Is waste canvas necessary?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Mabel Figworthy

Is waste canvas necessary?

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

When I started stitching I didn't know about waste canvas but someone told me if you wanted to stitch on non-count material to tack on a bit of whatever count evenweave you liked using and stitch over that and then pull the threads out.

I remember using that once or twice and I don't recall any problems with it. So what, if anything, is the added value of waste canvas (which doesn't come in that many counts, as far as I know)?
mags

Post by mags »

I've got some but haven't tried it yet :roll: but I guess that there are fewer threads to pull out. I think it is quite stiff and whatever is sticking the threads together disolves when you wet it, so it is supposedly easy to pull out.
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Rose is our waste canvas queen, I believe.
Rose

Post by Rose »

The waste canvas comes in just about every count that aida comes in and also a bit larger also I have 7,9,12,14,16,18,20 and I believe they have 22 but do not quote me on that. The canvas has only 2 threads going vertical and horizontal for each square. It is made loosely attached so that when it is time to pull it out it slides very easily under the stitches. they are a heavy duty thread so as not to break when it is being pulled through a large stitched area. Also it is very easy to see the fabric under it so you can be sure that you don't have a crease and it lays flat. If you look at the angels I have done on the cotton material all of those were done on waste canvas.

I guess the best answer would be it is made to come apart easy and evenweave is made to stay together.

I like it alot it gives me loads of creative freedom to stitch on just about anything I can think of.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
nicgoss

Post by nicgoss »

Wow! Never even knew this stuff was available!

Cheers Rose :D
Nic x

-----------------
Work in Progress

HAED 'Yes'
HAED 'Ballerina Sisters
HAED 'Swans Song'
HAED 'Shh'
Mystic Stitch 'Dawn's Song'
New York @ Night
SusanF

Post by SusanF »

I just found a new product in Cross Stitcher magazine. It's from DMC and called Soluble Canvas (hope it's not an April fool!).

Here's what it says about it:

"Soluble Canvas is a 14ct canvas that is used in exactly the same way as Aida when stitching your cross stitch piece. The only real difference is that the canvas disappears when soaked in hot water so you can cross stitch onto almost any material".

Sounds great - but I'm still not sure if I've been fooled here ... :oops:
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I saw it mentioned in the Stitch & Craft Fair show guide but couldn't find DMC's stand (if they had one in the first place) -- as that was the end of March I hope they were serious :-) as it sounds like a very useful product!
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

It does sound true to me too, I am sure I have heard about it somewhere.
As for April fool, I wonder what the best stitchy one they could come up with, Knot free thread?