Back to cross stitching

Welcome to our forum. This is the place to introduce yourself, if you wish.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Cabelltech

Back to cross stitching

Post by Cabelltech »

After 10 years or so, I'm back to cross stitching again. My name is Kelly and up until recently I've devoted my hobby time to knitting. I love to knit! But I can have more than one hobby, right? And so, I'd like to get back to stitching too and hope that spending time here will help motivate me to spend my time stitching along with knitting. After 10 years, I've realized that my eyes aren't quite focusing as they used to be and the 18 ct stitches sure a little difficult to see. I'm using reading glasses when I stitch and that is helping some. If anyone has any other aides that have helped I'd surely be interested in hearing about it. And now I am off to explore this site and find myself some motivation.
willow

Re: Back to cross stitching

Post by willow »

Hi Kelly, welcome to the forum :D Another must is a good source of light .
kiwirach

Post by kiwirach »

Hi Kelly, welcome to the forum :wave:

you sound just like me!!. i'm back to cross stitching after a 20yr break, and i've had to get glasses!!. i knew i needed them, but the stitching really showed how much i needed them, so i got tested and new specks followed two weeks ago - makes a world of difference!!.
i, and the rest of the forum no doubt, look forward to seeing what you're working on :)
my blog

WIP
Little House Neighbourhood - LHN
Oriettait

Post by Oriettait »

Hello and welcome to the forum! :wave:
for small count I use a magnifier, the kind that clamp to your stand and has a flexible arm to position it over the area you prefer. I found it to be a huge help.
--
Leave nothing on the beach except footprints
:wip:
HAED World Travel Bookshelf
HAED Tree frog
HAED QS Ladybug
HAED Dragon Rip
Instagram @oriettait
Peepfaleep

Post by Peepfaleep »

Oriettait wrote:Hello and welcome to the forum! :wave:
for small count I use a magnifier, the kind that clamp to your stand and has a flexible arm to position it over the area you prefer. I found it to be a huge help.
I use reading glasses and the large magnifier that clamps to your frame or table. (123 stitch) It has an 18" neck I believe. I love it but it is heavy. It stretches over any place on my frame. Right now I clamp it to my table, coffee table or end table. Just ordered a table top frame so I will see if it works on that. Welcome back! I think you will find that you will start stitching more rather than knitting. I am a quilter and haven't done any quilting for months. I think I have to create a goals list. That may help.
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

Hello and welcome :wave:
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

I've had bad eyesight since the third grade. I'm actually nearsighted (so I can't see things far away), but I'm so nearsighted that I can't really see things up close either! (unless they're about a foot away from my face...) I have a floor stand that I love because I can pull it really close to me on the couch without compromising my posture. I'm also waiting on a floor light/magnifier combo that I hope will help with the higher count fabrics.

I hope you find the right set up with you so you can get to stitching!

Also, if you like, please share photos of your works in progress or finished pieces. We love seeing pictures!
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:wave: Hello Kelly, and welcome to the forum and welcome back to stitching! I've had glasses since I was a teenager and with age came bifocals too. I determine when I need a new prescription based on how easy or hard it is to see my stitching. When I stitched on only 18ct afghan fabric seeing wasn't a problem. However, having discovered HAED and higher count fabrics for those and for other designers that I stitch 2 over 2 on 32 ct fabrics, I found I needed much more. A floor stand (or can be a table stand) Magnilite makes a world of difference. There are several types available and we have had a lot of threads on that subject. Floor lamp? is just one of them I found. It's nearly a year old but gives you a good idea of what is available.

Looking forward to seeing your work and getting to know you.

Carole
:D
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
janikins

Post by janikins »

Hi Kelly

Like Oriettait I use a magnifier. It is part of a craft lamp so there is also a clamp to hold charts and a daylight lamp - as has also been mentioned, good light is also essential. There is also a caddy with hooks for holding threads but cats and threads don't mix so I don't use that part!!! I knit too by the way but crossstitch is my real passion. I have just ordered a portable lamp and magnifier that can be floor or table mounted so that I can continue to stitch when we go on holiday or anywhere else in the house :applesauce: rather than being tied to my "crossstitch chair as I am at present. Let me know if you want the details.

I'm new here too so looking forward to getting to know people.

Jan
fccs

Post by fccs »

Greetings from Colorado. I agree with the others...good lighting and a magnifier are necessary. I use a magnifier for some of my 18 count and higher...it makes a huge difference. Mine is a clamp type with an 18" neck. Since it has no light it is very light weight and clamps on my Qsnaps easily.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

fccs wrote:Greetings from Colorado. I agree with the others...good lighting and a magnifier are necessary. I use a magnifier for some of my 18 count and higher...it makes a huge difference. Mine is a clamp type with an 18" neck. Since it has no light it is very light weight and clamps on my Qsnaps easily.

Your magnifier sound great--can you remember the brand name of it--I've been thinking about getting one but don't know what kind would work, and that one sounds like it would do great with the qsnaps and floor frame I'm now using!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

fccs

Post by fccs »

karen4bells wrote:

Your magnifier sound great--can you remember the brand name of it--I've been thinking about getting one but don't know what kind would work, and that one sounds like it would do great with the qsnaps and floor frame I'm now using!!
I will try to find the info tomorrow...I have to get up in six hours for work...yawn. :-)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

fccs wrote: I will try to find the info tomorrow...I have to get up in six hours for work...yawn. :-)
Thank you, I really appreciate it. Get some sleep :)
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Cabelltech

Post by Cabelltech »

Thanks to all of you for your welcome and ideas. I have an ott light but may get a magnifier also. I will post pictures as soon as I've completed a bit more of my chart. I just recently started a small dimensions gold kit. I have plenty other kits to keep me busy when I've finished. Once I start doing something, I go hog wild on buying everything I need. You don't even want to know how much yarn and knitting needles I have. Being that I work full time, I'm sure I have enough to last for years. Now that I'm starting to stitch again, I'm feeling another full-out immersion coming on. Where will I put it all?
Cabelltech

Post by Cabelltech »

Thanks to all of you for your welcome and ideas. I have an ott light but may get a magnifier also. I will post pictures as soon as I've completed a bit more of my chart. I just recently started a small dimensions gold kit. I have plenty other kits to keep me busy when I've finished. Once I start doing something, I go hog wild on buying everything I need. You don't even want to know how much yarn and knitting needles I have. Being that I work full time, I'm sure I have enough to last for years. Now that I'm starting to stitch again, I'm feeling another full-out immersion coming on. Where will I put it all?
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

Cabelltech wrote:Thanks to all of you for your welcome and ideas. I have an ott light but may get a magnifier also. I will post pictures as soon as I've completed a bit more of my chart. I just recently started a small dimensions gold kit. I have plenty other kits to keep me busy when I've finished. Once I start doing something, I go hog wild on buying everything I need. You don't even want to know how much yarn and knitting needles I have. Being that I work full time, I'm sure I have enough to last for years. Now that I'm starting to stitch again, I'm feeling another full-out immersion coming on. Where will I put it all?
Well I have to warn you, you will find naught but encouragement from fellow board members when it comes to stash expansion. :lol:

I fully understand what you mean by the whole full immersion/go hog wild thing. I only started doing this in May and my stash has been expanding exponentially. It's finally slowing down (sort of) now that I've got lots of tools and projects and what not.
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:wave: Hi Kelly and Welcome from me too, its great that you have come back to stitching. Just in case you haven't found it out yet, we love to help you grow your stash and get into all sorts of new ways of stitching. :D
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262