting so far Ketta - especially the silver fish. I can remember my mum going nuts when she found them in the linen cupboard once!!!

I have 4/10 now.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Ketta

Post by Ketta »

Apparently, the internet ate my post from last night! I've been having spotty internet issues since last night, and no internet at home this morning at all. I'm on campus right now, so I'll make a brief post with last night's numbers and images. I apologize for the confusion!

The picks were:
7. Blattodea
26. Siphonaptera

Blattodea-the cockroaches

This order now includes termites, but I kept them separate in their own order because I ran out of enough to make for 30 choices. :)

Only about 30 species (out of over 4,500) are pests to humans, and most of those are small in comparison to the rest. Long admired for their resilience and ability to adapt in terms of natural selection and mutation, cockroaches are also studied on their intelligence.

Our old 'friend', the house roach:

Right after ecdysis (shedding)...I do find the quizzical tilt to this fellow's head kind of cute:

What most cockroaches look like (these are quite harmless):

Siphonaptera, fleas!

Another pest, this one mostly affects our furry companions. Able to jump many times their body length, highly resistant to pressure (if you've ever tried to kill a flea by smashing it, you'll find this to be true), and when in their pupal state, very little can kill them. This is why it's always recommended to do two treatments, 2-3 weeks apart, so you get those that were in pupae as adults, before they can breed more babies in time.

A highly magnified 3-D image of a flea:

Sorry for the shortness, but I was pretty bummed when I saw the internet had eaten my post! Look for another one tonight, and sorry again for the confusion.

bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

None for me today.

Random fact: I am allergic to flea bites, so when I get bit, the bites become the size of regular mosquito bites. I believe that for most people, the bites are not even noticeable. Before I knew this, I was very confused as to how I was getting mosquito bites in the middle of December, in very large quantities. I also act as a flea detector as once I went to visit my grandmother, and after about two minutes on the couch, I had fleas jumping all over me. Her cat must have brought them in, but she wasn't even aware that she had them. They never jumped on her, just me. Weird!

Also, my cat is also allergic to fleas, so she breaks out into rashes and small sores if she gets them (which is very rare, since she's an inside cat).
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
nachosmiley

Post by nachosmiley »

Hooray for true bugs and fleas! (Not something I thought I would ever say!)

Fleas give me the heebee jeebees....once when I was a viewing rep for an estate agent I had to show a house that had just come on with the agency. Anyway I decided to pop round before the client as sometimes the door locks/alarms could be a right pain and it was always better to go in looking professional i.e. actually able to open the door, etc! Well this one house was vacant and when I walked through the door a veritable cloud of fleas jumped onto my legs.....the poor things were obviously starving but, needless to say, I was rather unimpressed and quite distraught at this turn of events and ran screaming out the door trying to get then off me! When the client turned up I warned him of the bloodsucking booby trap and informed that I would not be entering until it was fumigated but he was very welcome to look round if he wished....ever since that fateful day me and fleas are sworn enemies :lol:

Oh I'm now on 2/10 and loving this bingo....very interesting :D
W.I.P.
My Altair chart 66.11%
Chatelaine Mystery XV-Deep Blue Sea 6/12
HAED Mini Fairy Book 43.55%
HAED Lady in the Meadow 13.07%
Finishes
Duality
Zelda valentine
Beware of the DM
HAED SK Oak King
Magic Dragon
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Still at 0. I think this is the worst start I've ever had in a bingo. But since the picks were cockroaches and fleas I'm okay with not having either. We get these huge cockroaches which we prefer to call Palmetto bugs. They are thoroughly disgusting. (nothing cute about them at all!). Laverne and Shirley are both indoor cats but if I neglect putting "Revolution" on their necks, especially during the summer they will get fleas. Fleas are so common around here that just going out on their little catio or someone bringing fleas in on their clothes from outside is not uncommon. Still at 0/10 but I'm okay with it.

Carole
:roll:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

None today and you can keep cockroaches thank you. Over here they are huge beasts yukky. Dear old Mischief (our last fur baby) used to bring them in all the time.

So sorry the internet ate your first post Ketta, not the way to be nice at all. :D
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
hularac

Post by hularac »

Hmmm ... just wondering which bug got Ketta's missing post?
stitchingmae

Post by stitchingmae »

hularac wrote:Hmmm ... just wondering which bug got Ketta's missing post?
Lol none for me today :( so must admit these pics are makong me a bit squemish!