How/Why did you find the forum????????

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Rose

How/Why did you find the forum????????

Post by Rose »

Next month I will have been a member of this fabulous forum for 6 years. I was some of the very first to subscribe and it is sad to see how many of the original members are no longer with us. But I was kinda wondering what it was that you were looking for that made you come to us????

I was looking for answers to a dilemma. I had asked the question on another site and the members there had really lambasted me, telling me I was a thief and I should not ask for things that were illegal. It was embarassing and I was really hurt. I had only asked if there was some one that knew if I could get a copy of the Color Key for a pattern I was working on. I had set it aside for a few months and when I picked it up again I had some how lost the key. The other forum made it sound as if I was making copies and selling them it was very harsh. I almost was afraid to ask again but I really needed the key to finish the project. I slinked out of that other forum and the next site that popped up on google was this one. Thank goodness!!!!!!! I asked the question and then worried if I was once again going to be attacked for being a bad person AGAIN. No that was not what I got I was given information about contacting the designer and asking them directly. It took several e-mails but the web operator for that designer did finally get my answer and I was given the Color Key. I then came back to thank the members for all of the help and that is how I got started.

In the beginning we would go through some very slow times especially during the summer when everyone was outside in the gardens and during some of the holidays but I kept coming back to ask questions. It was the only forum I found that made a question seem like it was ok and also if I had an opinion about a certain way that I stitched, that was different, well that was ok as well.

I think over the years that has been the way this forum has tried to work. Yes we have had a few difficult threads and there have been a few people that did not like the answers that they got but reall I believe that differences are looked at as well I am glad that works for you but I can't make it work for me. I think we are very supportive of the individual and love to stick our two bits in when we can. I hope this is a long term site and that as it moves on more people will find the help they are looking for.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
talenaya

Re: How/Why did you find the forum????????

Post by talenaya »

I got started here in my search for Suzy Zoo patterns but after going through the different post and I joined and now this forum is the only place I socialize on netwise. I don't even socialize that much on facebook.
:kitty:Victoria :kitty:

:wip:
HEAD: Nala
RosemaryH

Post by RosemaryH »

Having moved to Spain and being limited in my ability to communicate there was a need to simply "talk" about my all consuming hobby with like minded people and that is how I found the forum.

I have not been able to stitch for over two years but I still look at what others are stitching and join in with help whenever I can.

Love this forum, think of you all as friends.

Rosemary
I’m part of the Transworld Book Group!’
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

That's a very nice story, Rose (apart from the "stuck up" stitchers who jumped to conclusions about you without understanding you). :)

I agree that over here I feel like my way of stitching will never be condemned, and only words I'll see from fellow members are those of encouragement and helpful tips on how to improve my skill, without pointing fingers at my work and belittling less experienced stitchers.

I came to the forum by accident, I was returning to cross stitch after a long break and had just finished the first two pieces I had done in years, and was browsing google for new ideas (I had basically no charts at home, as I gave up most of my stash from my teen years in the big move from Brazil to Puerto Rico when I got married).

So in the google images I saw some pictures of ongoing projects that I thought were amazing, and followed the image link to this forum, where I realized people shared their WIPs, tips and tricks, info on where to get stash, and most important, it was a community about a hobby I was falling in love again with, so after "creeping" a little without joining, learning tricks and drooling over people's projects, and seeing the members here weren't all "professional" stitchers, I decided to join and share my work, too.

It's the people that keep me coming back! You're all great (despite being stash enablers :shock:)!! :wub: :wub:
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
Nachstenliebe

Post by Nachstenliebe »

My husband is a part of a forum.. and he got a bit obsessed with it in the beginning because it was the first time he truly found nerdy people like him :lol: So It made me want to find the same niche for myself... I googled around I think, but like Rose mentioned.. this is the warmest and most accepting group of people around... It's truly been a blessing that I happened to find it.
Faith
meerkat

Post by meerkat »

A good question, especially as it is my 3 year forumversary :dance:

I did find this forum back when it was just starting out,but I had very limited access to the web and I had not been on any forums at all back then.
I joined a stitching forum in 2006, when I had more internet time,which turned out to be less stitching and more chit chat and a few very unpleasant incidents between other members put me right off it.

I re discovered this forum in February 2007,recognising the logo :) and by happy chance I had also bought my own lap top the month before...the rest is history.
:D :D
Last edited by meerkat on Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ratherbe:
:tea: :cake:
freelady

Post by freelady »

I was new to cross stitch and used Google to see what I could find out about it. I looked at several forums that I found difficult to follow and they seemed very much self centred, as if they didn't have time for newbies. I know this may be really incorrect but it's how I felt. Then I found this group and loved the tone as everyone seemed so happy to be here and share the love and knowledge. It's the only cs forum I use and I miss it if I don't look in for a few days even though I'm not stitching now.
skitzzzzz

Post by skitzzzzz »

i found you by accident via google
this is the only forum i 'talk' on
or joined haven't looked for anymore
W.I.P
Still Life with Roses GK
Frost GK

http://www.facebook.com/skitzzzzz" target="_blank" target="_blank
mags

Post by mags »

:thinks: mmm, I think I saw the forum mentioned in a magazine article and just had to investigate. Found this to be the most friendly and helpful forum and just had to stick around :D

I have belonged to other forums over the years but have not really contributed much to them as nowhere else is quite as nice as this one. It can be difficult sometimes understanding intended intonations in messages but here such situations are dealt with in a friendly way without accusation as in other forums.
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
Wandatoo

Post by Wandatoo »

If I remember, I was Googling cross stitch and this forum came up. I liked the way it was organized - easy to follow topics without lots of navigation. I was excited to find other stitchers, as no-one else I know is a stitcher.

Eveyone was so welcoming that I kept coming back. I also liked the StitchAlong and the albums, where I could see other designs and share ideas. I've learned a lot of Tips & Tricks AND I've been enabled. :wink:

Mostly, like everyone else has said, I like the people. I visit every day, and like so many others, I'm not a member of any other forum - this one and its members are special!
:)
Wandatoo

"Dogs come when they're called. Cats take a message and get back to you."
nachosmiley

Post by nachosmiley »

I happened upon this wonderful place about a year ago now, I was looking for some advice about stitching on linen for the very first time, I lurked for a while just getting a feel for how things were run and what the people on here were like, then I thought "What the heck....I really need help and these guys seem like the people to ask!", so I joined up and I am sooo glad that I did, if it hadn't have been for all the wonderful help, advice and encouragement I received I really don't think the project I completed would have been quite the success that is was! :D
I haven't really felt the need to go elsewhere for stitchy buddies, everyone on here is so lovely and welcoming....why would I go anywhere else!?! Having said that I am a member of the HAED BB but somehow there just isn't the same 'community spirit' on there...can't quite put my finger on why....but that's how it seems to me anyway.
W.I.P.
My Altair chart 66.11%
Chatelaine Mystery XV-Deep Blue Sea 6/12
HAED Mini Fairy Book 43.55%
HAED Lady in the Meadow 13.07%
Finishes
Duality
Zelda valentine
Beware of the DM
HAED SK Oak King
Magic Dragon
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

I actually was referred to this forum by another member--I forget her user ID here, but her name is Michelle. I'd met Michelle online at another forum and we chatted on messenger a few times and discovered that we both love to stitch. She recommended this forum, and the rest is history. I've since learned a few great new stitching ideas and techniques and I'm always wanting to find out what else can be learned!
This forum is the friendliest ever and I really am glad that I joined!!! :dance:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Mrs Milkybar Kid

Post by Mrs Milkybar Kid »

I think I was doing a general search on cross stitch - I was looking for some new ideas after getting back into it again. I lurked for a while and realised it was the type of forum I would like to be a part of so plucked up the courage to post - and the rest as they say is history! This is by far the best cross stitch forum. All the members are friendly and never judgemental of another's work and offer helpful advice and wonderful support. I have learnt so much on this forum and my stitching has expanded to horizons that I never knew existed because of it. The forum is also very active, which in itself encourages new members to post, and of course very well moderated - thanks to you Rose :applesauce: !

I love it here and I love checking out everyone's work - it is so encouraging and inspiring - it is good to be with people that understand are wonderful hobby!
Amanda

Band Sampler (SANQ)
Elle Brodes des Lettres Carmin (Reflets de Soie)
Alice (Aury TM)
Mini Tears of Yesterday (HAED)
Miss Cherry Blossom (Mirabilia)

Instagram @mrsmilkybarkidstitches
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I was looking for information on a program which could convert photos to cross stitch patterns. The only forum of any type that I had been on was the Apple Support Community Forum where I had gotten very supportive help dealing with a computer problem and had just gotten a mac so the programs I had found before were limited to pc's. Some on the ASC group suggested that I do a google search and find cross stitchers who knew more than they would (though some had spouses who offered ideas), so I found this forum. It was the most amazing experience ever and one I can never thank everyone enough for. Besides all the warmth and friendliness and encouragement and enabling :lol: which I have recieved regarding cross stitching (which really has become a passion) is the warmth and friendliness and caring which is so freely given here. Having lost my husband just a year and a half ago, this group has really helped my feel less alone. How amazing to know that I have friends all over the world. those times when I am without the internet I really feel cut off. I belong to a few other forums but this one has more of a real sense of community. Cross stitching brings us together and is the main focus, but we share so much else as well.

Carole
:love:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
LastingAllure

Post by LastingAllure »

I actually looked for "Cross Stitch Forum" and this was the first one to pop up lol. I was happy with the environment here and how encouraging everyone was! All the different tastes in cross stitching were neat as well.

I mainly joined because my mom who is my cross stitch buddy was super busy with work and taking another online course so didn't have much time for cross stitching with me. I was also looking for encouragement to actually finish my projects. If anything the wonderful people on here had encouraged more stash and more projects bought or started :wink:
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

I just bought a computer and was looking around at anything I googled that had cross stitch in it and found this group. The first one I joined and have stayed with . The best thing I did on line is join this group (other than discovering 123 stitch lol)
Linda
marniecat

Post by marniecat »

Not exactly sure, but I think I looked for cross stitching forum or cross stitch faq as I was new and didn't know anyone in real life who stitched!
(Come to find out I work with two girls who do, but I didn't know it at the time!)

Like others have said, I love the sense of community here, everyone is friendly, positive, smart, knowledgable, and amazingly supportive.

I am addicted to the forum, and I spend a lot of downtime at work here browsing! I love seeing photos of everyone's WIPs and learning new tips and tricks from those more experienced than I (which is just about everyone here!) :lol:

Hooray for crossstitchforum.com and all of its members! :wub: :wub:
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

I have a similar story to Faith. My DH become addicted to a photo forum and had less and less time to spend with me, so I was kind of meandering around the web while he was addicted so at least we'd be in the same room. He mentioned trying to find a forum that I was interested in, and all of a sudden it hit me "cross stitch"! I love cross stitching, but don't really know anyone else that still does it or lives near by. So I searched for "cross stitch forum" and this was the first link. I joined up about a year and a half ago and couldn't be happier with this outstanding community.
marniecat wrote: Hooray for crossstitchforum.com and all of its members! :wub: :wub:
Hear, hear!
Emma1977

Post by Emma1977 »

I had very recently taken up x-stitch and was looking for somewhere where I could get some help, advice and encouragement so I googled forums and this one came up. I took a peak, liked what I saw and decided to say hello. Like so many others I have stayed around for many reasons: friendly people, great advice and fantastic projects. My stitching has come on in leaps and bounds and I have completed 4 projects since I joined. Most of my friends, who are crafty, knit and have a group on FB. As I am the only one who stitches I wanted to find a place I could mix with people who shared my :wub: of stitching

I look forward to many more stitchy years on the forum :toast:
Finished
Fantasy Flitterflies
Ruby Wedding Sampler
Vervaco: To have and to Hold wedding sampler
"Gift from God" birth sampler
Vervaco Wedding Bouquet

W.I.P
Cinderella, Joan Elliott
Swan Fidelity
Galaxy
Dimension - Baby Express
Forever the Flagship
pattiebelle

Post by pattiebelle »

all our stories are so similar. just another example of like minded folks finding each other for community and support, ideas and enabling! :)

i wanted to return to cross stitch after many years absence, but didn't know how to begin again. bought some kits and got discouraged because they seemed harder than i remembered them being (having gotten older, my eyes and hands didn't work so well anymore - what a shock!) DH trolls many forums for his hobby and suggested i find one as well. yep, googled cross stitch forums and found this very one. lurked awhile to get hang of it and compared it to others, but this one was the easiest to negotiate. and it's the prettiest!

signed on and learned about OTT lights and Q-snaps, which helped tremendously for my eyes and hands. as time went on i realized everyone was friendly and nice and helpful. now i can't go a day w/out checking in (even if i don't post, because i don't feel well or am too tired, when i'm back it's as if i never left).

i've checked out other sites, but they're harder to use, and the posters seem too clique-ish, like everyone new is an outsider and has to prove themselves before being accepted.

i'm glad we're all here. thank you.

:wub:
pattiebelle

"Gratitude is memory of the heart" (Jean-Baptiste Massieu)