Mini projects

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Mabel Figworthy

Mini projects

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I thought it would be fun to have a thread for those little projects which are really too small to aspire to the name of WIP (let alone SAL), but which we'd like to share anyway. (It's a thread shamelessly geared to my stitching as most of it falls into this category, but if you can't gear your own threads, whose threads can you gear? :-)) The idea is to include the story behind it, if there is one (and surely there always is?)

Here's the first -- I was told yesterday that I have a new cousin, a little girl called Demy. As her parents are not exactly the conventional frilly pink baby girl card types I needed something contemporary, and for various other reasons it had to be quick.

I managed to find a rather fun cartoony baby design, and then cheated by simply leaving the white bits blank, and doing most of the coloured bits in half cross stitch. I personalised it by adding the baby's name and date of birth.

Last edited by Mabel Figworthy on Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rose

Post by Rose »

Does not look cheated to me at all it looks wonderful. The baby is very cute. Congrats to the new parents, grandparents and all the rest of the family.
(It's a thread shamelessly geared to my stitching as most of it falls into this category, but if you can't gear your own threads, whose threads can you gear? )
Not a shameless idea at all you must show your work some how and this is as good an idea as any.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Mabel Figworthy

Thanks everyone, it's good to hear others enjoy making cards too -- I sometimes feel a bit embarassed about not doing some of those lovely big projects that I admire in other stitchers' galleries, but then I stitch for enjoyment and I happen to enjoy small projects :-).

Nevertheless I do have some larger projects lined up for the not too distant future -- my niece's door sign, which has a deadline (her birthday) so I'll have to get on with that, and the floral alphabet afghan which I think is going to be rather pretty, and of course the white rose sampler I got at the needlework fair ... but ...

yesterday I wanted to take a card from the general stock I always keep for various occasions (you know, flowers, animals, all ready in a card but not written yet, so that they can be turned into Happy Birthday or Get Well or Welcome Home as the need arises) and found I am down to my last one!

So now I'm on card duty for the next week or so. Here's the first mini project for my new stock, a yellow tulip on light blue 28ct jobelan:
Last edited by Mabel Figworthy on Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mabel Figworthy

Eek! Nearly forgot the in-laws' anniversary! It's not a major one (hence the forgetting), but once the counter's on 56 years every anniversary is cause for felicitations :-).

I found a quick design that I adapted a little: it's stitched on 28ct gold lurex evenweave (I knew it was a good idea to buy that at the fair!) and uses cross stitch and fractionals in one strand for the champagne (to keep it light and airy), with half crosses in one strand for the bit that you see through the front glass. Then clear beads for the bubbles, and cross & fractional stitch (and one colonial knot) in 2 strands for the rose.
Last edited by Mabel Figworthy on Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

i just finished making a card for my friends who have just become first time Grandparents. Still got to put the card together but the stitching is done and the FRAYING is done as well,
:dance: :dance:

Last edited by ~threadbear~ on Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Mabel Figworthy

The card situation was not as bad as I first thought -- I realised that I did in fact have quite a few finished projects lying around, they just hadn't been put into cards yet. I got out my usual plain cards and in the process dug up some illustrated card mounts that came with a magazine, and after an evening's frantic activity I ended up with enough stock to last me for a month or two :-)
I'm still working on a card-sized project, which I'll finish first, then go on putting that name sign together. (But the little project I'm working on is such a sweetie, and I am just longing to stitch it on 16ct aida and make a needlebook out of it, I can just see it, backed using Mags' useful biscornu-stitch suggestion, some lavender felt, possibly a tassle? Hmm, I think I'm getting carried away here...)
Last edited by Mabel Figworthy on Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mabel Figworthy

Nothing like as detailed and lifelike as some of the beautiful irises we've seen here (aren't they gorgeous?), but still rather pretty in its own diminutive way -- and I think I will make that needlecase with it on 16ct aida. Not sure about the colour for the felt inside though -- green to match the stems, or lavender/mauvey blue to match the flowers?
Last edited by Mabel Figworthy on Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
agi

Post by agi »

Well, this is what came out of it:

Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
Mabel Figworthy

Thanks Sammy, glad you like them! No card making for me for a bit, just getting those little projects all finished so I can start on my kingfisher. And here's the first of the five to be completed -- but I'm sure you can see why I just had to stitch this in between other things, I think it's a lovely little design:
Last edited by Mabel Figworthy on Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sammy_v

Post by sammy_v »

I love this, reminds me of the rose thats in the story beauty and the beast just with out the glass jar protecting it, i love it well done.
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Oh so cute and pretty! I love the colours as well. I just love this thread.
:D
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:

Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
agi

Post by agi »

Oh, this is so good - so much different from the usual, sometimes too sweet roses - much more artistic - if you know what I mean. Kind of an art deco feeling.
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."

My blog
mags

Post by mags »

Oh Mabel I do like that :D
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Agi, That has turned out wonderfully, I like the colour and the metallic thread :D

Mabel, Another beautiful card, that is a super design, as Agi says, very art deco :D
Mabel Figworthy

Fun isn't it? The trouble is, there's three others in that style which all look like definite candidates for the to-do list but I'm not allowing myself any new projects at the moment!
*sits on hands to restrain herself from setting up another hoop for an art deco iris*
agi

Post by agi »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Agi

My blog
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

:thinks: Wonders how long Mabel will hold out! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

I am betting there will be some frantic stitching going on in Mabel's house :lol: :lol:
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

~threadbear~ wrote::thinks: Wonders how long Mabel will hold out! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Shall we have a poll? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Linda
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

here is a link on finishing a needleroll. it's really very good
http://focusonfinishing.wordpress.com/2 ... l-class-2/

so sad, but after all this time, I am finally getting the hang of this computer thing :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Linda