Point of Advice on hand dyeds and silks

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

lacemaker2004

Point of Advice on hand dyeds and silks

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Hello Stitchers,
Just a point of advice that was hard learned on my part. If you are using hand dyeds or silks make sure that you purchase enough (and add some extra to your estimation) up front and all at the same time, checking carefully that the dye lots match. They aren't like DMC, etc in consistency.

I am currently working on Mirabilia's Christmas Elegance which I converted to Soie d'Alger. I did the calculations for shifting from a 6 strand 8.6 m cotton to a 7 strand 5 m silk, and since they didn't say how much on the pattern we estimated where I needed more than one. First problem is that the silk doesn't go as far as the cotton. I think because the strands are plumper (not really thicker, just plumper) you get less out of the same lenght. Normally not a problem but the difference between dye lots is real bad (enter problem number two). One particular color went from being a nice muted tone of green to almost jewel tone. Luckily I noticed it and by this time someone on another chat forum had just finished their CE and posted the amount of cotton she had used. It took 3 hours of driving round trip but my husband and I drove out to a shop in Pennsylvania that carried the Sd'A. The dye lots were so off that the very nice shop owner and I ended up coming to consensus with switching out one with a blend of two Soie Cristale and substituting another with a thread gatherer that were closer in color than the Sd'A! She explained that the Sd'A that comes out of France is more consistent because of dyeing techniques but the US stuff is real inconsistent.

Once burned, I also had brought a Chatelaine that requires Gloriana. I was able to match up three of those silks but the forth was a hand dyed that was several shades lighter in color than the original. Since it's an overdyed there was no matching it to another brand so I'm just going to have to blend the two together as I stitch.

So Stitchers, lesson is buy more than enough especially if you're using specialty threads. My CE will work out as I'm out of the huge solid sections and now into disconnected smaller sections so any difference shouldn't be glaring under normal light.

This same lesson goes for any piece with cotton that has more than one skein or more than what you've got. Double check the dye lot before you start. I had one pink that came out of my stash that was very different than the new one that I bought. But that is more my fault as what came from the stash was several years old.

Last lesson is if I do this again, I'll buy all the materials very close to the stitching of the project so that I have a better chance of matching. Between companys closing their doors and dye lot issues, it just is better safe than sorry.
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

As a knitter as well I have always been aware of the different dylots with balls of yarn. But you do tend to think of cross stitch/embroidery threads and silks as more consistent.
The only difference I have come across is the Dimensions thread, I have done many of their kits and have kept all the leftover thread, some of them have the same number but are different colours, not just shade variations.
I am glad you now have some light at the end of a nightmare tunnel.
And please let me know if you do decide to go for Highland Living,it is only a stamp away, and will sit quietly in a drawer humming to itself :)
Rose

Post by Rose »

I have found that some of the thread I bought years ago and just don't use that color very often is different know then it was back then. The greys are some of the colors that have given me trouble and some of the reds also. This was with DMC so they are a bit inconsistant old to new. But I know try to only have one extra sitting in a drawer unless it is a very popular color such as white, black, 3799 and a couple others I tend to use alot.

If I think I may not have enough of a color and when I pull out the new skein and see a bit of a difference then I blend them right from the start.

I know you couldn't have anticipated what happened to you Alyson. I am glad things have worked out for you to finish.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

You can see the stitching on a post by Jamyns Fallen Angel called Getting confused when stithcing. I posted some pictures to help explain my technique to Angel. The fabric is a hand dyed called Dragon's Moon by Sugar Maple Fabrics though it looks funky on the scan.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Oh, yes, indeed! I have been working on a piece for which the beads are now out of stock. Yes, i can make substitutions, but it won't be the same. All because I didn't buy everything I needed at the time, as Lacemaker says.

Thanks, Lacemaker, for pointing this out to everyone.
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Hi Serinde,
What beads are you looking for? Something we can get over in the USA?
Let me know.
Alyson
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Thanks for the offer, but I suspect not. It is a DMC design, and calls for several of their vintage beads. Luckily, DMC numbering being what it is, I know what colour they should be, and also roughly their size. Substitution is possible -- just a pain!