Mold Patches >:( Picture included (updated picture! pg2)

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Iconised Ghost

Mold Patches >:( Picture included (updated picture! pg2)

Post by Iconised Ghost »

About a year or so ago I completed a large cross stitch and was pretty happy with my handy work. I had it framed, and it looked very nice. However, it has developed these spots which I think are mold spots. Does anyone have any hints on how to get rid of these? I dont want to use bleach, im afraid of the colours running and the material it was stitched on is grey, not white >.<. Im not sure if the thread is colour fast either. I heard that washing with a white vinegar solution would do the trick, but when i mentioned this to someone in a shop that sells the cross stitches they gave me a funny look :(

Heres a picture (hope its not too big sorry!) You can see the brown spots all over it :cry:

Please help!! :(
Last edited by Iconised Ghost on Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Hummm, not sure about this one. Do you remember anything about the materials? What brand is the thread? I've only seen this happen in way older pieces or some that are stored in very humid areas, such as a bath. If it's mildew, I would think that you could smell it.

If you're sure it is mold or mildew I think I would first get it out of the frame to try to retard the progression. If the local shop owner doesn't have a clue, maybe a local archivist or an antiques dealer would have an idea. I've worked on antique pieces but nothing with a mold/mildew issue.

Give us some more details and at least we can eliminate some potentials issues or causes.
Rose

Post by Rose »

Ghost first of all welcome to the forum. Second your stitching is beautiful. third Lacemakers is right if you could let us know what type of fabric you used and what type of thread was used then we will have a better idea of what to suggest. But I would definitely get it out of the frame right away.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Iconised Ghost

Post by Iconised Ghost »

The material is 14 count cotton Aida fabric. All I know about the cotton is that it's cotton floss, sorry. It all came in a pack made by Janlynn. It can get pretty humid here, and I havent had the piece in a sunlit area. The frame has a glass front, so its possible any air moisture got stuck and warmed up, encouraging the growth of mold or what ever it might be >.<

thank you rose ^_^ I just wish i had taken better care of it!
Rose

Post by Rose »

I always wash everything that I stitch, especially when it is going to be framed. With this being a kit from Janlynn I would say that the thread is going to be ok to wash. you can do it two different ways. I put mine in the washer on the gentle cycle with some soft fabric clothes. I use tide as a detergent and downey for a fabric softner. I then hang the piece out on a clothes line to dry and iron with a warm setting.

You can also wash by wand with Woolite detergent. Some stitchers frown using this but I have never had any problem. Then dry and iron as I said before.

For the frame I would wash it with vinegar and set it out to dry. If you want to get it back into the frame then I would be sure to have all pieces absolutely dry and place it in a well light area, just not in direct sunlight.

I hope this will help you decide what to do.
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

I agree with Rose that you can wash it since it was a kit. You might just do a quiet test by wetting a central area and then blot it with white paper towels to see if it bleeds. It most likely won't.

I would be very hesitant to wash in the machine (just my phobia on shrinkage and uncontrolled stretching I'm sure) or to use woolite. I use a solution that is especially for washing stitched pieces that I bought at a local stitch type store. Just consulted with my husband ( the paint chemist) and he's not thinking that anything but bleach will work on the stain. I'm not so extreme. If you have some left over fabric, you might try oxyclean or one of the colorfast bleaches as a test to see if the fabric fades. The last thing is that being in Singapor I think I would be tempted to not put glass on pieces, especially if they don't have spacers and if the glass is touching the piece. Glass touching the piece is just begging for trouble.
Iconised Ghost

Post by Iconised Ghost »

By wash by wand, do you mean wash by hand? Or do you mean put it in a sink and swish it around with a stick sort of thing? I think I would feel most comfortable hand washing it, rather than using a machine, even though it would probably be fine.

lacemaker, would you be able to give me the name of the solution that you use that is especially for washing stitched pieces? I might be able to order it off the internet or get my store to get it in for me.

We have oxyaction here, which i think is the same as oxyclean. I will test it on a bit of the fabric once i get my hands on some.

The glass doesn't appear to be touching the piece itself, although the store that I bought my next project from had their pieces on display without glass, so you may be right there.

Being in Singapore?
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

You are getting good advice here, to which I would only add a few bits and pieces.

When you take the piece out of its frame, do it OUTSIDE and use a disposable brush to both brush away any surface mould as well as to loosen any mould in the fibres. Outside, because you want to get rid of the pesky and tenacious spores. Throw the brush away ( or wash it, too, in a bleach solution ).

Any good handwashing powder or liquid will do the trick. The fabric people Silk Road suggest Ivory Snow, but I've used Woolite and Persil's special silk and wool formula liquid for my embroideries before now. I have no reason to think cotton will react differently to silk. Rinse in cool water like crazy, and in the penultimate rinse water add 1/4 cup white vinegar to a sink-full of water to neutralise any soap residue. A last rinse should get rid of the vinegary smell. I have also read that a straight solution of 5% acidity distilled white vinegar will kill the mould and will not discolour like bleach. I've also read that a solution with lemon juice will be effective. Always test first.

If you opt for a delicate wash in a machine, put the stitching into a lingerie bag.

Dry your piece in the sun because this will also help kill pesky mould and spores. Definitely not in a tumble dryer.

For my own fabric disaster (in one of the recent threads) I used White Wizard, which can be applied locally and then rinsed out with water. It doesn't bleach the fabric, but it might not kill the mould either, which you really need to do.

Lastly, don't use glass when re-framing your stitching (which is very nice, BTW, and definitely worth trying to rescue!). Air circulation is essential or you'll have the same problem all over again.
Last edited by Serinde on Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

I agree that cleaning the whole piece is essential, It looks as if it had grown the mold where the framers fingers have touched the fabric.
Another thought is professional dry cleaning, they will know how to kill mould.
The only down side to not having glass in the frame is if you burn candles in the room, the soot from them can build up with time.
It is a fantastic work of art.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Hi and welcome! That's a lovely piece of stitching and what a shame that it has those marks on it!!

All I can add to the advice above is....

Is the backing material acid fast board?
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

WW, you just reminded me of something!

Ghost, when you reframe, you have to ditch the original backing board and ANYTHING that might have mould spores. :evil:
Last edited by Serinde on Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hada56

Post by hada56 »

hand wash it first, dry flat on a thick, clean, white towel, away from sunlight.
Then, see if the spots have gone away. BTW, lemon juice is a natural bleach, so be careful if you intend to use it.
I hope you're able to solve the mould/mildew problem. Your stitched piece is gorgeous!
Rose

Post by Rose »

Hi Ghost sorry for the spelling I am terrible at just typing and not proof reading I meant hand wash not wand wash. :oops:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Hada, you are correct, normally one wouldn't deliberately put stitching into the sun to dry. However, where mould is concerned, it is an effective way to help kill off anything nasty left in or on the fabric.

A bit of caution would be wise -- don't put it out in the noon day sun -- as you are located at about 40 degrees S, and I would guess the sun at this time of year can be very hot? (I'm 56 degrees north, so the sun isn't terribly strong even at mid summer!)
ConnieO

Post by ConnieO »

wendywombat wrote:Hi and welcome! That's a lovely piece of stitching and what a shame that it has those marks on it!!

All I can add to the advice above is....

Is the backing material acid fast board?
I was thinking the same Wendy. I do a lot of crafting and scrapbooking and it's essential to use acid free adhesives etc. These spots look just like the ones you get from adhesives that are not acid free.

I think the advice you have had so far is really good. Best of luck with it.

Btw, a big welcome to you Ghost and I really love the picture! :D
A stitch in time is my idea of a perfect day!
Connie :-)
Iconised Ghost

Post by Iconised Ghost »

Wow thanks for all the advice so far guys! I really didnt expect such a huge response

Taking all of the advice into account, here is what I plan on doing:
1. Remove from frame outside and brush with a light brush to get rid of mould spores
2. Test for water fastness by wetting a small area of the stitching with a paper towel and blotting
3. Test colourfast bleach on a small piece of material that will not show when framed (im not sure what brand I'm going to use. We have "Frend Vanish" which is a cold wash stain remover that you put directly onto stains. Its active ingredient is Triethanolamine. Might shop for something else though)
4. Wash piece with Persil silk wash (or equivalent that I can get here!) and rinse with cold water
5. Wash with ¼ cup white vinegar to a sink full of water to neutralise suds
6. Rinse to get rid of vinegar smell
7. Dry outside in sun
8. Wash frame with vinegar and dry
9. Do not replace the glass

How does it sound?

Jilly, thanks for your advice, burning candles shouldnt be an issue for me but I will keep it in mind should I have the urge to burn insence or candles etc near it

Wendywombat and hada, thanks for the compliments, it took a long time so im pretty keen to get it looking good again!

I'm not sure if the backing material is acid fast board or not. I guess we will find out soon enough :wink: As for adhesives, I will have to let you know Connie when I remove it from the frame, and see if the adhesive is where the spots are

Thanks rose, I was just wondering since I remember seeing old old images of people doing washing in buckets with sticks and thought maybe you were refering to that! Haha obviosuly not :mrgreen:

Serinde, yes you are right, it does get very hot here. However I do have a deck which has some covering so it gets some shade. It has been getting up to 32 degrees C on it the past few days, so if I dry it out there in the morning when its around 20 degrees it should dry relatively quickly without being in full sun
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Hi I think you got it all. Sorry not sure where I was thinking that you were in Singapore. Make sure if you do put it outside to becareful of the humidity of the day. I know a 32 C day here in New Jersey would be terribly humid too. The solution that I use is Treasure Wash by Cotton Mills. I also have Grandma's Secret Spot Remover that I haven't tried yet.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Well, you know, we love to help!

By all means put it out in the morning, but put it in the sun. It won't take long to dry (maybe half an hour?) and the sun kills the mould. Sun is good!!
Rose

Post by Rose »

Yes Sun is good for the time it will take to dry it and also kill the mold. The not putting it in the Sun is for extended periods of time like over 6 months.
Iconised Ghost

Post by Iconised Ghost »

Oooooh ok, i shall stick it in the sun then. I'll start washing soon, fingers crossed >.<