Finding the right coloured aida

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Angel

Finding the right coloured aida

Post by Angel »

Hey guys, can I pick your brains for a moment?

I'm doing my mom a present after I finish my Egyptians, and I have the chart and the threads, I just have to get the frame and of course the aida! Now I have an idea for the frame, but I have no idea what colour aida whould work the best.

The pattern is of a velvet chinchilla, kinda like the one pictured below, but not with any background, so I was wondering, what colour background would go with the greys and white? I don't want to use white because the chinchilla already has a fair ammount of white in her tummy. (Sorry I don't have the actual pattern on hand)

mauveme

Post by mauveme »

You should check in at White Willows. They sell patterns but also handdyed fabric. They have colourded pics of the fabric so you should find something to contrast. It is really pretty, kind of splotchy, but not too apparent.
Linda
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

I wonder if a very pale blue would work :D
Angel

Post by Angel »

I've never heard of white willows.

A bit like this Jilly --->Image
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Yes, If you put the threads on the fabric and stand back it will give you an idea if it will work :D
Angel

Post by Angel »

I hasn't bought fabric yet. I is on sew and so again ^_^
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Black would be spectacular but could be difficult to stitch on. I like the ideas of a hand-dyed though. There are some lovely hand-dyed greens that would be very nice, kind of out in the field. There are also some very lovely pinkies. I just finished a piece that used greys and silvers on angel blush. I am also working on a picture of a keeshond that I'm doing on a lovely one called pansy (hand-dyed) that is blues and purples.
Angel

Post by Angel »

The pattern uses black in it so I think that towards the edge of the chinchilla it might blend with the aida is I used black.

I don't know where I can get hand dyed Aida from though T_T Which is a shame it sounds lovely.

Hey, on a side note, what's the difference between 14 count aida and 16 count aida?
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Smart a** answer....two squares........

seriously, 14 squares per inch versus 16 squares be inch.

There are a bunch of handdyed fabric places here. Sometimes they take a bit more to get but check out eBay. There are a bunch that have some really great fabric and if you know the manufacturer you can sometimes match them up.

here are a bunch of the companies:
Enchanted fabric
Sugar Maple Fabric
Silkweaver
Heaven Lee Creations

Check them out. You can order sometimes direct or look on eBay for them too.
Angel

Post by Angel »

*cries* Don't be smart with me you bully! :P So a 16 count will make the whole image tighter correct?

*goes to look at more fabrics*
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Yeap, it's slightly smaller. There's also 18 and 22 count and if you're really adventurous (and young with good eyes) you can always do 28 and 32 count over one.

Bully, huh? You have no idea how evil i can be...... :twisted:
Angel

Post by Angel »

*snugs* no bully angel. Angel luffs joo

hmmm I'm just wondering because even using two threads in my needle I can still see iddle bitty bits of aida showing through when I look. So I'm wondering if I get a higher count will that stop.
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Yeap, you as the stitches get smaller and you stay at two threads it will fill in. I'm the same about not liking the spaces between. I don't like to really see the 'x', I prefer the picture to be the focus.

.........grrrrrrrr :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Angel

Post by Angel »

*nod nod* That's me too. Ok I've ordered a few in 16 count to try. We shall see if that's enough to make the picture and not the x the focus. What size do you use?
Rose

Post by Rose »

All the sites I was going to suggest have already been posted. I have order from silkweaver and sugar maple they are both very good quality material. If you are ordering hand dyes then it takes about 10 to 15 days longer to get it. So think of that when you are ordering and how fast you will need it. I would personally go for a multi green color as a back ground but that is just me and my fav color is green.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Angel

Post by Angel »

hehe don't knock it. My sisters favourite colour is purple so I've ended up with lilac aida because of it, and pink because it's mine. ^_^ But aside from that, actually,, green may be a good colour. It's like nature and chinnies and nature go together!
Little Stitcher

Post by Little Stitcher »

hmmm maybe dove grey or a grey/blue or green...bit hard without seeing what kinda pattern u have. Are you going to do a quick border? Lines or leaves or something or is most of aida b/ground blank?
Angel

Post by Angel »

I plan on leaving the background blank. The pattern looks almost exactly like the photo I put up, only nothing in the background.
Little Stitcher

Post by Little Stitcher »

painted evergreen is quite nice can see the lil chichilla sittin stitched on it- maybe just me tho lol

http://www.enchantedfabrics.com/images/ ... nacoHP.JPG
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

That does sound nice :D