~threadbear~ ... The challenge! Can this one be completed?

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Rose

Post by Rose »

Sometimes it takes the project to be completed before the colors come together and look the way it should. Sometimes the other colors change the way it looks once it is done. The pictures you took of the threads make me think that you choose the right color. Your progress is coming a long well don't give up you can do this.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Of course you will finish, and we will help. Also, don't compare with what's in the gallery, because for you, your piece is your own challenge. Certainly aspire to do something like the big things in the gallery, but perhaps that won't be your stitching strength.
Anyway, the seaside design is so cute it will be great fun to see it develop. :)
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Hi Threadbear and welcome to the forum,
Keep at it, you're doing great. I understand about those kit threads. I usually throw out what they give me and pull from my stash or buy new. I've had so much trouble at times matching them that the frustration wasn't worth the couple of bucks.

You've gotten lots of good advice. The only thing I would echo is focus on a whole item, like the boy. It does give you a sense of accomplishment and as well as a good focal to stitch the rest from.
Alyson
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

You're all being so great to me and it's definately keeping me going, so a BIG thanks to you all.

Tonight I had some unexpected free time to myself, so I grabbed the chance to get on with my stitching.
Well time went on, the light was going, but I was sure I could manage so I struggled on. I was working on the straw hat and was getting so excited to see it take shape ...

Then I finally gave in and went to another room and sat under a bright light and that's when I realised. :shock: I had been happily stitching away but had a quarter of the way through managed to (in the bad light) move the whole thing over one square from where it should be.

So now I had a decision. Do I just try and alter it by missing out on other colours stitches and basically bodge it ... or do I sit here and undo the lot (a whole evening's work..sniffle)?

:shock:

I chose to undo the lot. I know I wouldn't feel right putting up a progress picture knowing it was just a bodge job, plus even if I finally finish it, I would always know it wasn't really right.

So now I'm sitting here taking it apart :cry:

Haha, teach me to stitch in bad light!!!

*sigh*
Rose

Post by Rose »

You are discovering something that we all have to deal with....... the :ribbit: fairy has come to visit. Oh it is so annoying all the work you do and then discover you have to :frog: . Go ahead yell, scream, cry we all feel your pain, it will pass but in the mean time we feel bad for you. :cry:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

We've all been there. While one stitch can go unnoticed.....a whole bunch ususally doesn't. You would have known in the long run if you hadn't undone. Just know you're in good company.
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Aww, thanks both.

I guess it's 'character building' if nothing else. :lol:

*back to ripping picture apart*

btw, what's 'frog'? :?
Angel

Post by Angel »

Frogging is undoing your bodged up work.
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Hmmm, looks like I'll be doing plenty of 'Frogging' then.

Signed
The frog Queen. :lol:

Am still frogging that hat as we type.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

:ribbit: :ribbit: :ribbit: :ribbit: :ribbit:
Froggers of the World unite!!

Small mistakes are often go unnoticed by others and even you won't find them later. I agree though that it's frustrating to have to :frog: a whole load. I managed to stitch a whole rose in the wrong colour once! Wasn't till I ran out of thread that I realised I'd used the wrong shade!! :roll:
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

It's called frogging because you "rippppp it" :lol:
Angel

Post by Angel »

And when I did my teddy I did the ribbons two squares too high, It wasn't till I was halfway through his leg I realized not only had I to undo the ribbons but all of the work on his leg as well! *dies*

Enjoy frogging!
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Ok, this is all going horribly, horribly wrong.
First off I had to undo the straw hat as I said. I found the mistake, undid it to that point (3/4 of it) and then continued. I sewed a good portion once more beofre I discovered, stupidly, I had my thread 'end' too long and consquently it had got sewed into the hat! :shock: No wonder it was looking somewhat thicker!
Anyhow, once again :frog: time!!
I re started once more, got so far and the poor, by this time rather frail thread, snapped. :doh:

I started carefully with a new thread, knowing that I am running out and only have a small amount left. I counted it all very carefully and stitched away ... only to discover that it was still wrong! :cry:
I now think that there must have been another mistake further back originally, but wont have time to look properly now until later tonight.

Am hoping it wont be anything too major, but wont be holding my breath incase!

:boohoo: *sigh*
mags

Post by mags »

Oh dear
:ribbit:
hope you manage to rescue the situation
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Does your design assign numbers to the colours? That would tell you (if the design doesn't already) whether the thread is Anchor or DMC. Both these are very standard threads, and the dyelots are spot on. If you run out of thread, it's not the end of the world. Tedious, but not catastrophic.

BTW, I had Mr :ribbit: living with me, having a West of Scotland holiday for a while. It happens to everyone, like discovering an Evil Fairy.
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

If you need extra thread just for this project I may have some left from the AOY projects I have done in the past. I can pop it in the post for you.
Jilly
Angel

Post by Angel »

*huggles* Poor Threadbear!
I hope you can fix it. Do you mark your charts? That always stops me from going too wrong.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Don't worry ~threadbear~ We've all been there at some time!!.

Just treat it as a learning curve! :lol: :lol:
:heythere: :heythere: :heythere: :heythere:
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Thanks everyone.
Am feeling more positive this morning. I must admit at this stage I would normally give up, but am going to keep going on.
Last night I sat and did the second girls legs and arms and started her bucket.
I have checked it and checked it and all seems good.

I must admit I have never marked my charts, I just look and count. Maybe that's why I go wrong! :oops:

Anyhow, I'll try and get the bucket completed and then do another picture update on here.

Thanks to everyone for support and thanks to Jilly for your kind offer too. I am ignoring the hat at the moment and building on this girl, as she has a small amount of that colour on her hat and then I will know where I stand threadwise.

:D
Serinde

Post by Serinde »