BINGO - Les Couleurs DMC - rcperryls is our winner!

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

rcperryls

Re: BINGO - Les Couleurs DMC

Post by rcperryls »

:D Got both of them so I am halfway there. 5/10

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
dwitt

Post by dwitt »

Hope they can fix your computer quickly!
I'm at 4/10 now
Desiree Witt
It’s not not IF you will recover but WHEN you will.
You can NEVER have too many cross stitch patterns! :D
Ketta

Post by Ketta »

Best of luck with your computer troubles... I know it can certainly be a pain dealing with them.

I got one more today and am up to 7/10. :)
Blog: http://ketta-ketta.blogspot.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=12786" target="_blank" target="_blank (bug)

http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=13419" target="_blank (Serenity)
nachosmiley

Post by nachosmiley »

Woo hoo, I'm now up to 3/10!!

Shame about your computer...hope it gets fixed ok...and more importantly doesn't cost too much to put right :x:
W.I.P.
My Altair chart 66.11%
Chatelaine Mystery XV-Deep Blue Sea 6/12
HAED Mini Fairy Book 43.55%
HAED Lady in the Meadow 13.07%
Finishes
Duality
Zelda valentine
Beware of the DM
HAED SK Oak King
Magic Dragon
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

Just catching up with bingo,
My luck is very poor,
We've had five sets of numbers
And I'm only up to four :(
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason
Trio Godspeed Sistine Chapel

Around the World in 80 stitches, Herbularius
KerryT

Post by KerryT »

:cry: i'm only on 1 :cry:
ImageImageImage
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Yayyyyy another one today giving me 4/10

Hope the computer doctor does his magic and gets yours up and running well again.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
MaudL

Post by MaudL »

Happy Monday everyone! Computer is all better now, so let's catch up on our colors, shall we?
I'll divide this in several posts for ease of reading, and will finish with today's bingo picks.

Thursday

Number 3 – Bleu de Delft (DMC 322)
Bleu de Delft refers to the blue color in Delftware, or Delft pottery, which denotes blue and white pottery made in and around Delft in the Netherlands and the tin-glazed pottery made in the Netherlands from the 16th century. Delftware in the latter sense is a type of pottery in which a white glaze is applied, usually decorated with metal oxides. Interestingly enough, Delft pottery is mostly well known for its beautiful blue designs, but it is really the white glaze that assured its success: Dutch potters perfected an Italian technique which allowed them to create a purely white glaze (as opposed to the usual ‘’antique’’ white), which they then used to copy Chinese ceramics whose import was more or less cut off when China experienced violent political trouble in the middle of the 17th century.
Interesting modern-world snipet: Delft Blue pottery formed the basis of one of British Airways' ethnic tailfins. The design, Delftblue Daybreak, was applied to 17 aircraft.

Number 18 – Oeillet de Poète (DMC 3806)
I chose this pink color for its lovely names in both French and English: Oeillet de Poète translates in English to ’’poet’s carnation’’, but the English name of this gorgeous flower is Sweet William.
Some interesting facts about that flower: it first appeared in botanical catalogs in 1596, the flowers smell a bit like cloves, are edible and may have medicinal properties, they attract bees, birds and butterflies, and they were used as part of Kate Middleton’s bridal bouquet as a tribute to Prince William. In the language of flowers, they symbolize gallantry, which we all know is a dying art (*sigh*)
My blog

WIP
Brodeuse Bressane - Fleur de Lys SAL
Mirabilia - Persephone
Chatelaine - Sleeping Beauty Castle
HAED - Mini Lady of the Flowers (Phelan)
HAED - Celtic Fire (Buziak)
HAED - Wheel of Fortune (Law)
MaudL

Post by MaudL »

Friday

Number 6 – Bleu de Sèvres (DMC 796)
Similarly to Delft blue, Bleu de Sèvres refers to a specific shade of blue used in pottery and ceramics.
The factory was founded in 1740 in Sèvres (near Paris) with the support of king Louis XV and the famous Madame de Pompadour, in order to compete with the works coming out of Chantilly and Meissen. The reputation of quality and excellence of craftsmanship was such that it attracted oodles of well-known artists such as François Boucher, Alexandre Fragonard (son of the famous painter), and Auguste Rodin who participated in the creation of some of the pieces.

Number 30 – Vert Véronèse (DMC 3812)
This yellowish green was widely used in Italian painter Paolo Veronese’s (1528-1588) work, but this pigment which included traces of copper and arsenic was one of the worst poisons in existence at the time and turned to black when exposed to sulphur or lead. Thankfully, the chemical revolution in the 19th century created a safer alternative…
My blog

WIP
Mirabilia - Persephone
MaudL

Post by MaudL »

Saturday

Number 14 – Laine de Vigogne (DMC 3864)
This tawny brown color refers to the wool (=laine in French) that comes from a South American camelid, relative of llamas and alpacas, which is the national animal of Peru. Vigognes (Vicuñas in Spanish) produce a very small amount of extremely fine wool, which is very expensive because the animal can only be shorn every 3 years and has to be caught from the wild. The Inca valued vicuñas so highly that it was against the law to wear a garment made of their wool unless you were royalty. Nowadays, this animal is a protected species as it has been endangered since 1974, and is a huge success story for animal protection as the population has grown from 6,000 in 1974 to 350,000 in 2008.

Number 24 – Rouge Carmin (DMC 321)
Carmine is a deep bright red with purple undertones, very close to the color of dried blood. The original pigment was actually an acid produced by a tiny Mexican insect to protect itself from predators, it was transparent and very ephemeral but highly respected by the Aztecs, and was brought to Europe in the 16th century after South America was discovered. As most things nowadays, carmine pigments are now completely synthetic.
My blog

WIP
Mirabilia - Persephone
MaudL

Post by MaudL »

Today's numbers

Number 7 – Bleu Outremer (DMC 158)
This one is a very deep blue, reminiscent of the depths of the ocean (mer = sea in French), but this actually has little to do with why it bears this name. The pigment has been manufactured synthetically since the 19th century, but before that it was extracted from finely grinding the lapis-lazuli stone, which is quite rare in Europe and therefore was imported from what is now Afghanistan – hence the name, from the latin ultramarinus, or ‘’beyond the seas’’. During the Middle Ages, it was considered the most beautiful of all the shades of blue and was used by monks to illuminate sacred texts, at great cost since it was more expensive than gold.

Number 22 – Rose Grenadine (DMC 760)
Grenadine is a pink syrup made from the pulp of the grenade fruit. It has been for a very long time a staple of French drink menus, and can be used for cooking in sauces and desserts, drinking when diluted with water, juice, beer or white liquors such as vodka or gin, and is often used by bartenders to make eye pleasing cocktails where colors are layered. In the US, it is an essential component of the Shirley Temple or Roy Rogers cocktails, the favorite drinks of teenagers who like to pretend they’re grown-ups @rotfl:
My blog

WIP
Mirabilia - Persephone
dwitt

Re: BINGO - Les Couleurs DMC - We're back on track!

Post by dwitt »

Now up to 5/10... halfway there! :D

Love the history behind all the colors! :wub:
Desiree Witt
It’s not not IF you will recover but WHEN you will.
You can NEVER have too many cross stitch patterns! :D
backafteradozenyrs

Post by backafteradozenyrs »

Nope, I didn't match any today (so I'm holding at 4/10)
Diana
WIP
Rejoice in Today Rooster=Stoney Creek
White Dorkings=Leisure Arts
White Wedding-Ellen Maurer-Stroh

Finished Masterpieces:
His Name Is Jesus
Never too old for teddy
Turn off the water sign
Debbies bookmark
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

ack, none again! so still at 4/10. Glad your comp is working again!
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:D one more for me today. Love the information. So interesting. You must have done a lot of research to get all of that. Glad that your computer is healthy again.
My total so far is 6/10. More than 1/2 way there!

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
MoonChild

Post by MoonChild »

Nothing from Saturday and nothing from today :(. Leaves me at 2/10 but you know what? I'm enjoying the lessons about the colors. So I'm not too sad :)
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

None for me today so still 4/10.

Love the history and its great to see it back again. Thanks Maud
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
megan_bright

Post by megan_bright »

I'm up to 5/10!
WIP:
Dragon Riders HAED
QS Wind Moon HAED
The Ranger HAED
HAED BB SAL Literate Dragon

http://meganbright7.blogspot.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
MaudL

Post by MaudL »

Today's bingo numbers are:

4. Bleu de Perse, aka DMC 3810

Persian blue comes in three major tones: Persian blue proper—a bright medium blue; medium Persian blue (a medium slightly grayish blue that is slightly indigoish); and a kind of dark blue that is much closer to the color indigo; this darker shade of Persian blue is referred to as Persian indigo or dark Persian blue. The color Persian indigo was originally called regimental, because it used to be the color of the navy uniforms of a number of different nations in the late 19th and early 20th centuries due to the fact that it was easy and inexpensive to use indigo dye to dye navy uniforms.
The color Persian blue is named from the blue color of some Persian pottery and the color of tiles used in and on mosques and palaces in Iran and in other places in the Middle East. Persian blue is a representation of the color of the mineral lapis lazuli which comes from Persia and Afghanistan. (The color azure is also named after the mineral lapis lazuli.)
The first recorded use of Persian blue as a color name in English was in 1669.

29. Terracotta, aka DMC 922

Terracotta was the only ceramic produced by Western and pre-Columbian people until the 14th century, when European higher fired stoneware began production. Terracotta has been used throughout history for sculpture and pottery, as well as bricks and roof shingles. In ancient times, the first clay sculptures were dried (baked) in the sun after being formed. Later, they were placed in the ashes of open hearths to harden, and finally kilns were used, similar to those used for pottery today. However only after firing to high temperature would it be classed as a ceramic material.
Its uses include vessels (notably flower pots), water and waste water pipes, bricks, and surface embellishment in building construction, along with sculpture such as the Terracotta Army and Greek terracotta figurines.
In chemistry, pieces of terracotta are used as a heterogeneous catalyst to "crack" long-chain alkanes. I'm not sure what that means ( :oops: ), but I read that this process is useful for obtaining more useful products, such as gasoline or petrol, from less useful ones, such as highly viscous long chain alkanes.
My blog

WIP
Mirabilia - Persephone
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:D 1 more for me. Up to 7/10 now. There must be some who are getting very close so good luck.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat