Silk ribbon vs others

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Mabel Figworthy

Silk ribbon vs others

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I got two ribbon embroidery kits off eBay because I wanted to try something new, and they both have silk ribbon. I have got some ribbon myself which I used for other things, but they are the satiny type. Can I use these too for ribbon embroidery?

I heard YLI was a good brand of silk ribbon but they're quite expensive, even when compared to other silk ribbons. Will any silk ribbon do? Does anyone know of a good supplier of silk 2 & 4mm ribbon in the UK?
mags

Post by mags »

Can't help I'm afraid, I haven't done any ribbon embroidery. Will have a look around for suppliers though.
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
mags

Post by mags »

mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

I don't use their ribbon but I can tell you that their silk threads are wonderful. Very nice strength and color selection.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

The only thing I know about ribbon embroidery is that the ribbon used are of a special weight and thickness. They need to be threaded through the fabric and then formed into petals for flowers and leaves. Very pretty but I've never tried it! I remember seeing racks of them at a needlecraft shop in York once.

The only time I've used ribbon was on a Sunflower wall hanging. I cross stitched the background then added French knots and seed beads for the centres, long stitch in wool and heavy cotton. Finally finished by using several widths of satin ribbon for petals. You can see it in my wendystitch under 'furnishings'