Cross stitch frames/stands

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Little Stitcher

Cross stitch frames/stands

Post by Little Stitcher »

Hey all,
just wondering if anyone has any tips on good cross stitch stands or frames. ATM i have several projects going and generally use hoops which are fine for smaller/medium size kits. Im stitching a Janlynn kit of King Tut (Boy King) which is 10" x 14" and am just finding that it is quite awkward to hold and my arm/wrists hurt after awhile if I stitch for too long. Are there any stands or frames that anyone has found to be really great for stitching larger projects? Thanks for any help or tips.

Cheers, Mara
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

:thinks: Look at the thread in this section called Stitchers Wonder for starters. I'm sure we have discussed this somewhere -- not that this will stop us discussing it all over again, so don't worry! :lol:
kimkat_tkl

Post by kimkat_tkl »

I use a 8" x 8" qsnap frame (picked up from one of the craft shows in brissie) when I am doing my larger projects. It is similar concept to a hoop, with a plastic tube about 1" in diameter, with 4 plastic 'sleeves' that clip over it. I find it really easy to use - I'm not sure if it would solve your soreness though.
Little Stitcher

Post by Little Stitcher »

Yeah thanks Kimkat,
i'm using one of the larger qsnap frames - think they are brilliant just still gets heavy after hour or so of stitching...Thanks Serinde ill check it out now :)
grub72

semco frame

Post by grub72 »

i have been using a semco med frame for my big projects like the one i am doing now ( i just dont know how to put the pics up to show evey one,) i got it from spotlight i tryed to get a floor one but instead i got a lap one, it does the job tho :) :D :wink:
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

I have a gazelle floor stand with an attachment for my qsnaps. I don't like the scroll frame as it doesn't hold the fabric tight enough when I want to use a frame. Most of my projects I just do in hand so I don't have too much trouble.
mags

Post by mags »

Sorry, I can't offer any advice - I just hold my work in my hand - I found hoops and frames too painful and I didn't like using a stand (admittedly it wasn't the best on the market so take no notice of me :roll: )
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

I agree mags. I wanted a stand because I really thought it would help but I do find it wasn't any better than in hand. Since I've been using the 32 ct hand-dyed fabric though I find the qsnaps help since the holes in the fabric shrink.
mags

Post by mags »

I could never get my stand in just the right place, and if you are not sitting comfortably you get back, neck, everything ache :shock:

I also found that when using a frame or hoop, there is much more hand/arm movement required. Nor could I do two-handed stitching (one above, one beneath) because that would mean holding one arm up all the time which I couldn't do. I need to sit feet up and so that my arms are resting (very comfortably :wink: ) on my tum.
mags

WIPs:
various bits and bobs
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

I never did master that two handed thing either, not to say that I can't do the occasional couple of stitches which work just fine but TRY to do it and all h**l breaks loose. :lol:

I had the same problem with getting the stand right too. And add in there the eyesight thing and it's not pretty.
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Is this Mags dozing off while stitching :D
http://www.mattonimages.co.uk/images/jp ... 246tb.html
mags

Post by mags »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
mags

WIPs:
various bits and bobs
Rose

Post by Rose »

AAAAHHHHHH yes those otters they know how to relax just like a true stitcher. We should adopt them as our stitching mascot.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

well the hedge hog is the mascot for lacemakers so why not an otter for stitchers?
Dazbo666

Re: Cross stitch frames/stands

Post by Dazbo666 »

Little Stitcher wrote:Hey all,
just wondering if anyone has any tips on good cross stitch stands or frames. ATM i have several projects going and generally use hoops which are fine for smaller/medium size kits. Im stitching a Janlynn kit of King Tut (Boy King) which is 10" x 14" and am just finding that it is quite awkward to hold and my arm/wrists hurt after awhile if I stitch for too long. Are there any stands or frames that anyone has found to be really great for stitching larger projects? Thanks for any help or tips.

Cheers, Mara
I'm still a self confessed newbie, but I tend to use scrolling frames... usually resting on my tum ;)

Got a 5x7 inch frame for small projects and two larger frames approx 12x18 for the more ambitious stuff.
I originally tried using a hoop for the smallest/beginner projects (ie greeting cards etc) but found it more comfortable to do card projects freehand.

I've also recently bought myself a floor stand for the larger projects, but haven't used it yet.

I guess a lot of it comes down to trial and error, and see what suits you