Double-sided works

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

tripletvn

Double-sided works

Post by tripletvn »

I think you have yet talked about this. As I have a double-sided bookmark which many would think that it has a very neat back (like those of many of yours), I would like to post it up here to have bigger picture, so that you can see a new way to stitch things like bookmarks, napkins, towels... in general unframed pieces. It is indeed a double-sided work, not one with a neat back.

This is a picture of margaritas, this Riolis kit (Russian) brings great appearance with only 11 colors and no backstitch at all.

Here is its back which I tried to make as neat as possible (actually it looks like ||| when zoomed in):

And this is a different type of work, double-sided bookmark with stitches as an x in both sides (my initials btw):

Side 1/side A (front side as in chart)

Side 2/side B (back side as reverse of chart)

Just for you to compare:

A close-up view for you to see that in the back they are not ||| but real x stitches

Actually the very 1st time when I attempted to do something like this, I thought that it would be much more difficult than it turned out to be. I really want cross-stitching lovers to enjoy doing this. It would be somewhat complicated and time-consuming, however it is not very floss-consuming and definitely easier than having perfect/super neat backs. Also, the works are marvellous.
Last edited by tripletvn on Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

I'm beyond impressed! Never look at the back of mine!
tripletvn

Post by tripletvn »

Thanks Alyson, you are soooo fast to comment! ... and I wonder whether we have instructions for perfect/neat back in the forum... If not, I can post them in :)

One more thing, I am a new cross-stitcher (less than 1.5yr experience) and I mostly work on small patterns, so... if I can do it, this is really not a mission impossible :)
Last edited by tripletvn on Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Now I am gobsmacked as we say in these parts :shock: :shock:
I can now see the difference between double-sided work and a very neat back.
Truly wonderful work :D
Ernie2jess

Post by Ernie2jess »

yes, please post...I'd like to know how you did that.
Angel

Post by Angel »

*cries* I don't even have really neat backs!!!!
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

Wow - yes, I would love to know more too. :D
Alexanie

Post by Alexanie »

Wow! I try to keep my back neat but that's astounding
hada56

Post by hada56 »

my backs are quite neat, but not perfectly so. I've never tried the other type, crosses on both sides. I did attempt it once, but I gave up, because it seemed it used up a LOT of floss, double amount. But, then, that's me, and I've never tried it again.
Please, do let us know how you do the double-sided cross stitching. :D
tripletvn

Post by tripletvn »

I love that you love it! Here come the instructions.

Firstly, the perfect back examples:

This is my friend's work:
Front side:

Back side:
Last edited by tripletvn on Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
tripletvn

Post by tripletvn »

I found this site, similar rules to mine, even easier to understand so I am removing my crazy instructions tomorrow :D

http://www.needlework-tips-and-techniqu ... titch.html

These are some more double-sided works:

Mine (just small motifs):

And:

In our local embroidery showroom (they even use fabric without holes or clear fabric):

Last edited by tripletvn on Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tripletvn

Post by tripletvn »

Last edited by tripletvn on Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

ohhh looks too complicated for me..lol

but beautiful!
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
mags

Post by mags »

Oh wow, thank you so much for all the work you have put into this - I have had a quick read through and have bookmarked to look at again later.
It looks very interesting - I don't do many things where I particularly want it reversible (except perhaps bookmarks) but I will have a go at something when I have the opportunity.

Again, thanks for letting us see. :D
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
Rose

Post by Rose »

I don't want to rain on anyones parade here but I need to ask. In the first post with the instructions you said that these were copies off of other sites. Have you recieved permission to copy and post these intructions? Or have you read the copyright rules from these sites? Copyright rules as per the internet are a bit unclear at the moment but these instructions are under the same rules as copyright for a particular pattern. I really need to know that you have permission to share this information or I will have to remove that part of the thread. Your own personal instructions can stay and you can post a link to the original site that the other information came from but we must be careful of copying this type of information with out express permission. Like I said I am sorry but this could get us into a bit of a bind and we must respect the rights of other sites.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
tripletvn

Post by tripletvn »

I know that there will be this question. That's why I said "Russian sites" because honestly I don't know Russian and although I believe that copying those instructions is okay, I cannot assure it. It came from a friend who studied in Russia and she forgot to put in the links, otherwise I'd rather put them in. I am really sorry. I am removing them all now and you can delete the thread. If later on I find the original link (that I might will), I will give you the direct access.
Rose

Post by Rose »

Thank you for your reply I hate to be the copyright police but we have to maintain the high ground so that we don't get shut down for violations. The thread is fine and you can leave up anything that you have put together as obviously you are giving permission to have it on the board.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
hada56

Post by hada56 »

thanks tripletvn for your instructions! I've read those, somehwere, before and seemed very logical to me...
I don't think there are copyright issues with these kind of instructions, because it's something a lot of people know or learn on their own, or by word of mouth. Sort of like learning to cook a certain dish that someone has taught you hands on in the kitchen.
but, ...