Where or where have the bricks and morter gone???

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

lacemaker2004

Where or where have the bricks and morter gone???

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Well, ho ho ho, :cry: I just found out that my local shop is closing next week! Good for them, they're retiring to open a B&B but she was the only one that carried the higher end materials and projects in the area. There is one other shop but she's not carrying a full range and is catering more to the needlepoint crowd.

I know it's me. I've gotten rather adventurous in my projects lately. I've been working up my latest Mirabilia in silk and rather liked the effect (though you need at least 2 skeins to equal one skein of DMC.) Now the closest place to get the silks will be at least one hour drive. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Alyson
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

That is bad news indeed, I can understand the frustration you feel, our tiny town has one cross stitch/knitting shop, so no chance to look at any extra special goodies. I now buy online, but I would love the chance to pick over different threads and fabrics :(
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

It's so hard to do the threads on line. When I did the conversion of the dmc to silk it took three hours of looking and that was starting with the dmc to soie d algers chart but it's so not the same.

I keep dreaming about opening my own thread shop. I wish I had the nerve and time!
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Owning a shop would be heaven :D :D
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

That is back luck! But perhaps if you go into the other shop and explain, she might very well branch out into the materials you are interested in. It could be that there just wasn't the trade for both of them to cater to the same group. But she may not realise unless you tell her; and maybe you can advise on the best stash to stock... :!:
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

What a shame. I agree, Jilly, about the joys of being able to look at fabric and threads 'in the flesh'. There is nothing in my area either and I have to buy on-line. :D
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

if it makes you feel any better, there aren't any LNS in my area..the closest one is 3 hrs away and they are soooo small..nothing fancy...they rent moving trucks out of the same store front..lol :roll:
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Serinde wrote:That is back luck! But perhaps if you go into the other shop and explain, she might very well branch out into the materials you are interested in. It could be that there just wasn't the trade for both of them to cater to the same group. But she may not realise unless you tell her; and maybe you can advise on the best stash to stock... :!:
I tried once to talk to her about it since she was lamenting about places like Michael's were underselling her on dmc and project packs. I also tried to get her to think about helping to advance her customers skills with projects that were abit more advanced and some classes. She really didn't want to hear it and said she didn't have the customer base for it. I would have to disagree since the one that is closing is just doing that because of retirement not lack of customers. I've been to her stitch club days occassionally and she's got some very good advanced stitchers and a few that branched out once they got to see me or someone else working on something advanced and they could talk about it and get encouragement.

Oh well, looks like I'm back on the silk road trips again.
Rose

Post by Rose »

Bad luck. :cry: I always thought a craft shop would be a great idea but the financial to start one would be way to much for me. It is too bad your other shop is resisting the ideas you have made. Maybe she is just not that interested but if she would make the expansion she would see a bonus I am sure. Some people just can't see that far ahead. :? Well enjoy your silk trips anyway.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror