Why Free Patterns?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

atmchick

Why Free Patterns?

Post by atmchick »

I'm getting back into cross stitch after a few years off, and using the internet to find patterns for the first time. It has got me wondering, why do so many people use free patterns? When I'm looking, I'm so picky about patterns since I know how much time and patience it will take to complete a project. I look for days and weeks to find the perfect one that I know I will be happy with the whole time I am sewing.

Is it that some people go through patterns very quickly? Do they do a lot of small projects so the time investment is not as high? Just wondering...
grub72

free charts

Post by grub72 »

i dont like getting free charts of line either as it never gets done,,, the ones i like are the ones you get inthe shops with the threads already there and all you have to do is xstitch lol :) :D :wink: :lol: :ratherbe: and have no frogs either as i dont like them no more :frog: :ribbit: :frog: :ribbit: :frog: :ribbit: :frog: :ribbit: :frog: :ribbit: :frog: :ribbit:
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Freebies are good for someone like me who doesnt have , for exmple, kitchen type patterns that are good for exchanges. I have all the DMC floss and don't like to use kits. (sorting drives me insane :evil: ) It is easier also to just push print than go through the reams of patterns and magazines I have looking for a specific patttern, I would never get any stitching done!! And besides, you can never have enough patterns. You just never know.................????????????
Linda
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I have bookmarked all sorts of hardanger freebies, not necessarily because I am going to stitch them as they are, but because it gives me a chance to see the way designers have put together smaller patterns and stitches, and this gives me lots of ideas about how to assemble patterns.

However, some freebies are a whole lot better than others! Ink Circle freebies are very good; ditto the ones at Nordic Needle.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Yes I agree with Serinde. I used to grab all the free patterns going, then thought 'Good grief, how sad!' I now have a good look at anything free before bringing it down to the computer. There are some really nice free patterns out there. I'm doing a Micheal Powell 'freebie' at the moment!

http://shopping.originpublishing.com/ch ... Exclusives
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

i only print out freebies I know i will stitch ...and if i ever need a pattern for an exchange i can google it..usually find it..print it and stitch
i sub to only 1 mag and if i'm out and find one i flip through it and if there is stuff i'll stitch..i'll buy the mag.

I rarely every buy kits unless someone wants me to stitch one..
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

I have picked up a couple of free Anchor charts from town, but I have never downloaded a chart online. Now I have said that I do think I may have done a bird or something small a couple of years ago from a site :thinks:
hada56

Post by hada56 »

what's wrong with freebies? :wink: they give you a chance to see if you like a certain designer or company, and since many are small, they're done quickly, and come in useful for cards, decorations, etc. I'm not saying I use all of th freebies I've dowloaded: some are there for inspiration.. :D
I also kits because everthing's there for you, no running around lookig for that certain fabric, or specialty floss, or charms, or ......etc...the list goes on. Saying that, some designers/companies have better kits than others. Just my point of view..
Rose

Post by Rose »

I don't think the freebies are bad as far as a selection that you can be picky about. I am very picky about the patterns I look for. There are some very good freebies out there and there are some not so good one. It is a choice for any of us. I find a snowman :snowman: and he is mine usually but there are many I have passed up as the quality of the pattern is bad.

Also for some stitchers just starting and not sure what they like yet or even if they can stitch a freebie is a good idea. They can be small and easy stitches. This gives them a chance to experiment and see what it is like. Some kits I have seen are not nearly as good as some of the freebies out there.

Designers use freebie to entice people to look at what they can create and then hope that the stitcher will come back and buy a pattern because they like the work so much. So there really are some great pattern out there to be had for free.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
atmchick

Post by atmchick »

I guess I never really noticed the designers of the patterns before, just looked at the patterns. Now that I have been shopping a lot for a new pattern, I see that if you see a pattern you like, like a freebie, it helps to lead you to a pattern that you will want to stitch!

Thanks for the great suggestions and education!
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

atmchick wrote:I guess I never really noticed the designers of the patterns before, just looked at the patterns.
Me neither, although lately I've been looking with desirous eyes at some of those John Clayton circles, not to mention that tall narrow design of his with the tulips and the windmill (did I mention that I'm a Dutch expatriate :-)?)
Mabel Figworthy

Re: free charts

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

grub72 wrote:the ones i like are the ones you get inthe shops with the threads already there and all you have to do is xstitch lol :)
I tend to prefer chart-only things as I've got such a lot of DMC already, and I like choosing my own fabric to go with designs, so kits don't really work for me (unless that's the only way I can get a design, like the John Clayton ones I mentioned earlier)

Also, I tend to do smallish projects, and I find they are relatively expensive, especially when you can get a lovely 32ct evenweave for not too much if you buy a metre or so which will then last you practically a lifetime.