HAED? What is it?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Echelstitcher

HAED? What is it?

Post by Echelstitcher »

I've been cross stitching since I was 9 (so... about 7 years.)
and I've only ever worked with 14ct aida.. I've been reading around on here and see these things called HAED? and tent stitch? What is that?! I'm still kind of new to the world of cross stitch but have been really getting into it this year... Someone wanna help the newb? I never knew there was more to the world of cross stitching..... >.<
MaggieM1750

Re: HAED? What is it?

Post by MaggieM1750 »

Glossary Terms
at the top of the Tips and Tricks section
mechie

Post by mechie »

HAED = Heaven and Earth Designs. The glossary that Maggie linked to has a good illustration of a tent stitch that will explain it better than I can.

HTH
mechie
WIP:
The Elementals (HAED) - Finished 9/42 Pages
Fall Fairy (Dimensions Gold) - Finished 4/4 Pages only backstitch left!
Springtime Roses Freebie (Chatelaine)
The Encounter - Finished 3/24 Pages (HAED)
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I can't believe that neither of you warned her about the potential for addiction to the HAED site and several of the other designers that get stitchers hooked. My WIP list shows that I have become ridiculously addicted to HAED designs. As you read through the different SALs you will find all different styles and designers, threads and fabrics. In the year that I have been a member of the forum I have learned more about stitching and all that goes with it than in my previous 25+ years of stitching. This is an amazing place.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

Thats because their charts are not tempting to me. I haven't been bit by the HAED bug.

I own one of their charts.. and even though I have most of the threads for it, I am actually thinking Iwon't be stitching it. Its too big and I don't really enjoy the long, 1-2 year projects I know this would be. On 25 ct its maybe 15 x 17.. too big for me, too expensive to frame. And trying to edit the chart to eliminate threads that are used less than 10 times in a project with 50,000+ stitches is just too time consuming. I prefer smaller, quicker finishes, with fewer needle changes.

But.. here is my warning.. if you do go to the HAED site and really really love a design. Wait for a sale. She has them around every holiday.. and just because sometimes. So, if charts are not on sale yet, with Independance Day next week, wait a few more days and they will be.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Maggie, I didn't mean anything against those who don't like to stitch HAED designs. I'm sorry if that is how I sounded. :oops: There are lots of other lovely stitching designs and designers. I'm finishing up (I hope) a "My Big Toe" design. And you are absolutely right about waiting for a sale if you are thinking about buying an HAED chart. There is another one on now for the 4th of July and there will probably be one by, if not before, Labor Day.

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
geekishly

Post by geekishly »

Echel, I just noticed that you're from Michigan, too! Whereabouts? I'm in Ypsilanti.
- Brandi

WIPs
Joan Elliot's "Grace"
"Sephina's Secret" by Illustrated Ink
Small Projects - Belle & Boo girl w/dove

my blog
backafteradozenyrs

Post by backafteradozenyrs »

Carole, I was going to make a similar post to warn the OP that HAEDs seem to be addictive (eventhough I haven't actually purchased one yet....a girl can dream, hunh?)
Diana
WIP
Rejoice in Today Rooster=Stoney Creek
White Dorkings=Leisure Arts
White Wedding-Ellen Maurer-Stroh

Finished Masterpieces:
His Name Is Jesus
Never too old for teddy
Turn off the water sign
Debbies bookmark
Heather

Post by Heather »

backafteradozenyrs wrote:Carole, I was going to make a similar post to warn the OP that HAEDs seem to be addictive (eventhough I haven't actually purchased one yet....a girl can dream, hunh?)
They ARE addictive. I don't have fabric to start my next one and I am all twitchy trying to trudge through an old kit while I wait for the opportunity to go get fabric :|

If you are someone who is dissatisfied with the kits available these days and love big, detailed designs then they are for you... I am so happy I found this forum and discovered HAED. Words cannot really describe the happiness, honestly. I love HUGE projects and they are perfect for me. My first venture into non-kits and I am not looking back. Except for right now, because of my lack of fabric :( This will be resolved next week. It better be, anyway. *twitch* :shock:
WIP:
Universe In A Jar (HAED) 07/08/12
Finishes:
Sunflower Bee (HAED)
Echelstitcher

Post by Echelstitcher »

Thank you for all the replies. I read through this one thread where someone (Her name was Sarah? and it was a bubble telescope thingy I think?) was doing a HAED kit thing and posted pics of her progress and I've become quite curious and kinda want to try one after I'm done with my Phoenix Wright. I enjoy longer projects.. They keep me entertained when I get bored. :) They look so cool!

and geekishly, I'm from Kalkaska. :D

I guess I'll go wander and check out kits :p
CayenneCat

Post by CayenneCat »

HAEDs are like stitching artwork.

Michele Sayetta takes works from current artists (and some historical) and converts it to a cross-stitch design. You stitch the design and the background.

She sells the designs, and each stitcher buys the fabric and floss.

I have 3 HAEDs and WIPs right now, and many, many more that I want to stitch!

BTW - there are other companies that specialize in cross-stitch designs of historical art, like Golden Kite, Scarlet Quince, and Artecy.
CayenneCat

WIP:
HAED: Fireside Fairytales, Shiver Meow Timbers
Chatelaines: Serengeti, Deep Blue Sea, Spring Raffle
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

Yes, Sarah Gixxer is working on a few AMAZING HAEDs, including the Bubble Telescope. At the HAED site you'll find some like that under the designer Ciro Marchetti.

Sarah's WIP topics are what actually got me into HAED. :o
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

rcperryls wrote:In the year that I have been a member of the forum I have learned more about stitching and all that goes with it than in my previous 25+ years of stitching. This is an amazing place.
Ditto! I've gone from doing one at a time cross country stitching a small project in a hoop to having two BAPs on scroll frames and two HAED Minis in my hoop, parking, railroading/laying and have even recently succumbed to gridding (which I don't love, but find useful). This forum has opened up a whole new world to me!

@Geekishly: How did your town get its name? I spent a year in Finland back in the day and Ypsilanti sounds very Finnish. I'd never heard of Finnish settlers in the US before. Just curious. :thinks:
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

geekishly

Post by geekishly »

I know of Kalkaska. I went to NMU for college some years ago and one of my hall mates was from there and I caught a ride from her downstate to catch the greyhound back home for Thanksgiving . :)

@BizzieLizzie - It's named after Demetrius Ypsilanti, who was a hero in the Greek War of Independence. A friend had asked me this awhile ago and I wound up having to look it up because I had no clue. edit: also, there's actually a pretty large Finnish-American population in the UP (Upper Peninsula). We've actually got a lot of really high immigrant populations in the state.
- Brandi

WIPs
Joan Elliot's "Grace"
"Sephina's Secret" by Illustrated Ink
Small Projects - Belle & Boo girl w/dove

my blog