Monsters! Bingo- WINNER

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

bookknurd

Re: Monsters! Bingo- Day 3 numbers up

Post by bookknurd »

LadyS wrote:
verajane wrote:What kind RPGs do you play, Laura?
Oh, as a teenager I used to play paper and pen AD&D, but I'm a gamer and been playing PC games since I was 12, from Ultima Underworld, through Baldur's Gate, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, and of course, World of Warcraft, just to name a few.

Babba Yaga used to be on a brazilian children's book I read, loved it!

5/10 as I got both today. :dance:
That's cool. I'm a gamer too, although not a super serious one (I don't have time to be without giving up other hobbies I like). I love RPG type games, though I've never really gotten into a major MMORPG. My SIL and I have been talking about doing Elder Scrolls online though once it's released. I have a really nice computer now and would love to play on it. I'm also interested in playing pen and paper RPGs, though I'll have to find somewhere to as I don't really know anyone who does locally.
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:lol: Finally got on the board so am now 1/10.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
pattiebelle

Post by pattiebelle »

none today, but at 3/10 from yesterday ...

love the pictures, and the stories are so interesting.

:wub:
pattiebelle

"Gratitude is memory of the heart" (Jean-Baptiste Massieu)
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

verajane wrote:
LadyS wrote:
verajane wrote:What kind RPGs do you play, Laura?
Oh, as a teenager I used to play paper and pen AD&D, but I'm a gamer and been playing PC games since I was 12, from Ultima Underworld, through Baldur's Gate, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, and of course, World of Warcraft, just to name a few.

Babba Yaga used to be on a brazilian children's book I read, loved it!

5/10 as I got both today. :dance:
That's cool. I'm a gamer too, although not a super serious one (I don't have time to be without giving up other hobbies I like). I love RPG type games, though I've never really gotten into a major MMORPG. My SIL and I have been talking about doing Elder Scrolls online though once it's released. I have a really nice computer now and would love to play on it. I'm also interested in playing pen and paper RPGs, though I'll have to find somewhere to as I don't really know anyone who does locally.
I am definitely gonna play Elder Scrolls Online! :)
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

LadyS wrote:I am definitely gonna play Elder Scrolls Online! :)
Cool! We'll have to play together sometime!
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

Today's numbers feature a frightening pair!

#9 Chupacabra

The name of this monster translates to “goat sucker”, describing its typical behavior of attacking livestock and drinking their blood (especially goats). This creature is particularly interesting because these attacks have only begun to be reported in recent history, starting in 1995 in Puerto Rico (although sightings have also been reported elsewhere, such as the U.S.). A few months after the first report, there was record of an incident in which as many as 150 livestock and pets were killed, all having their bodies bled dry through some small circular incisions or punctures. The appearance of the chupacabra has been described in various ways, from a reptilian creature, with leathery or scaly green skin and spines along its back, to a type of wild dog that is hairless and has a more pronounced spinal ridge. There has been much investigation dealing with the existence of this creature. In the United States, reported sightings have been attributed to coyotes infected with a parasite that would cause hair loss, thickened skin, and an foul odor, causing them to have similar features to the chupacabra.

#26 Nuckelavee

This terrifying being originates in Orcadian folklore. Not all sources agree on the form that this creature takes, but by far the most disturbing depiction is that of a horse with the torso and head of a man growing out of its back, completely lacking skin. The Nuckelavee is actually an elf who resides in the ocean. He is often held responsible for causing woes such as epidemics and droughts and is said to have breath that can wilt crops and sicken livestock. Should you have the misfortune of being chased by the Nuckelavee, try to find a river or stream. If you can cross it, you can be mostly assured that he will not follow, as he is thought to have an aversion to running water. He also does not like the burning of seaweed to made soda ash, although this should not be used as a method to ward him off as it will cause him to go on a rampage, bringing destruction to crops and livestock, and only the Mither o’ the Sea (another Orcadian creature) can stop him.
rcperryls

Re: Monsters! Bingo- Day 4 numbers up

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Good day for me. I got both so I'm at 5/10! Nuckelavee is one scary creature :shock: !

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Angel

Post by Angel »

None today...
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

Oooo, I didn't know about the Nuckelavee, very intersting!

6/10

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Still 1/10 . :D

WIPS
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

I think I'm going to have waking nightmares after seeing the Nuckelevee....one scary ass beastie...

I have 3/10 now.

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

Here are today's numbers! I had to post the photos in the gallery because I am doing this at work and do not have access to Photobucket. Enjoy!

#7 Oni

These gigantic, humanoid creatures are found throughout Japanese folklore. Their appearance is somewhat like that of an ogre, with sharp claws and two long horns on their heads. Often they are shown carrying iron clubs (called kanabo) and wearing tiger-skinned loin cloths. Oni are a kind of yokai, which is a class of supernatural beings in Japanese folklore. Originally, oni were invisible spirits who went around causing disasters, illness, and other bad things. Throughout history, though, they have sometimes been associated with protection or warding against bad luck. Sometimes a village will have a ceremony to drive away oni, where they will throw soybeans outside their homes and chant. Also, it is thought that monkey statues can protect against oni.

#22 Loch Ness Monster

The Loch Ness monster is perhaps the most famous cryptid (an organism whose existence has been suggested but is not recognized by the scientific community). Although interest in this creature did not really begin until 1933, there was a 7th century account of an Irish monk encountering a water beast in the River Ness. Even cryptozoologists (those who study cryptids) have debated the merits of this source. In 1933, there were several reported sightings of some sort of creature in or near Loch Ness. Since then, there have been countless studies and expeditions to find the Loch Ness monster, some resulting in supposed photo or video “proof”. However, in 2003, the BBC sponsored a complete search of the Loch, utilizing sonar and satellites which allowed for a fairly high resolution search (they could detect a small buoy). There was no creature of significant size found, and the scientists working on the expedition claimed that this was essentially proof that the monster lived in myth only.
Fizzbw

Re: Monsters! Bingo- Day 5 numbers up

Post by Fizzbw »

Ooh another one for me....

Proof that the Loch Ness Monster does NOT exist would really hurt some tourism!!

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Oh good 1 more for me making it 2/10 - good old Nessy. :D

WIPS
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

Enjoy today's numbers, which feature a classic monster and a not-so-classic monster. :)

#3 Undead/Zombies

The zombie craze has swept the world, so there probably aren’t many people left who haven’t seen these creatures somewhere in popular culture. Traditionally, zombies are magically animated corpses. They feature prominently in African and Haitian folklore. In some traditions, living people can be turned into zombies by a witch or sorcerer, while in other traditions zombies are made from the bodies of those who have already died. Often, these zombies are thought to be created for use as slaves by the sorcerer. There has been some research done into the zombie tradition in Haitian, specifically around the thought that a zombie-like state can be induced with the use of drugs in the form of powders. In most popular culture sources, zombies can be defeated by destroying their bodies completely, but in voodoo legend, you can also make a zombie return to the grave by feeding it salt.

#17 Wampus Cat

This creature is featured in American folklore and stems from traditions in Cherokee mythology. Supposedly, there was a Cherokee woman who covered herself with a cougar skin so that she could spy on the men of the tribe and learn their secrets, as they sat around the fire telling sacred hunting stories. The woman was discovered, and the tribe’s medicine man turned her into a beast that was half-cat, half-woman as punishment. This creature is said to reside in the forests of Tennessee. In some parts of Tennessee, it is thought that if you hear the cry of the Wampus Cat, that someone will die and be buried within three days.

The wampus cat has someone significance to my local area, as it is the mascot of one of our high schools (Conway High School in Conway, AR). Their mascot takes a slightly different form of what is basically a cougar with two extra legs coming out of its chest (see picture below).

Angel

Re: Monsters! Bingo- Day 6 numbers up

Post by Angel »

YAY! ZOMBIES!!!!
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

No numbers past two days but some new monsters I didn't know about. :D

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Wampus Cat brings me to 6/10! There are a lot of monsters that could be around on Halloween. I'm staying indoors.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

Finally managed to catch up with my numbers. I'm on 5. Fascinating info, if a little scary :applesauce: :applesauce:
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason
Trio Godspeed Sistine Chapel

Around the World in 80 stitches, Herbularius
diamondradleylover

Post by diamondradleylover »

I have 5/10 now. :D
WIP's