how did you start?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Ainjel333

Re: how did you start?

Post by Ainjel333 »

Wow, what a great thread! This is the first time I saw it, and have read the whole thing- I love it!

When I was about 7 or 8 yrs old, my grandmother who quilted mainly, taught me to embroider stamped quilt blocks, mostly backstitching, daisy stitches and french knots. I loved it at the time,had my own sewing box and everything. But didn't stick with it. I did some latch hook rugs and went on to all types of crafting mostly taking off in high school when the glue gun fad took off. I crocheted, painted, sewed stuffed bunnies, etc. And then when I was expecting a daughter, I decided to decorate her nursery with Precious Moments...I saw a cross stitch of a Precious Moments nativity scene in one of my Crafts N' Things magazines and just had to do it, even though I had no idea how to cross stitch. I bought the aida fabric,threads and a hoop. It took me awhile to see the 'squares' in the fabric, but after a week or so, I was going at it great. I found a split scroll frame with the stand and my love for cross stitching set in. After finishing the Precious Moments, I did a very intricately detailed Christmas stocking for myself of a country Christmas kitchen, I finished it, but with 2 toddlers running around, left cross stitching behind.
Fast forward, after getting remarried and showing my husband the stocking I did (still have it), he surprised me with a kit of a cat laying on a tree branch called "just hanging around", I think. I was hooked again (this one is pictured in my gallery album). And so my stash has grown to enough to open my own cross stitching shop now.
Note: since joining this forum, which has not been long ago, my stash has taken a HUGE expansion. :lol:

Cross stitching has always been the one craft that I have gone back to. Even when I was not actively doing it, I was still 'collecting' floss, patterns and kits for that 'someday' when I got back to it. Now it's full steam ahead, and hubby can't believe how many hours I can sit and stitch. :lol:
longtimexer

Post by longtimexer »

My grandmother was a seamstress/crafter. She taught me to embroider on stamped patterns and ones that she drew for me. She taught me to stitch and crochet. I found counted cross stitch about 35 years ago and loved it. Made lots of stuff, ornaments, baby announcements, etc. My kids came along and I got stockings and little things made for them. Got away from cross stitch and did some crocheting. I came back to cross stitch when I found a wonderful shop in Pigeon Forge TN about 10 years ago and haven't stopped since. I found this site and have branched out into larger projects. I've learned so much and found so much inspiration here. I don't post much but I lurk very often. Thanks everyone for sharing so much info. and beautiful work.
aussie_stitcher

Post by aussie_stitcher »

My grandma taught me to cross stitch when I was 12. My family had just come back from living in the US for 5 years, so having not seen her in 5 years it was a nice little bonding activity to get to know each other again. She stencilled my name, Emma, onto a scrap piece of aida, and I completed a bookmark before we went home a few days later. It's been great, because I've always had something to connect me to my Grandmother in those 'awkward-don't-understand-adults' years as a kid, something I really appreciate now she's getting older and I don't know how much time I have left with her. :( Some wonderful memories. :)
Emma

Cross stitch, a dog at my feet and a cup of tea makes a happy me. :)

WIP
Nerdy Dice Cross Stitch
Peacock Feathers

Completed 2013
King Charles Cavalier
Dachshund
Assorted Cards
Happy Hour
Bibs - 2
Eucalyptus Leaves Card (Scented)
fccs

Post by fccs »

I started stitching in my early 30's. I was doing needlepoint and don't remember why I made the move to counted cross stitch, but I am glad I did. None of my friends stitched so I taught myself and learned more with each project. (I also taught myself to crochet and I love to make afghans and scarves, but generally only in the winter when my project will keep me warm as I work on it.). I do some counted canvas work, also, but counted cross stitch is my first love.

I work projects from leaflets and from packaged kits (although I switch out the fabric in about 99% of the kits), and I often switch out the floss as well when the quality isn't what I want.

Cross stitching is very relaxing and calming for me, as I am sure it is for all if you.

Even though I have been stitching for 30 years (!), I have learned a lot on this forum. I have never gridded before, but now have two projects going where I am gridding; on one of them, I am also parking (also new to me). Thanks to what I have read, I purchased a fabric marker today, and also a package of the Pilot Frixion pens (and tested the hair dryer method of getting rid of the lines!).

I love this forum!!
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
PatriciaD

Post by PatriciaD »

Hi everyone I have been stitching for about 20+ years now. My friend and workmate is one of these people who is good at turning her hand to anything, I on the otherhand am absolutely hopeless lol. One christmas her mother-in-lay bought her a cross stitch kit and she showed me a pic of her stitching it at home, well of course I decided to give cross stitching a try even thought I couldn't sew a hem straight. I started off with a stamped cross stitch kit and of course did the usual newbie mistake of using all the 6 strands of thread then going back into the craft shop and telling the girl I ran out of thread so she put me staight on the separating the strands. So then I progressed to counted and became addicted. I ended up finishing off the kit that my friend got from her mother-in-law. So now I am kept busing with wedding and baby samplers as well as Love Quilts UK and Haed designs :D
Stephaniejane91

Post by Stephaniejane91 »

I started when I was 10 years old. My father bought me a cross stitch kit which baffled me at first but once I started I loved it. My mum was a huge cross stitcher too so we then started stitching together :)

I now live about 45 minute drive away from her now so I picked the hobby back up myself and I'm enjoying it loads x
Steph...x
stitchersflock

Post by stitchersflock »

Growing up my mum was always working on something, although that something was never cross stitch. Over the years she attempted to teach me to embroider, crochet, and knit. I didn't have the patience and I couldn't keep my nose out of a boom for long enough to be bothered to learn any of it.

When I went away to college for some reason I picked up a stamped cross stitch of Footprints. I completed it and gave it to my parents as a surprise. Ever since, cross stitch has been my thing. I still can't crochet, knit, r embroider but my stash does rival that of my mum's.
Stitchersflock

http://stitchersflock.wordpress.com

Works in Progress:

Book of Ink Circles by Tracy Horner
Summer Stack by Waxing Moon Designs
Easter chart by Lizzie Kate
thisisadiana

Post by thisisadiana »

I've loved reading all the stories!

On a vacation to Prince Edward Island, my mom picked up a cross stitch kit that she liked. When we came back home to Ottawa, I pestered her to buy me a kit as well. She took me to a little store called Cross Stitch Cupboard and let me choose a bookmark kit. It took me a couple of days to finish it. I enjoyed it, but I was a kid who dabbled for about two seconds in every craft (knitting, quilting, tatting, making tea cosies with elastic bands), learned the basics, and then got bored. A couple of years later, my mom finished her picture. For some reason I was immensely impressed by my mom - who is not a crafty person at all - and her ability to make a picture that would actually be framed and in our house and look professional. This is a woman who managed to sew the leg onto the arm and the arm onto the leg of a ballet costume. She knew more than most women do now about sowing, knitting, etc., but I think crafty stuff stressed her out mostly.

Anyways, I ran out and bought a few kits, in the hope that I too could be a "stitch painter" despite my lack of artistic ability, but I always got bored. I was never really enthusiastic about what I was making though - it seemed the options back then were to stitch flowers, cottages, or Jesus. And if a pattern only had a few colours, it was forgotten, even if I was making it for someone else. Fast forward twenty years and I am much better at outsmarting myself into stitching.

I buy tiny things I can do in a few hours so I can feel accomplished. I only buy larger designs if they have lots of colour changes so I don't get bored. It helps that there is such a bigger variety of patterns out there now. I save the parts I want to stitch in a picture till last. I get a lot more done. :)
nasreen

Post by nasreen »

I had no intention of starting a new hobby as I have so many already and have invested too much time and money in them to start a new one but I found a really cheapy kit at our equivalent of a dollar store. The kit was so cheap but had loads of thread, a needle, aida and a pattern and I gave it a go. I chucked the pattern and scoured the web for something a little "cooler". I was hooked and I bought loads of those kits the next time I went back and still use the threads now and again and the aida is brilliant for smaller pieces.
wtnlvr

Post by wtnlvr »

I didn't get into crafting till my late 20's. My grandmother taught me to crochet and knit and tried to teach me embroidery but I wasn't very good at it and had no interest. Then after I got married and finished graduate school I had time to explore new things. I got into stained glass and other crafts. Then a friend showed me her cross stitch. I thought it looked interesting but had iffy memories from a kid about it. I bought a cheap little kit of a hummingbird and that's when it all started. I still have it 20 years later! I've been addicted ever since.
AngelaV

Post by AngelaV »

My mom taught me to cross stitch when I was very young, probably around 7 or 8 years old. I think she was just trying to keep me quiet and occupied, and it worked pretty well!

My mom began cross stitching not long after she and my dad got married. They were broke students who didn't even have furniture, but she wanted to have a nice Christmas tree. She realized that she could cross stitch ornaments cheaply and quickly.

I've had a lot of hobbies come and go, but stitching has been something I've enjoyed throughout my life. It's therapy!
farmgirl

Post by farmgirl »

Two months ago, grandma showed me cross-stitch patterns she had completed over the years. I loved them so much! I asked her to teach me and she agreed. She had me start with simple Aida pre-made kits. Now, I can buy my own fabric and follow patterns from cross-stitch books!
WIPs
Zebra
Tropical fish
Dinosaurs
backafteradozenyrs

Post by backafteradozenyrs »

farmgirl-what a NEAT gift your Grandma's given to you! I think it's really cool how "generational" this particular craft can be!
Diana
WIP
Rejoice in Today Rooster=Stoney Creek
White Dorkings=Leisure Arts
White Wedding-Ellen Maurer-Stroh

Finished Masterpieces:
His Name Is Jesus
Never too old for teddy
Turn off the water sign
Debbies bookmark
dknit

Post by dknit »

When I was a new bride in a strange city and we had very little money, my DH purchased a kit for me. Now, 31 years later, I've tried many hobbies and now I'm back to cross stitching and really enjoying learning from this group. I've done several cross stitch pieces over the years but my favorite will always be the one my hubby bought for me our first year together.
Donna
moogypop

Post by moogypop »

My grandmother taught me how to stitch when I was a child and I absoloutley loved it. I only ever done little projects. Cards, Keyrings and bookmarks though and when I hit my late teens I ended up swapping the sewing needle for nights out with friends.

My grandmother was always a stitcher though with many of her pieces dotted around her house and many of the families. Sadly she passed away recently and her last piece (a beautiful white rose) was left unfinished. I asked my grandfather for it and once I feel ready Im going to finish it.

Ive dusted off my needles and Ive been doing little pieces so far to get back into the swing of things and Ive bought a large piece to do aswell before I attempt the rose. :)

ps - loved reading some of these stories!
WIP:
Bothy threads - Christmas cupcakes

moogypops.com - Craft Blog
ally

Post by ally »

OOOOOh thats a hard 1 .

I my mum did alot of corquet and kintting and i allways loved doing that .Then i got in to making soft toys by hand .

I think i got in to cross stitch thanks to my foster mum. She showed me how to do it and started me off on a few small kits. I was about 14/15 at the time. I was in foster care till i turned 18 so by then i was buying some harder kits for my self .

Boy! if she could see me now . 32 and still Cross stitch crazy.lol.
StitchedWithLovebyus

Post by StitchedWithLovebyus »

What a great way to begin in this forum. I can't quite remember how I first picked up my needle and thread.

My mum has always knitted, and used to make dresses in her younger days - but has never cross stitched like many of yours have. I could never really grasp Knitting but found a love for cross stitch, which has stayed with me.

I know my first stitch was a printed pattern stitch (the only one I ever did that was printed on the aida - preferring since then to work on counted cross stitch) but I can not for the life of me remember what the pattern was off.

There is nothing better then a completed project though and that is the love that has kept me going for all of these years.

x
L_is_a

Post by L_is_a »

I remember when I started to cross stitch, I was around 18 years old. It was Christmas time and I'd been wandering around a Christmas market when I stumbled on a stand with mini kits; I bought 2 kits - Santa and a pudding. I had absolutely no idea where to start or how much thread I needed to use (I didn't read the instruction either). I used 1 strand of thread to sew the Santa at the time I was amazed at the finished product, looking back now it makes me giggle.

From that moment I had the cross stitch bug, although I have tried many other crafty things too including knitting, crochet, quilting, card making etc. regardless I always come back to cross stitch. My older sister saw me engrossed in one of my projects and decided she too would like to join in the fun. She has more patience than I do and she quickly moved onto bigger projects. I prefer to stitch medium sized projects - you see the finished product a lot quicker :)

Im currently working on a small kit by DMC called 'by the sea'.

I have looked into joining a local cross stitching group but I appear to live in part of the country where either people don't cross stitch or they don't like to share their hobbies, so I will continue to stitch in the company of my partner and the dog :)

Happy stitching everyone.
Lisa
Dragonrider

Post by Dragonrider »

I started when I was 20. My husband (then) and I went to a line dancing evening. About half way through they had a raffle and I won a counted cross stitch chart of four different bears each with different flowers. I pulled the kit out of the bag, looked at the broad expanse of blank canvas and thought what do I do with this, I'll never be able to do it. After doing this a few times I finally decided to give it a go. I made a few mistakes,but amazingly nothing too bad. I still have it now and it will be hung in the girls room once it's decorated. I had a break after my first husband left and went to college. I got back into after I met my (current)Husband. He saw my previous work and encouraged me to do some more. Haven't really looked back. I found this site while looking for help to find a fireplace chart and my stash has grown to ridiculous proportions including 15 HAEDs (my/hubby's bank accounts hate me :lol: ). Thanks to all of you for helping me keep going. :wub: :wub:
Heidi x
ImageImage
WIP
Fireplace
Our Moon
Alex's Octopus
Moonlit Cottage
Finished in 2013
Cleaning can wait
Cmusal

Post by Cmusal »

My mom has been stitching for many years and I asked her to teach me how, so she did. Little did she know she would have a partner in crime for life! We swap charts, bouce ideas off of each other and once a month we get together with stitch minded friends and spend the day stitching. It's really pretty wonderful.