Disaster!

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Serinde

Disaster!

Post by Serinde »

Someone spilled whisky on the corner of my Ink Circles Blackstone Garden piece in the early hours. :evil: :evil: Luckily for them, none of the stitching was affected because these particular threads are not in any way, shape or form colourfast (Carrie's Threads: lovely, but can't wash at all). However, it is on part of the fabric which will show when framed.

I have looked at past threads to reacquaint myself with various washing techniques (had forgotten about Fairy liquid and toothbrushes!), but if anyone can help with a technique to hold the linen taut while I clean the corner, it would be helpful. And also how to minimise the water needed? Is there a spray cleaner out there?

It's currently being worked in a Q-snap, and I'm wondering if I adjust the q-snap, perhaps washing it in situ would be the smartest idea? Or should I leave it alone until the piece is completed and tackle washing that part of the fabric then?

HELP!! :cry:
Last edited by Serinde on Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

I can't write down my first reaction Serinde, I do not want to be banned from the forum.
I found a site that gives advice on stain removal.http://www.srfabrics.com/care/stain.htm
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Sorry that has not come up on a live link, not sure why.

When someone was sick inside my sons leather coat I hung it up so that any water drained off downwards, can you suspend your work on a clothes airer over the bath while you work on it?
Last edited by Jilly on Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Oh how awful! Did they at least fess up so you could get sme of it out while wet?

I have used Treasure Wash for years It's put out by Cottage Mills, Inc. I also bought something called Grandma's Secret Spot Remover at my LNS but haven't tried it yet though the owner said one of her customers swears by it and I've seen it at other shops since then.

As far as holding it taunt while washing. I think I would use the q snap but place the stitched portion in a plastic bag to prevent any splashing that might happen and have someone hold that up for you while you work on the corner.

Good luck! :cry:
mags

Post by mags »

:shock:
What is the fabric ?
Have you got some White Wizard You just put some on and wipe off with a damp cloth ? (spot test first though!) - hope it comes out
:shock:
Rose

Post by Rose »

OH no!!! What a bad stroke of luck. I can not offer any advice as I always use color fast fabric. I have not delved in to the hand dyed or other very specialized threads. I think the suggestions so far are very helpful.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

[quote="Jilly"]
When someone was sick inside my sons leather coat {quote]

eeewwwhhhhh :shock:
ConnieO

Post by ConnieO »

Oh poor you Serinde! I think I agree with Jilly, can't type what my reaction would have been for fear of getting banned, but I should think all my neighbours would have heard it! :evil:

I can't add anything more to help I'm afraid. Good luck with it!
A stitch in time is my idea of a perfect day!
Connie :-)
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

omg!!! how horrible! it better come out! good luck.
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Lacemaker, the worst part is that my son was wearing the coat at the time,
he was helping a drunk friend get home. still it stopped it going all over the car :mrgreen:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Thanks everyone. I think I'll try the White Wizard (I'd forgotten about that product) since I can get it from Lakeland, and linen is tough old stuff so i'm not worried about the fabric itself. Fingers crossed.
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

Oh Serinde - I think I would be really upset if that happened to me. I do hope you manage to get the stain out.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Me, too! :? If the absolute worst happens, I can rip out the bottom corner of stitching and re-do it (have the thread). This would give me a bit more room to work around the stained part. It wouldn't be so noticeable except there is a little whisky high-tide line... :roll: Anyway, it could have been much, much worse! :D
Last edited by Serinde on Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hada56

Post by hada56 »

have you tried Vanish? (it's the pink liquid). as you say, linen is a very tough fabric. try watering the stain remover down with a few drops of water, then gentely drop a wee bit on the stain. I've done this on stains on clothing when I didn't want to wash the whole garment.
this is one of the reasons I wouldn't want to use those specialty silks or floss and fabrics. you can't wash them, and when something like this happens, you're stuck! I do hope you can get the satin out. (as you say, there would be a whisky waterline ...he he)
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Good idea. I have some Vanish in the house (boys+dog=filth).
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Well, I ended up using White Wizard as a sort of dry cleaning paste. I let it dry and brushed it out. The initial results are encouraging. I now need to find a soft brush that will remove the rest of the residue but not fluff up the fabric. Might buy a child's toothbrush for this. But if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Have just caught up on this post.
What rotten luck!
As for a brush how about a clean blusher (make-up) brush or a soft mushroom brush?

Has any one confessed yet??? :roll:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

A new mushroom brush might do it. I think a blusher brush, even if I owned such a thing (!), would be too soft. The past sets quite hard : on my test piece I removed the residue quite successfully with a nylon veg brush, and I brushed it quite hard, but then I wasn't concerned about the fabric, except for colour fastness.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Does the paste wash out?
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Yes, it would normally. However, no water is going near these non-colourfast Carrie's threads!!