National Monuments of the US Bingo- We have a winner!!!

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Fizzbw

Re: National Monuments of the US Bingo

Post by Fizzbw »

Is it worth having an " attention Bingo" thread on the General board as new members and even older members might not know about it as many people just stick to one or two boards on forums, or that is my experience with running a forum!

What do you think?

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
dwitt

Post by dwitt »

Here's the list of participants:
MaudL
elementaryteacher77
geekishly
Louise1262
Ketta
recperryls
millymolly
debupnorth
pattiebelle
tiffstitch
jocellogirl
Fizzbw
Squirrel
Princesslaughton

Remember there is still time to sign up!!!!!!!!! I also posted a link on the General tab.
Desiree Witt
It’s not not IF you will recover but WHEN you will.
You can NEVER have too many cross stitch patterns! :D
dwitt

Post by dwitt »

Last day to sign up
Desiree Witt
dwitt

Post by dwitt »

Desiree Witt
dwitt

Post by dwitt »

The numbers today are 5 and 15

5. Craters of the Moon
a. Located in Idaho and established as a national monument on May 2, 1924. One of the best preserved flood basalt areas in the continental U.S. contains three lava fields along the Great Rift of Idaho as well as the world's deepest open rift cracks and other volcanic features.
b.ImageImage
c. Craters of the Moon National Monument and Preserve is a U.S. National Monument and National Preserve in the Snake River Plain in central Idaho. It is along US 20 (concurrent with US 93 & US 26), between the small towns of Arco and Carey, at an average elevation of 5,900 feet (1,800 m) above sea level. The protected area's features are volcanic and represent one of the best-preserved flood basalt areas in the continental United States.
The Monument was established on May 2, 1924. In November 2000, a presidential proclamation by President Clinton greatly expanded the Monument area. The National Park Service portions of the expanded Monument were designated as Craters of the Moon National Preserve in August 2002. It lies in parts of Blaine, Butte, Lincoln, Minidoka, and Power counties. The area is managed cooperatively by the National Park Service and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM).
The Monument and Preserve encompass three major lava fields and about 400 square miles (1,000 km2) of sagebrush steppe grasslands to cover a total area of 1,117 square miles (2,893 km2). All three lava fields lie along the Great Rift of Idaho, with some of the best examples of open rift cracks in the world, including the deepest known on Earth at 800 feet (240 m). There are excellent examples of almost every variety of basaltic lava as well as tree molds (cavities left by lava-incinerated trees), lava tubes (a type of cave), and many other volcanic features.
Craters of the Moon is in south-central Idaho, midway between Boise and Yellowstone National Park. The lava field reaches southeastward from the Pioneer Mountains. Combined U.S. Highway 20-26-93 cuts through the northwestern part of the monument and provides access to it. However, the rugged landscape of the monument itself remains remote and undeveloped, with only one paved road across the northern end.
The Craters of the Moon Lava Field spreads across 618 square miles (1,601 km2) and is the largest mostly Holocene-aged basaltic lava field in the lower 48 U.S. states. The Monument and Preserve contain more than 25 volcanic cones, including outstanding examples of spatter cones. The 60 distinct lava flows that form the Craters of the Moon Lava Field range in age from 15,000 to just 2,000 years. The Kings Bowl and Wapi lava fields, both about 2,200 years old, are part of the National Preserve.
This lava field is the largest of several large beds of lava that erupted from the 53-mile (85 km) south-east to north-west trending Great Rift volcanic zone, a line of weakness in the Earth's crust. Together with fields from other fissures they make up the Lava Beds of Idaho, which in turn are in the much larger Snake River Plain volcanic province. The Great Rift extends across almost the entire Snake River Plain.
Elevation at the visitor center is 5,900 feet (1,800 m) above sea level.
Total average precipitation in the Craters of the Moon area is between 15–20 inches (380–510 mm) per year. Most of this is lost in cracks in the basalt, only to emerge later in springs and seeps in the walls of the Snake River Canyon. Older lava fields on the plain have been invaded by drought-resistant plants such as sagebrush, while younger fields, such as Craters of the Moon, only have a seasonal and very sparse cover of vegetation. From a distance this cover disappears almost entirely, giving an impression of utter black desolation. Repeated lava flows over the last 15,000 years have raised the land surface enough to expose it to the prevailing southwesterly winds, which help to keep the area dry. Together these conditions make life on the lava field difficult

15. Natural Bridges
a. Located at the junction of White Canyon and Armstrong Canyon, it is part of the Colorado River drainage. It features the second- and third-largest natural bridges in the world, carved from the white Triassic sandstone of the Cedar Mesa Formation that gives White Canyon its name
b. Image
c. Natural Bridges National Monument is a U.S. National Monument located about 50 miles (80 km) northwest of the Four Corners boundary of southeast Utah, in the western United States, at the junction of White Canyon and Armstrong Canyon, part of the Colorado River drainage. It features the second largest natural bridge in the world,[4] carved from the white Permian sandstone of the Cedar Mesa Formation that gives White Canyon its name.
The three bridges in the park are named Kachina, Owachomo, and Sipapu (the largest), which are all Hopi names. A natural bridge is formed through erosion by water flowing in the stream bed of the canyon. During periods of flash floods, particularly, the stream undercuts the walls of rock that separate the meanders (or "goosenecks") of the stream, until the rock wall within the meander is undercut and the meander is cut off; the new stream bed then flows underneath the bridge. Eventually, as erosion and gravity enlarge the bridge's opening, the bridge collapses under its own weight. There is evidence of at least two collapsed natural bridges within the Monument. In 1904, the National Geographic Magazine publicized the bridges and the area was designated a National Monument April 16, 1908 by President Theodore Roosevelt. It is Utah's first National Monument.
The Monument was nearly inaccessible for many decades (a three-day horseback ride from Blanding, Utah, the nearest settlement), as reflected by the visitor log kept by the Monument's superintendents. The park received little visitation until after the Uranium boom of the 1950s, which resulted in the creation of new roads in the area, including modern day Utah State Route 95, which was paved in 1976.
Desiree Witt
Lessa54

Post by Lessa54 »

Oooh, I've got 1 already - number 5. Never seen it, but it sounds like it's definitely somewhere to add to the list of places I want to see if I manage to visit the US again.
WIP
Rose Window
SQ Sunday afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte - pgs 1-3 complete
HAED Curl up with a Good Book
Around the World in 80 Stitches - pts 1-12 complete
Mabel's SOTW - Jan-June complete
HAED BB Sal
geekishly

Re: National Monuments of the US Bingo- First numbers posted

Post by geekishly »

No numbers for me today, but lovely pics/interesting info! Looking forward to the rest now. :D
- Brandi

WIPs
Joan Elliot's "Grace"
"Sephina's Secret" by Illustrated Ink
Small Projects - Belle & Boo girl w/dove

my blog
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:) Number 5 for me today so its a good start. And an interesting one too. This is going to be a very fun Bingo.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
elementaryteacher77

Post by elementaryteacher77 »

Oohhh...I'm off - got #15 today! I love natural bridges. I have seen a small one in Arkansas, I believe...or in the Appalachian Mountains...we vacay there almost every year!
:dance: :dance:
Andie

WIP
A Marriage Is...
Summers Remembered, Pink Ribbon

2013 Finished
Sandy Hook Memorial Square
The Lord's Prayer
A mother is someone who...
Proverbs 22:1 Bookmark
pattiebelle

Post by pattiebelle »

ooooo, I got one today!!!

So much great info! Thanks. Now I REALLY need a vacation - lol

:wub:
pattiebelle

"Gratitude is memory of the heart" (Jean-Baptiste Massieu)
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Got a toe in the door with #15. Very interesting reading. :D
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
yagam1

Post by yagam1 »

No numbers for me today, but this is a really interesting bingo topic! Great choice!
Yagami

WIP
Bucilla, Our Little Blessing Birth Record
Janlynn, Tiger Wildlife Mini
Louise1262

Post by Louise1262 »

In the game :dance: I got 15

Very interesting topic.
dwitt

Post by dwitt »

Day 2 numbers are..... 22 and 26

22. Statue of Liberty
a. This iconic statue, built in 1886 on Liberty Island and 151 feet (46 m) tall, commemorates the centennial of the signing of the United States Declaration of Independence and is a gesture of friendship from France to the U.S. Liberty Enlightening the World is a symbol of welcoming immigrants to the U.S. and is listed as a World Heritage Site. Ellis Island, where 12 million immigrants entering the U.S. passed through, is included in the monument
b. Image
c. Statue of Liberty National Monument is a national monument comprising Liberty Island and Ellis Island. It includes the Statue of Liberty, situated on Liberty Island, and the former immigration depot on Ellis Island . The Statue of Liberty was dedicated in 1886. The immigration station at Ellis Island opened in 1892 and closed in 1954.
President Calvin Coolidge used his authority under the Antiquities Act to declare the statue a national monument in 1924. In 1937, by proclamation 2250, President Franklin D. Roosevelt expanded the monument to include all of Bedloe's Island, and in 1956, an act of Congress officially renamed it Liberty Island. Ellis Island was made part of the Statue of Liberty National Monument by proclamation of President Lyndon Johnson in 1965. The United States historic district, a single listing on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places, was designated in 1966. The monument is managed by the National Park Service as part of the National Parks of New York Harbor office. It has been closed indefinitely since Hurricane Sandy in October 2012
The Statue of Liberty is a world famous symbol of freedom, given by France to the United States[13] in celebration of friendship. Nearby Ellis Island was the first stop for millions of immigrants to the U.S. in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The national monument recalls this period of massive immigration to the United States.
Inside the statue, a plaque is engraved with words from "The New Colossus", the poem by Emma Lazarus:
“ Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door! ”

26. Misty Fjords
a. Located within the Tongass National Forest and called The Yosemite of the North for its similar geology, it also contains the Quartz Hill molybdenum deposit, possibly the largest such mineral deposit in the world. Throughout the monument is light-colored granite, about 50 to 70 million years old (Eocene Epoch to Cretaceous Period), that has been sculpted by glaciers that gouged deep U-shaped troughs
b. Image
c. Misty Fiords National Monument (or Misty Fjords National Monument) is a National Monument and Wilderness Area administered by the U.S. Forest Service 40 miles (64 km) east of Ketchikan, Alaska, along the Inside Passage coast in extreme southeastern Alaska and covering 2,294,343 acres (9,246 km2) of Tongass National Forest in Alaska's Panhandle. All but 151,832 acres (614 km2) is designated Wilderness National Monument; Congress reserved the Non-wilderness National Monument area for the Quartz Hill molybdenum deposit, possibly the largest such mineral deposit in the world. The national monument was originally proclaimed by President Jimmy Carter in December 1978 as Misty Fiords National Monument, using the authorization of the Antiquities Act and became a part of an ongoing political struggle between the federal government and the State of Alaska over land use policy and authority that finally led to the Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Act in 1980. In that law, it was statutorily established as Misty Fjords National Monument.
The area is called "The Yosemite of the North" for its similar geology. Light-colored granite, about 50 to 70 million years old (Eocene Epoch to Cretaceous Period) has been sculpted by glaciers that gouged deep U-shaped troughs throughout the monument. Many of the glacial valleys are filled with sea water and are called "canals", but they are not man-made in any way; the walls of these valleys are near-vertical and often rise 2,000 to 3,000 feet (600 to 900 m) above sea level, and drop 1,000 feet (300 m) below it.
Across from the Salmon River and Portland Canal and the settlement of Hyder, Alaska, small glaciers occupy high areas of the northeast part of the monument. Soule and Through Glaciers cover high plateaus and valleys in the Lincoln and Seward Mountains, where one peak rises to 6,250 feet (1,900 m) above sea level. Most mountain tops in the monument are in the 4,000 to 5,000 foot (1,200 to 1,500 m) elevation range. Tree line is usually around 2,700 feet (800 m).
The region was first visited by Europeans in 1793 when George Vancouver explored up Behm Canal, the prominent sea-filled glacial trough along the western margin of the monument and separating it from Revillagigedo Island. Vancouver discovered New Eddystone Rock, a 237 foot (72 m) tall column of basalt in the middle of Behm Canal. It was formed within the past 5 million years by volcanic activity, evidence for which is scattered sparsely through the monument, including a lava flow high above Punchbowl Cove, and at Blue River in the far northern part of the monument near the Canadian border.
Desiree Witt
jocellogirl

Re: National Monuments of the US Bingo- Day 2 numbers posted

Post by jocellogirl »

Such fascinating facts,
I love them I do.
I have chosen good numbers
I'm now up to two!
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason
Trio Godspeed Sistine Chapel

Around the World in 80 stitches, Herbularius
Ketta

Post by Ketta »

I'm on the board with Misty Fjords :) 1/10.
Blog: http://ketta-ketta.blogspot.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=12786" target="_blank" target="_blank (bug)

http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=13419" target="_blank (Serenity)
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: I have both numbers so I'm at 3/10. YAY! :D :D

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

No numbers from the first day, but both today, so 2/10.

Great Info, very interesting for a Brit!

Niki xxxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
elementaryteacher77

Post by elementaryteacher77 »

Got another one!! I'm 2/10 today! Great info and pics
Andie

WIP
A Marriage Is...
Summers Remembered, Pink Ribbon

2013 Finished
Sandy Hook Memorial Square
The Lord's Prayer
A mother is someone who...
Proverbs 22:1 Bookmark
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Very interesting and Misty Fjords gives me another one 2/10 now !!!
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262