Do your hands hurt

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Jill

Do your hands hurt

Post by Jill »

Hi all I am new to this forum. I've been doing cross stitching for two years now since my friend introduced me to it and I am hooked, I just can't put it down. I do big projects but mainly now do small squares which I make into cards and I am now planning to send some off to charity as they keep mounting up.

Does anyone find their hands hurt after cross stitching for a while? How do you remedy this?
welsh wendy

do your hands hurt

Post by welsh wendy »

Hi Jill :D

Welcome to this great forum. :lol:

I spend a lot of time xstitching due to a disability that stops me doing much of anything else. I get pain in my wrist more but sometimes my hands as well. You could remedy this by buying a glove especially for crafts but I find these expensive. I just get a tubeigrip making sure that when folded it comes up to your first knuckle cut a whole in it for your thumb and then folding it over to give extra protection.

Hope this makes sense. Happy stitching :wink:
StitchingAgain

Post by StitchingAgain »

I don't get pain in my hands, but in my neck and shoulder... and thet's were my partner steps in *hugs partner*! lol! Nothing better than a shoulder and neck massage with lots of TigerBalm!
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Your hand gets sore because it's tensed in the same position all the time.

Try clenching you fist really hard and then opening your hand fast -- like you were startled. Then move your fingers as if playing the piano, rotate your thumb. Generally get the hand moving. I find this helps a lot.
Last edited by Serinde on Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catkin

Post by catkin »

Yep I get sore hands. neck and back not only with stitching but also on the computer. It's best have to take frequent breaks and walk around for a bit just the same as if you were at an office or on a long flight. And as Stitching Again said stretch out your fingers frequently to give the muscles a rest. If you don't take care there is a danger of developing carpel tunnel syndrome.
Joan
an_drea

Post by an_drea »

Some times I feel my left arm hurt, because I have less resistence or force on it.

So, I try to stitch in a correct position, not put all the weight in one side of the body.

I stitch with an frame on the floor, and I have to take more care on my positions.

See you :roll:
Jill

Post by Jill »

Thanks for your replies.

Do these symptoms put any of you off cross stitching?
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

No, it doesn't stop me. Not for long, anyway. Sore spots on my index finger stop me (briefly). My eyesight stops me sometimes. But, as you say, stitching is just something we gotta do. :D
Oortne

Post by Oortne »

As well as a cross stitcher I am a invisible mender in a woollen mill for work. Often sitting the whole day mendiing a thread that may be in the wrong positioned. So 70 metres is a long sew. It is sore on neck back and hand. You fell as if you are being dragged in. I take short breaks, but am expected to do work in a set time.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

That's hard going, Oortne. When I next go to a woollen mill and buy a jumper, I'll think of you.

Although I'm at the computer for long spells, in fact I can come and go as I please, provided the work gets done. Not the same at all.
lindagibb

Post by lindagibb »

Like Catkin and Stitching Again, tend to get a sore neck and back if I sit sitting too long. So just take regular breaks, but if I want to get something finished, just grin and bear it.
Becca

Post by Becca »

My back starts to hurt after a while if i'm not sitting somewhere comfortable enough. And today i noticed the hand i hold the needle with has gone all dry :(