Wonderful to have found so many fellow cross-stitchers!

Welcome to our forum. This is the place to introduce yourself, if you wish.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Mabel Figworthy

Wonderful to have found so many fellow cross-stitchers!

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Hello, I've just joined the forum (and several others -- hope I'm not spreading myself too much...) and am looking forward to lots of stitching chat.

I started cross stitch in my (very) late teens -- having disliked needlework fiercely at primary school, where I wanted to do woodwork but couldn't because I was a girl (this was the 70s) I suddenly found out that cross stitch was actually great fun and very relaxing.

I got into it because I saw a kit of an initial in satin stitch with a lovely cross-stitched cat curled around it; bought it, started it burdened with absolutely no idea of what I ought to be doing, and produced a finished article which bore some resemblance to the photograph on the kit, but with some discoloured white threads because I would use every thread up right to the very last bit, and several of the cross stitches going in different directions.

Not perfect, to say the least...

But I like a challenge :-) so I kept going and started designing cards and small samplers for births and marriages. Then a lull as I got into crochet and calligraphy, but last year I decided to take it up again. Unfortunately I had to leave a lot of my cross stitch collection behind when I emigrated from The Netherlands to England, so I'm building up my stock again -- which is fun because I get to buy fabrics and things all over again!

I usually do plain cross stitch, on anything from 14 count Aida to 36 or 40 count linen over one thread, but lately I have enjoyed branching out into the use of beads, ribbons, and things like bullion stitch and lazy daisy stitch. The best thing is combining several of these in one piece!

I've already picked up ideas from other forums (like what a biscornu is and that I'd one day like to make one :-)) so I'm looking forward to new things to learn here.
sammy_v

Post by sammy_v »

Hello welcome to the forum.

I never liked stitching and using sewing machines at school but we always got to do like 6 months of one subject and then change to another, or something like that.

This forum is very friendly and very very helpful, when i first joinned i never really talked on forums etc but everyone here made me feel so welcome and was so helpful with the 1000 questions i had. I really hope u join in and show us some of ur work u have done or doing. Hope to chat soon.
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Hi Mabel Welcome to the forum, I think you will enjoy it on here.
I remember the rules of woodwork/ metalwork for boys and sewing and cooking for girls, I did break the mold a little by becoming the first girl to take Technical Drawing in our School, and one lad did manage to get into the cooking lessons :lol:
You must set up a gallery so we can see your work.
How nice to be able to buy stash all over again, but it must have been very hard to leave it all behind.
Jilly
Mabel Figworthy

Thanks for the welcome -- I hope to find a cross stitch club out in the real world as well, but it's fun to be able to talk about all these sort of things online in between serious bits of book-keeping or website maintenance as well!

Probably like a lot of stitchers I've started photographing projects because so many of them seem to end up with other people :-) and I'd like a reminder. One I didn't photograph because I was staying with my in-laws while making it was a tiny petit-point rose on 36ct linen over one, which ended up as a picture in my mother-in-law's dolls house, for which it was just the right size.

Here are two pics of things I've done recently (most of my projects are card-sized): an 85th birthday card using beads and different stitches, and a peacock on lurex Aida with some beads and metallic threads (and some fractional stitches and colours that the original didn't have...)

Last edited by Mabel Figworthy on Mon May 26, 2008 9:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
Mabel Figworthy

Jilly wrote:You must set up a gallery so we can see your work.
Oops -- I just attached some pictures to a post, is that not the right way? Sorry if I've been going against the rules! I'll try and find out how to set up a gallery, sounds like great fun -- so that means I can see lots of other people's work too, right? I'm looking forward to that!
Jilly wrote:How nice to be able to buy stash all over again, but it must have been very hard to leave it all behind.
It was rather, and last month when I decided to stitch a door sign for my niece-by-marriage's birthday using a chart booklet I was absolutely sure I had, I found out it was one of the victims of the move. Fortunately I managed to find a copy on eBay -- in America, but only 99 cents and I had it sent to an American friend.
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Not a problem where you post them, it is just that they get lost very quickly on threads.
You work is so neat, and the Peacock colours are wonderful :D
sammy_v

Post by sammy_v »

There lovely, very neat and i love the colours, i love the beads to.
mags

Post by mags »

Hello Mabel and welcome :D

I love the pictures you have posted up - what stitch have you used for the roses on the '85' ?

Look forward to seeing your gallery when you have set it up - it is quite easy

Do join in - we are a friendly bunch :D
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
mags

Post by mags »

Ah bullion knots, I thought so. ( Just looked at your gallery (so far) - lovely. )
:D
mags

WIPs:
various bits and bobs
Mabel Figworthy

Gallery thumbnails look washed out!

Eek! Am I doing something wrong? I started a gallery but the thumbnails look greyish beigish.
mags

Post by mags »

Thats normal for thumbnails here, don't ask why :lol:
mags

WIPs:
various bits and bobs
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Once you click on them they are all fine :D
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Welcome from me too. Love the peacock!! Fantastic colours! :D :D
We love 'newbies' here co we are all so nosey! Great to meet you! :D
Rose

Post by Rose »

It is lovely that you have found us on the web we love newbie to our site and hope to see you around a bit. The rules here are pretty simple as long as it is fun and no one gets hurt we are all for it. So pictures were you want them but the gallery keeps them easier to find.

Your work is wonderful the colors of the Peacock are great. We used to have a peacock at the old place we lived his name was Sam. The cats used to try to stalk him but he would just look at them like you have to be kidding me. :P

Look forward to seeing you often and now I am off to oogle your gallery.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Mabel Figworthy

Peacock colours

Glad you all like the peacock so much -- it's one of my favourites and as it was made into a bookmark and given away as a birthday present I think I'll just have to stitch another one...

Originally it was full cross stitch only and outlined in black or dark grey backstitch, but I found that by filling in the lines with three-quarter stitches (which sort of have their own backstitch within them, if that makes sense) and by backstitch-outlining any full cross stitches on the edge in two strands of its own colour it looked less harsh.

Do any of you often use 'self-coloured' backstitch to define without making the design too 'outlined'?
Rose

Post by Rose »

Yes if I just want to make it look finished but not make it look cartoony or (I can't think of a word to describe it) :oops: but you know what I mean I will just use the same color to outline a section.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Hello and welcome!
I love those flowers, they look gorgeous and the peacock is beautiful! I have used the same colours in backstitch on some work, and it looked good (I thought). Like Rose says, not too harsh and make's it look less like a drawing/ cartoon.

I'm off to peek at your gallery now.
Have fun on the forum.
:D
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

A belated welcome from the West of Scotland. You have jumped right in, so I have no fears that you will soon feel right at home. You gallery is grand, and I guess the silver lining to your move from the Netherlands is *having to* indulge your stash habit. It's a hard job, but someone's got to do it... :lol:
agi

Post by agi »

Hello and welcome from Hungary! I hope you will enjoy this forum as much as we do!
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Welcome from New Jersey.

Another renegade! I'm sure I could find that dress I started in 8th grade but never finished and I've still got the bullet we had to make in 9th grade Metal Shop! I like to think we just enjoy being girls!

If you're interested in other stitching techniques take a look at www.inamomentago.com by SharonB. She's got a great collection of stitches with great pictures. I also took her on-line course "Personal Library of Stitches" offered through www.joggles.com. Not too expensive, six weeks and lots of good material and explanation.

Alyson