I need a low-count fix

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Mabel Figworthy

I need a low-count fix

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I love working on slightly higher-count materials, like 36ct linen (or cotton evenweave if I could find it...), and for everyday projects, too, I prefer at least 32ct (or 16/18 if aida), but occasionally I just have to do something in 4 strands on 18ct evenweave over two threads. It's nice and chunky, and makes even very small designs big enough to use in cards -- like this rose and kingfisher:
ImageImage
Do others get this low-count urge sometimes, or is it just me? *Wonders whether she is alone in the world on this subject* *Perks up thinking there must be other eccentrics on a forum like this :-)*
Last edited by Mabel Figworthy on Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mags

Post by mags »

Well until I get some glasses I'm stuck with doing 14# aida (which I do like as it is easy on the eye). I do have a hankering after doing something a bit finer though. But not until I have the multitude that I have planned done :lol:
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

I haven't tried that, but it is a great idea :D
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I know what you mean, Mabel. However, my quirk usually entails the excitement of working in COLOUR! instead of whites when I'm doing a lot of traditional hardanger. :D
Rose

Post by Rose »

I like the lower count for an ocassional project especially after coming off of a large complicated project. It is easy on the eye and as you say a small pattern is bigger. :P
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

I really haven't got enough experience in the different counts yet, but I love the way it seems you can manipulate design sizes by using different ones. I will look forward to experimenting.
:D
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I know what you mean Mabel, but I usually find that if I'm doing a big project then 14 Aida or 28 evenweave is fine enough. Often the finish looks finer on evenweave because the eye is not distracted by the blocks of Aida! :wink:
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

i need to start using a variety...i've only ever used aida..usually 16 or 18 ct ...
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
Dazbo666

Post by Dazbo666 »

Being a newbie I've only used 14ct Aida so far, but I still like doing the occasional basic patterns with my two step-daughters.

(And just by coincidence, only today I've also ordered some 18ct Aida and some Evenweave to experiment with different sizes and designs)
Mabel Figworthy

~threadbear~ wrote:I love the way it seems you can manipulate design sizes by using different ones.
Yes, it's great to experiment with that. I did, in fact, by stitching a small pansy design on:
22ct aida over two (so effectively 11ct)
25ct evenweave over two (12 1/2 ct)
28ct evenweave over two and 14ct aida
36ct linen over two and 18ct aida
22ct hardanger
25ct evenweave over one
28ct evenweave over one
36ct linen over one

This is what they looked like:

The largest one is about 3cm high, the smallest about 1cm. I didn't have the 18ct evenweave I used for the rose and the kingfisher when I did this, nor the 40ct evenweave I got recently; I may stitch two more just to complete the series :-) (and perhaps also some 32ct evenweave/16ct aida) (Oh dear, this seems to be turning into an obsession...)
Last edited by Mabel Figworthy on Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

... but a relatively harmless obsession. :wink:
Rose

Post by Rose »

That is really a neat idea. Really brings to life the differences that a size change can make. Thanks for sharing Mabel :o
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
mags

Post by mags »

Very neat 8)

Have you also thought about doing this with varying numbers of strands of floss, sorry :lol:
Now that would be obsessive :lol:
mags

WIPs:
various bits and bobs
agi

Post by agi »

That is really nice and instructive for all of us!
what a wonderful idea!
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
Mabel Figworthy

mags wrote:Have you also thought about doing this with varying numbers of strands of floss, sorry :lol:
Please please don't do this to me, giving me ideas like that when I've got 3 flexi-hoops loaded with fabric and my 'current project' box loaded with the colours for about 4 projects, and some new soft blue and dusky green jobelan that I simply have to do something with!
mags

Post by mags »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
mags

WIPs:
various bits and bobs