Frames? Hoops? Neither?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Mabel Figworthy

Frames? Hoops? Neither?

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Just wondering what others use to keep their fabric taut while stitching.

I started out using those hoops you tighten with a screw on the top (the hoops were plastic -- I never really liked the feel of the wooden ones). Then recently I discovered flexihoops and I love them! As I do mostly little stuff they are great to use.

However, the square flexihoop I got on the strength of liking the round and oval ones doesn't really work very well, very uneven tension. So I've been thinking of getting the smallest version (6", I think) of the square frame made of plastic tubes over which you fasten your fabric using tube-like clips (there must be a shorter name for these...)

Anyway, does anyone know the one I mean, and have you used them, and if so what did you think of them?

The roller frames look nice to use but tend to be too big for what I do. Also the sewing on of the fabric looks extremely fiddly, but perhaps those who use these frames have found differently?

Oh -- for very small work I just hold it :-). Like some things I made to put into keyrings -- one was a tiny kingfisher only 9x14 stitches but I think it's got character nonetheless.
I did a dolphin in half cross stitch on 36ct linen as well, but because of the stitch type I did use a (very small) hoop for that. (I'll post a pic of the keyrings in my gallery.)
mags

Post by mags »

I don't use any frames of any sort as I find them too painful to hold and I don't like stands either as I could never get it in just the right place.

So I hold in hand and I don't think I have any problems with tension :D
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I use whatever I need for the project: roller frames, hoops, q-snaps. Occasionally, just the hands, but I need to be able to see quite a bit of these big designs I tend to do, so I feel a frame is very useful.
starydreamer

Post by starydreamer »

i always use a hoop
agi

Post by agi »

I don't use any of them, or haven't so far. I only had problem with holding in hand when I was stitching the pillow with the folk pattern - the material was too much, and the lose end was in the way sometimes.
So I am planning to buy a hoop for such bigger projects, but not sure how I will like it.
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

I used to use scroll frames but now I use Qsnaps. Just love them, gives even tension and is easy to adjust. It doesnt leave marks on the fabric either.
Linda
Angel

Post by Angel »

I have a wooden hoop with the screwy top. I don't like the feel of the plastic ones. But I'm not using one for my chinchilla or for the borders on my egyptian one, but I do use it for the bulk of my egyptian one. And I only got it for my Egyptian one, I didn't use it for the ones before that.
hada56

Post by hada56 »

nope, no hoops or frames or anything, just me hand... :)
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

I have two wooden hoops and I have used them. I'm finding now though that I seem to prefer no hoops when possible as I get really irritated at the creases. :lol:
I dont think it makes any difference with my stitches to have no hoops.
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
kimkat_tkl

Post by kimkat_tkl »

I starting out using a hoop until I bought a qsnap (plastic tube with clips) and never went back. I found it really easy to use (I use the 8" one) and you can fold up excess fabric and catch it under the clips really easily.
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

I use a myriad of things. I use the qsnaps for hand-dyeds since the spaces are smaller and for things that have confetti stitching. I have several sizes.

I also use a small hope for smaller projects though for larger projects I mostly stitch in hand.
Rose

Post by Rose »

I have stitched in hand and I don't like it all that much I like my material to be tight I find it easiest to stitch that way.

I started out with the wooden hoops as that was all that was available when I first started. :( I then went to the plastic frames as they hold better, I tried a frame but found it not to my liking at all as the side are not held as stiff as I like them to be. :( Then it happened and I found the q-snap frames and I have fallen in love. :wub: They are great easy to set-up, easy to move, all the different sizes and they hold like a dream. I can't believe how quick and easy they have made my stitching. The one draw back is so far I have not found a way to hold them on a stand that makes it comfortable. When I need to use the 17 in size it gets heavy after a few hours and it would be nice to have it in a stand. I am still experimentsing with different set-ups though so I will figure it out one day.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

Q snap! i love my q snap..i have one of every size..except the big floor one..lol.
umm i sometimes use my hand for an ornie or bookmark..
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Never got on with hoops or frames! I hold it in my left hand.
I have used a hoop for some free embroidery/crewel work but hardanger and cross stitch I like to have free and unfettered! :roll:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Rose, I have the same trouble with my big 17" q-snap frame. So I prop it up against something (ledge, desk, whatever's handy), and that seems to work.

WW, I always use a frame for hardanger, otherwise I tend to pull the klosters too tightly and miscount and all sorts of disasters occur! :x
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Serinde wrote:
WW, I always use a frame for hardanger, otherwise I tend to pull the klosters too tightly and miscount and all sorts of disasters occur! :x
:shock: :shock: That's perhaps why I have never got on with Hardanger!!

Memo to self... try Hardanger with the Large hoop!
Thanks for the tip Serinde! :D
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I really makes a difference for me. And when you are needleweaving, it's just as easy to move the whole hoop around in your hand so that you can attack various fillings from the correct angles. I have even been known to loosen the tension on the fabric to make it slightly easier, but don't tell Janice!
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Now I was taught to not use a frame with hardanger......but on the other hand the teacher was very insistent that you had to make your klosters a very certain way but the disbelieving scientist in me kicked in and after some experimenting and reading I found it didn't matter.
Mabel Figworthy

frame for Afghan

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

One of the problems with hoops, I suppose, is that they mark the fabric so, flexihoops perhaps more than most, but as my projects are mostly of a size that doesn't necessitate moving it around in the hoop that has never really bothered me.

However, I am hoping to start on an alphabet afghan some time this year, and I am worried using my usual flexihoops would mark the fabric too much. Would one of those snap frames be better, of a size to take one alphabet square at a time? How much do snap frames mark the fabric, if at all? I've heard they are quite good at leaving no marks.
PaulaH

Post by PaulaH »

I use hoops for small things like cards but frames for larger projects - I've got a floor stand which is great for bigger frames but I love my lapframe for smaller ones - I prefer the 'no sew' frames, I can never get the material straight when you have to sew it onto that horrible tape!

Paula xx