Monsters! Bingo- WINNER

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

bookknurd

Re: Monsters! Bingo- Sign ups closed, first numbers tomorrow

Post by bookknurd »

Let's get started! Here are the first numbers.

#1, 12

#1 Banshee

A banshee is typically a fairy woman who is perceived as an omen of death. Banshees and other similar creatures can be found in Irish, Scottish Gaelic, Welsh, Norse, and American mythologies and folklore. While banshees are usually depicted as ugly hags, they can also take the form of an extremely beautiful woman. Banshees are often thought to wail or keen in some way either at someone’s death or as a warning that someone is about to die. The sound that the banshee makes varies by region and can be anything from a high keen that can shatter glass to a “low, pleasant singing” to the sound of an owl. In fact, the screech of the barn owl (which has long been associated with Irish culture) is a possible explanation of the origin of this creature.

#12 Cockatrice

This creature has been around in English myth and culture for centuries. The cockatrice is basically a cross between a roosters and a dragon. Cockatrices were thought to be able to turn people to stone or to kill them simply by looking at them (or in some cases breathing on them or touching them). The cockatrice is supposedly born from the egg of a chicken, which has been incubated by a toad or a snake, although this may not be possible with just any chicken egg. It is thought that cockatrice’s could be born from a cock egg (a yolkless egg thought to be laid by a rooster). If you should find a yolkless egg among your chickens, simply toss the yolkless egg over your house, making sure it lands on the other side without hitting the house itself. Should you ever have the need to rid yourself of a cockatrice, it is said that they will die instantly if they hear a rooster crow, but if you don’t have a rooster on hand or the cockatrice has already killed it, then you can always try to get it to look at itself in the mirror. This may be difficult as the cockatrice can also fly.
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
rcperryls

Re: Monsters! Bingo- Day 1 numbers up

Post by rcperryls »

Good start for me with #1. And great info. I never heard of a Cockatrice before and definitely hope not to see one. :shock: ever. This is a great subject for this time of year. And amazing pictures.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
JazzeyBear

Post by JazzeyBear »

I've got one number today. Off to a good start
An Angel in the book of life wrote down my baby's birth. And whispered as she closed the book "too beautiful for earth."

2013 Big WIPs
HAED Sistine Chapel
HAED 2013 SAL Heather
Blessings
HAED Libra
Forest Chapel
pattiebelle

Post by pattiebelle »

woohoo!

I'm at 1/10. (this is a good one ...)

:wub:
pattiebelle

"Gratitude is memory of the heart" (Jean-Baptiste Massieu)
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

One for me as well.

We actually had a yokeless egg from our hens! It was very tiny....don't think we had a cockerel at that time though......scared now.... ;)

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

Here are today's numbers!

#4 Kraken

This giant squid has been the subject of much speculation and study over the centuries. They are generally thought to inhabit the waters of Greenland and Norway. There are several early accounts describing kraken, dating as far back as the 13th century. Although the authors of these works seem to believe that the kraken exists, even they admit that there is much that is unknown about these beasts, like exactly how big they or exactly how many of them are dwelling in the cold sea. Regardless, sailors have long reported sightings of the beast (or beasts in some cases). Sailors have the most to fear from the kraken, as the creatures are thought to be capable of not only sinking ships with its long tentacles, but also swallowing them whole. And that’s not to mention the whirlpools that can form in the kraken’s wake, offering plenty of danger to ships even if the kraken passes them by. Modern scholars will tell you that any historical reference to this creature was based on sightings of the giant squid, but I would still be wary if I were to sail in those waters.

#10 Mermaids

Most of us are familiar with this creature, who is half woman, half fish. References to mermaids can be found in cultures all over the world, from Europe to Africa to the Caribbean to China. Although some claim that mermaids are benevolent creatures (there are many accounts of them falling in love with sailors), there are others who would prefer not to come across them. In the British Isles, mermaids have been considered bad omens, predicting trouble for ships at sea (and sometimes being the ones to cause it). The “rusalkas” of Eastern Europe are actually considered to be the spirits of young women who died unexpectedly or violently and who dwell in rivers and lakes. These creatures take the form of beautiful women with pale skin and long green hair, and will lure young men into the water to drown them. Though no scientific evidence supports their existence, there continue to be reported sightings of mermaids around the world to this day. I would recommend keeping your distance if you spot them, as I'm not sure how you tell the difference between a good and a bad mermaid.
diamondradleylover

Re: Monsters! Bingo- Day 2 numbers up

Post by diamondradleylover »

ooo I have two :D

You have really great information and some really cool pictures.
WIP's

Cupcakes of the Month: Cupcake Two
HAED Mini Strawberry Surf
Cottage of the Month October
Gorjuss Winter Friend
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

3/10. Love all the info! Playing RPGs and fantasty games I'm actually familiar with these monsters (like the cockatrice and Banshee), although I didn't know their origin.
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

What kind RPGs do you play, Laura?
JazzeyBear

Post by JazzeyBear »

2/10. So far so good.
An Angel in the book of life wrote down my baby's birth. And whispered as she closed the book "too beautiful for earth."

2013 Big WIPs
HAED Sistine Chapel
HAED 2013 SAL Heather
Blessings
HAED Libra
Forest Chapel
Angel

Post by Angel »

Oooh today is a good day for me. Both are on my list.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: one more for me makes 2/10. When I saw mermaid in the list, I pictured the sharpened shark like teeth of the mermaids in the last Pirates of the Caribbean movie. Interesting info. Hard to believe that seamen saw manatees and mistook them for mermaids. But then, they had been at sea for a very very very long time. :roll:

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Still not on the board but you have certainly found some interesting informations to go with the pictures Dana. :D
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

rcperryls wrote::applesauce: one more for me makes 2/10. When I saw mermaid in the list, I pictured the sharpened shark like teeth of the mermaids in the last Pirates of the Caribbean movie. Interesting info. Hard to believe that seamen saw manatees and mistook them for mermaids. But then, they had been at sea for a very very very long time. :roll:

Carole
I did too, originally, but I really liked this painting. :)
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

2/10......

Love the monsters....

Nx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

Today's numbers!

#14 Baba Yaga

Baba Yaga appears frequently in Slavic folklore. She is considered a supernatural being, who takes the form of an ugly (often deformed) and ferocious woman. Sometimes Baba Yaga is used to refer to a trio of sisters, all of which share the same name. She has many distinguishing traits associated with her, such as her tendency to fly around in a mortar wielding a pestle and her hut, which stands on chicken legs. Baba Yaga’s nature can be ambiguous as she could just as soon help you as eat you (as she does many children, after roasting them in the oven). However, she may test your mettle, and if you are found to be brave, she could help you. Should you be a hero looking for adventure, you can usually find her deep in the forest.

#25 Mare

Also called a “nightmare”, this creature (usually thought of as an evil spirit or goblin) will sit atop people’s chests during their sleep (or “ride” them), causing them to have bad dreams. The word mare originates from feminine nouns, so the mare is often depicted in some sort of female form. While nightmares are what they are most known for, this is not all the mayhem the mares can cause. A mare can also “ride” horses, so that they are covered in sweat and exhausted in the morning. In addition to giving you nightmares, she can also cause your hair to be tangled (which is frankly just annoying). Similarly, they can ride trees and cause their branches to be entangled. To ward off mares, try putting a broom upside down behind your bedroom door or putting your belt on top of your sheets.
Angel

Re: Monsters! Bingo- Day 3 numbers up

Post by Angel »

I'm at 3 now
diamondradleylover

Post by diamondradleylover »

I'm on 3 :D
WIP's

Cupcakes of the Month: Cupcake Two
HAED Mini Strawberry Surf
Cottage of the Month October
Gorjuss Winter Friend
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Baba Yaga sounds awfully creepy. But she gave me another so I'm 3/10 now!

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

verajane wrote:What kind RPGs do you play, Laura?
Oh, as a teenager I used to play paper and pen AD&D, but I'm a gamer and been playing PC games since I was 12, from Ultima Underworld, through Baldur's Gate, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, and of course, World of Warcraft, just to name a few.

Babba Yaga used to be on a brazilian children's book I read, loved it!

5/10 as I got both today. :dance:
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)