Stitchers Wonder

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

dal2@cdc.gov

Stitchers Wonder

Post by dal2@cdc.gov »

I need help!!

I just purchased a Stitchers Wonder -- a scroll frame and stand in one.

This is my first time using a scroll frame and stand -- I normally do small projects. I am having the hardest time getting used to it. It seems so SLOW.

Does anyone have any suggestions or helpful hints for me? I would appreciate it.

Before this, I just couldn't wait to get to my cross-stitching. Now I'm dragging my feet!! I'll never get this 11x14 picture done.

Thanks much,
Debbie
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I've had a look online to see what the stand looks like, and it would seem very useful. I have used stands for years for various projects, and the real advantage is the ease of using two hands when stitching (one above, and one below).

Check that you are really sitting comfortably in front of the stand. Check the stand is at the correct height for you to work easily. Is your lighting good? Have you organised yourself so that your chart, light, needles, teacup (! or whatever) is to hand? Perhaps you need to give yourself some time to get used to it?

Can't have you dragging your feet when it comes to twinkling stitching fingers! :D
ConnieO

Post by ConnieO »

I agree with Serinde, you need to make sure that the height is correct for you and where you are sitting. Not only will it slow you down, but you could end up having an ache in your neck or shoulders.

But once you get the hang of it, double handed stitching is a lot faster. Good luck with it! :D
A stitch in time is my idea of a perfect day!
Connie :-)
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

I'm with you. My husband bought be a stand for last Christmas and I'm still working on getting used to it. I have found that I like the q-snaps with it better than the scroll. Don't have much advice to give you other than make sure the fabric is taunt.
Alyson
Rose

Post by Rose »

All I can say is the height and the angle of the stand can make or break your stitching enjoyment and it may take a week or more to determine what is the best position for your style of stitching. Experiment with different chairs, heights and so on to figure it out but don't give up it is woth the extra time in the end.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
dal2@cdc.gov

Stitchers Wonder

Post by dal2@cdc.gov »

I thank everyone very much for all the help, advice, and encouragement!
I will just have to work on getting used to using the frame. It just seems so awkward and slow (used to small projects).

I was going to check out the q-snap frames, but they didn't have the sizes I needed when I was at the store. And I just couldn't wait (wanted to start on the picture), so I bought the Stitchers Wonder.

I will keep at it. I love cross stitching and I love the picture I'm working on -- A View From the Window (a seascape picture).

Thanks again!

Debbie
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

i love my q snap..i need to get other sizes...but the 2 i do have i LOVE! i dont have the size i need so i had to use a hoop..hate it..lol..anyway..good luck and can't wait to see progress!
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

On the qsnaps, there are kits of a sort that you can get that allow you plug and play the size you need. You basically buy the extenders and with the components make close to the size you need.
Rose

Post by Rose »

In the thread "Internet Sites" you will find the direct link to the Q-snap company it is a great place to go and see what is available and what you might need to get the sizes you need. I ordered from the direct and they are very fast and easy to deal with.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
mags

Post by mags »

Hi Debbie

Hope you manage to get to grips with it (sorry for pun) :lol:

I personally don't use hoops or frames as I found them too painful to hold and I could never get my stand (not a very good one I admit) in the correct position. So I am happy to just hold the fabric and luckily I can keep my tension in check.

mags :D
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

yeah i just haven't had the money to get the different pieces...they have them at the fabric shop up the street from me..i may look online though as they may be cheaper..lol
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

To be honest, I hated the q snap at first but then when I started using it on a hand dyed fabric where the holes are shrunk down it really helped. And then once I found the thing to use them on the frame it really became easy.

I still do much of my work in hand but occassionally I do need the frame to hold everything at the right tension.
dal2@cdc.gov

Stitchers Wonder

Post by dal2@cdc.gov »

Thanks again for all the help and advice.

I will definitely check out the q-snap system.

I have been working on my picture and it is getting easier for me to use the frame and stand. It just seemed awkward at first, but not as much now.

I will just keep on stitching!! I'm sure by the time I'm finished, I will hate NOT working with the scroll frame and stand !!

Debbie
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

:lol: :lol:
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

You got me thinking and now that the tree is down I dragged my stand out of the craft room and was using it this weekend along with the q snaps.
Easier going.