Double finish

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Mabel Figworthy

Double finish

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Not really a WIP this, as it's already finished :-), so I couldn't put it in the SAL section, but I'd like to show you what I did with it and ask you what you think.

For my cousin-in-law's 40th birthday (we've got an 80s party next week -- roll on the dangly ear-rings and the leg warmers) I stitched this design which I found just at the right time:

But just sticking it in a card seemed a bit of a waste -- surely this should be used rather than just seen and then put away!
I though of making a badge, but as it's linen I wasn't sure how to, and anyway it was a bit big for that. So the next step was -- a coaster:

But how to get it to her? Stick the coaster on to a card? My husband (who is an engineer and therefore loves problem-solving; even when I just want him to listen to my tales of woe and am not really interested in solutions :-)) suggested giving the card a wider spine, making an aperture in it and sticking the coaster to the inside. So that's what we did. On the inside it looked like this:

and on the outside like this:

Then all I needed to do was write the Instructions For Use on the inside of the card, underneath the coaster:

Clever husband -- sometimes solutions are useful :-)
Last edited by Mabel Figworthy on Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PaulaH

Post by PaulaH »

My friend used that pattern for her sister as a card but your idea is brilliant - I love the instructions.

Well done for a joint effort!

Paula xx
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Forty seems so YOUNG!! And let's have a round of applause for engineer husbands (mine, too). Great stitching, great solution. Win-Win (except for the birthday girl, of course) :lol: :lol:
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Great idea :D
Love the design, 40 IS young :lol:
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

That is clever! I've always thought that after the effort of making a card for someone that there's not much that can be done with it after. Wonderful solution! :wink:
mags

Post by mags »

That is a very nice pattern and a lovely way to present it. Well done 8)
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
Dazbo666

Post by Dazbo666 »

Fantastic idea !!

particularly since my other half will be hitting that particular milestone in just under a year :twisted:
Rose

Post by Rose »

That is a great idea and the finish is perfect. I agree the instructions hit the mark.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Ernie2jess

Post by Ernie2jess »

Love the idea!
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Great idea and a lovely gift. But 40 is so young :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Linda
sammy_v

Post by sammy_v »

Very nice, well done.
carolyn61

Post by carolyn61 »

Love it! I have an older brother who will be turning 50 this year and is having a hard time with it. I think forties are great. My kids are grown and more importantly out of the house, my house is quiet, mostly clean (I still have a messy husband) and aside from a few age related pinches,pains and hot flashes, I feel great. I'm loving it.
Where did you find the pattern? I wonder if I could adapt it to a more masculine style. Big brother is trying to rediscover his youth with Harley's and long hair. It's too cute. I enjoy teasing him immensly.
agi

Post by agi »

Oh, wonderful ideas! Well done!

Long live engineer husbands (mine, too :lol: - it can't be a coincidence!)

Is 40 really young? Well, I am not so much older than that... so there is nothing wrong with me feeling young still? :lol: :oops: :wink:

Interesting - my hubby is going to be 45 in a few weeks - he is already planning ahead for his 50th birthday - Harley, long hair, leather jacket and all that. Isn't is a small world? And it seems we all want the same things, all in all. It sound, somehow, so nice.
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
Mabel Figworthy

carolyn61 wrote:Where did you find the pattern? I wonder if I could adapt it to a more masculine style. Big brother is trying to rediscover his youth with Harley's and long hair. It's too cute.
I found it in an old cross stitch magazine (went mad on eBay and now have about 300 of them...). The stories are a little out of date, but the designs are still as usable as ever!

Harleys ... not too cute... well, I suppose you could replace the flowers with a circle of tiny skull-and-cross(stitch)bones :-)
carolyn61

Post by carolyn61 »

I agree Harleys aren't too cute, but his quest for youth is. I took a ride with him on his "bike" and rather enjoyed it. It wasn't that much different than riding horses except for the speed, noise, and the occasional nats in my teeth. It was also a bit easier on the bum. But in the end (pun intended), I'd still opt for the horses. They love you back, bikes don't.
Mabel Figworthy

Oops -- gave the wrong impression :oops: I just meant that you were looking for something to do with Harleys and not too cute...
Rose

Post by Rose »

Well beings as I am almost in the middle of 40's I would say that they are very young although it takes longer to recover from somethings. No flashes yet but I have the stray grey here and there I wish I was more like my dad, he was grey at 40 on the dot. I feel that they are a mark of triumph and not to be covered or disguised. I earned everyone of those grey hairs and I treasure each and everyone. :twisted:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Well I used to ride Horses and motor bikes too! I have had 4 of my own bikes but only one horse! Yes horses do love you back, they also stamp on your feet as mine did and broke 2 bones in my foot!! Mind you I fell off my bike a few times too! :lol: :lol: :lol:
There is a site which has bike patterns on. I shall look it up and post it on the forum.
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

that is very neat! i love the insturctions...very clever!
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

My DH, who has a very nice beard, is threatening to grow let it grow a la ZZ Top when he retires (not soon enough!). I replied that i would need to go to B&Q to buy wallpaper shears... :twisted: