Scissors

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

The other thing I bought last time I bought scissors specific for my hardanger (and I don't remember the company from the web) was a sharpening stone. I haven't used it yet but they had one that was specific for little scissors and I thought that it would be a life saver for those expensive littler goobers. I also have a local kitchen shop that can send knives out for sharpening so i would bet theat the do scissors too.
nosnin

Post by nosnin »

Funny ,I too am looking for a good pair, so this thread is awsome! The current pair that I'm using are travel scissors (they fold up). I loved them until they start to dull, and now they are not staying straight, they want to fold up. So a new pair is my only answer.
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

I ended up with a wonderful pair called Milanese Scissors, If you look at the link Mags posted, they seem to be a variation of those, I am sure you would get on well with either ones. If you look at a site called Starla's Stitch and Frame they are both featured there.
http://starlastitch.com/items/black-emb ... -scissors/
I hope this link is live, but I am rubbish at computer things :(
Dazbo666

Post by Dazbo666 »

I've used manicure scissors of some description in the past, but more recently I've actually used a hobby knife set that I'd bought for a different craft project.... It seems to do the job. :wink:
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Boy! I would hate to try to fish that out of the depths of the chair :lol: :lol:
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Dazbo666 wrote:I've used manicure scissors of some description in the past, but more recently I've actually used a hobby knife set that I'd bought for a different craft project.... It seems to do the job. :wink:
Crikey! Very much Man for the Job!!
:wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dazbo666

Post by Dazbo666 »

Jilly wrote:Boy! I would hate to try to fish that out of the depths of the chair :lol: :lol:
Yes it could give quite a shock if you're not careful with it :wink:
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

I use one for cutting my mounts, they command a lot of respect :lol:
Dazbo666

Post by Dazbo666 »

wendywombat wrote:...Crikey! Very much Man for the Job!!
:wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I like to think so :wink:

Seriously though, I realise I've been trying to find a vent for my creative side for some time - painting, decoupage, even paper craft and origami but usually losing interest fairly quickly... but I believe I've finally found a lasting interest with my cross stitch 8)
Rose

Post by Rose »

Oh we all hope this is the one you have been waiting for , it is so rewarding and the possibliities are boundless.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Dazbo666

Post by Dazbo666 »

It probably helps that although my other half loves the look of cross stitch, she also knows that she doesn't have the patience or attention to detail to complete them.

I find it's a really relaxing was to spend a few hours per session... and have a rewarding end result to show for it. :D
PaulaH

Post by PaulaH »

I've got a pair of Fiskars - I did have a stork pair but they fell apart for some reason :roll:

Paula xx
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

i use manicure scissors too! lol
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

I could probably do with sorting out some 'proper' scissors. I have a pair of sharp kitchen scissors (not ideal) and a small freebie pair I was given. I also use my 'ripper'
I am reading through this thread with interest to see which scissors seem to come out on top.
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Jilly wrote:I finally found some in our local wool/stitching shop
You've got a local stitching shop... *gazes into middle distance and heaves a disconsolate sigh* -- apparently there was a lovely needlework shop in Rugby some years before I emigrated here; just my luck :cry:
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

The shop is very tiny, it has some excellent kits and the full range of Anchor threads, but at nearly 70p a skein I don't tend to buy a many there, I would love to go to somewhere that has lots of different threads,fabrics etc, Wye needlecraft shop was fantastic, visited it while on holiday, but they did talk down to me rather, so I left without buying anything :evil:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

More fool they!
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

How silly of them -- and how unkind. It's all very well having a shop with a great range of practically everything, but if you then annoy your customers by your attitude you're not going to see them back in a hurry!
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

It was very silly really, an obvious misunderstanding, but the way the assistant spoke to me just annoyed me so much,
All around the walls of the shop were examples of Dimensions kits, I had just had my birthday so was on the lookout for some that I had seen advertised. I asked the assistant where they were in the store, indicating the one I was after by pointing to the finished sample, she looked at me, sort of laughed, and said something along the lines of 'oh no madam, if you want those you have to stitch them yourself' I felt so humiliated I did not try to clarify my question.
I found them on line half the price when I got home, their loss.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Well, I'm cross for you, Jilly. :evil:

However, back to scissors. There's a sale on at the moment here: http://www.stitchdirect.com/shopWebSite ... 346&page=2

(and it includes more than scissors...)