OT for the Brits

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

LaraAmber

OT for the Brits

Post by LaraAmber »

Okay here is my very silly question.

There is a road marking painted on British roads that we don't have in the US. I see it all the time in London based movies and for some reason I must now know. So what exactly does it mean when you are driving on the road and you hit the zigzag patch that looks like the road painter just had a seizure?
Current Project: Starry Night with Tardis
louisb1304

Re: OT for the Brits

Post by louisb1304 »

Usually a marking to make someone aware of a crossing (zebra, pelican crossing etc) basically also tells you not to park on these lines.

Alternatively you may see this one in between a crossroads and/or junctions. These ones means that at no time, should people be stopped on these markings as this will cause an obstruction to the flow of traffic.

Both found all over the UK and especially in cities such as London.
I hope these are the ones you mean. :)
LaraAmber

Post by LaraAmber »

Do you not have a stop at the pedestrian crossings? Usually here in the States for crossings that aren't also at an intersection, there is either a stop sign (requiring a full stop no matter what) at each crossing or a stop light that a pedestrian pushes a button to make the light turn.
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I'm not a driver, but the yellow cross-hatching I think means you can't enter that part of the road unless you can see that there is a way out. That sounds a bit dramatic :-) but it's meant to stop cross-roads and so on from snarling up. Basically you can drive through the cross hatching but you cannot stop on it.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
louisb1304

Post by louisb1304 »

We have the big red STOP signs also, but only tend to be on blind junctions. Mostly Give Way (Yield) signs. We also have roundabouts rather than the 4-way stops the states seem to prefer.

As for crossings with pedestrian cross buttons, we do have them, they are usually found on a road where traffic can be quite continuous and likely not to stop with a signal. Alternatively there are the ones with flashing yellow lights on stripey poles (as per earlier post) these are found on lesser roads without as much traffic. if someone is waiting to cross, you give way (yield to them) and they cross. There isnt a fine for not stopping, but it is frowned upon if you dont.

**EDIT**
Mabel Figworthy wrote:I'm not a driver, but the yellow cross-hatching I think means you can't enter that part of the road unless you can see that there is a way out. That sounds a bit dramatic :-) but it's meant to stop cross-roads and so on from snarling up. Basically you can drive through the cross hatching but you cannot stop on it.
This is a better way to describe it than I did
crosstitcher1

Post by crosstitcher1 »

Don't know about those confusing lines, but have had experience with the U turn, round abouts in New Jersey, to make either a right or left hand turns.
We went to New Jersey in 2001 and almost wrecked, after we made some drivers mad, :tantrum: and the police told us to treat the U-turns like turning at a red light in most states. We were told because New Jersey is such a narrow and longueur state, that every inch of land had to be used wisely. Even in making the roads.
We were so happy :D that our stay was only a week, as B/H and I couldn't think of living or driving in such a matter. :shock: :roll: :shock: :roll:

HAPPY STITCHING IN STITCHING LAND :applesauce: :D :applesauce: :D
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

I love this question!

In addition to previous answers, this might help:

Box junction

Zebra crossing
(and the most famous of them all)

The black and white poles with orange lights at the top at zebra crossings are called belisha* beacons (*pronounced be-LEE-sha).
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

helbel

Post by helbel »

The zig zags mean keep clear/no parking - not even for two seconds to let someone out.

Yellow box junctions - do not enter unless your exit road is clear unless you are turning right. Some in London now have enforcement cameras on them and it's an instant fine if you break the rules.
fccs

Post by fccs »

LaraAmber wrote: So what exactly does it mean when you are driving on the road and you hit the zigzag patch that looks like the road painter just had a seizure?
Just don't follow the zigzags.

Reminds me of a dear friend of mine. She was driving along minding her own business when she was pulled over by a police officer who asked her if she had been drinking. She hadn't and he told her she was weaving as she was driving. It turns out instead of following the white lines painted on the pavement, she was following the shadows cast by the wires on the electric poles. (He did not give her a ticket...said he would never be able to fully explain what she was doing. But he thanked her for a great story he would share with his fellow officers.)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
LaraAmber

Post by LaraAmber »

helbel wrote:The zig zags mean keep clear/no parking - not even for two seconds to let someone out.

Yellow box junctions - do not enter unless your exit road is clear unless you are turning right. Some in London now have enforcement cameras on them and it's an instant fine if you break the rules.
If I just fly a big American flag out the window of the car will everyone just get out of my way?
AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat »

BizzieLizzie wrote: In addition to previous answers, this might help:
Box junction
I love this explanation of a School Crossing:

Rules for Pedestrians
Always wait for the lollipop person to tell you it is safe to cross.

Alley
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

I find the box junctions interesting. Here in the States, at least in my experience, you are expected not to make the turn through an intersection unless you can enter the appropriate lane across the intersection. Of course, not everyone is nice and people will sometimes end up blocking the intersection, but it's very rare, at least around here.

So we seem to use intersections the same way, but y'all mark the intersection and we do not.

Who knew road signage could be so fascinating!
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
wwdiva

Post by wwdiva »

When my travel agent asked DH and me if he could arrange a car for us when we travel to UK in fall we both practically yelled out "NO" at the same time. Actually it was "NO, thank you" being Canadian and all that. This road marking discussion has cemented that decision. We will be using transit. Now, if I can keep from getting hit when I cross the road...
Cheers :toast:
helbel

Post by helbel »

LaraAmber wrote: If I just fly a big American flag out the window of the car will everyone just get out of my way?
Sadly no. Not unless we get reciprocal rights flying a British flag when in the USA :)
wwdiva wrote:Now, if I can keep from getting hit when I cross the road...
In London in the tourist areas there are road markings saying "Look Right" at the crossings to remind you :)

If you are coming to London and want public transport advice then drop me a PM.