Getting tired of same old designers in UK stitching mags ...

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Slinky

Getting tired of same old designers in UK stitching mags ...

Post by Slinky »

Thought I'd throw this thought out to see if anyone else feels the same way.

I subscribe to a bunch of UK stitching mags - WOXS, Cross Stitcher etc, and flicking through a few recent issues I was struck at just how few designers they use and how same-y the designs have become. i actually tested myself to see if I could recognise the designer from the design and got every single one correct (expect one!) in one magazine.

Don't get me wrong I do like these designers, but up to a point. Surely there's a limit to how many Lesley Teare birdhouses, or Joan Elliot fairies, or Gail Bussi tea tray inserts one can stitch?

Am I being a grumpy (not so) old woman?
~ girls with dreams grow into women with vision ~

WIPs:
The Sweetheart Tree 12 Days of Christmas
Sharon Pope's Gingerbread Cottage
Chatelaine Christmas Mystery 2011
noctifyre

Re: Getting tired of same old designers in UK stitching mags ...

Post by noctifyre »

Tbh I never fancied one (or more?) of the UK mags because of the type of designs they always seem to have... the cutesy, suzy's zoo-esque ones? Iunno, understand what I'm talking about.

But I just get tired of seeing them, and I only have looked at them when I'm in the bookstore or something... can't imagine how tiresome it might get to see the same designers over and over per mag! :?

I do have to say that Joan Elliot has some nice designs... well, I liked this peacock someone was doing in Stitch-A-Long, anyways. <_<
WIPs
Chickadees On A Branch (Dimensions Stamped)
Free Flight (Dimensions)
A Season For Everything (Dimensions Stamped)
Snowflake Elegance Ornaments (Dimensions Gold)
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

I agree. I'd love to have a magazine subscription but all the designs are very similar and I don't like them ... and it just doesn't get better.
Myst..
XandraS

Post by XandraS »

[quote="Slinky"
Am I being a grumpy (not so) old woman?[/quote]

Not at all, not only is it the same designers over and over with their signature styles, but I've also noticed how the designs are really similar as well. For example the amount of owl designs in Crossstitcher and WOXS in 2010, all in the same style, just different colours and finishing methods. I'm really tempted to stop buying them, but always afraid I'll miss something I'll really like :)
Lately I've fallen in love with the designs in The Gift of Stitching, saving up to buying all the backissues now :)
XandraS...
Slinky

Post by Slinky »

XandraS wrote:I've also noticed how the designs are really similar as well. For example the amount of owl designs in Crossstitcher and WOXS in 2010, all in the same style, just different colours and finishing methods.
I noticed that too. Reading a brand new issue feels like Groundhog Day! Pleased to see they are trying some new designers, like Gill Aldous, who did the pirate girl. Let's hope they find many more.
XandraS wrote:I'm really tempted to stop buying them, but always afraid I'll miss something I'll really like :) Lately I've fallen in love with the designs in The Gift of Stitching, saving up to buying all the backissues now :)
I feel the same way! Just occasionally there's a must-have chart and I would hate to miss it. Not familiar with Gift of Stitching, must check it out!!
Last edited by Slinky on Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WIPs:
Midge

Post by Midge »

I used to get CSCollection on subscription but got sick and tired of the Joan Elliot fairies/godesses and Maria Diaz's bos-eyed animals, so I cancelled it last September.
I now have a quick flick of all the mags in WHS and if there is a must have chart, I buy it. I also check the coming next issue page and if there is a design I like, I make a mental note and then get it as soon after publication as I can.
Love from another GrumpyX!
2022 is yet another year of the UFO!!
Great Wall of China,
Peacocks and Pheasants,
Birds of a feather,
Hardanger Table runner,
TW Peacock Tapestry,
Milennium Sampler,
Yes, they are all STILL in progress!
kell

Post by kell »

I do wish they would feature more designers and perhaps give new designers a chance. All they's have to do is have a quick surf on the internet to see just how many talented designers there are out there and then approach a few of them. I'm sure any designer would be incredibly flattered to be approached.

And I don't just mean the designers for profit either - there are many talented designers out there creating only freebie charts for the sheer joy of doing so, who would love the chance to be paid for a design or two. I regularly download free designs from many such designers and am constantly in awe of their talent. And I know how much I would adore seeing someone like our Mabel have some of her hardanger designs showcased in a magazine - wouldn't that be something!
milkmaid

Post by milkmaid »

i'm the same ,have a quick look and normally now tend not to buy them
after all a mag is the price of a bale of hay ,work everything out that way now ,
most of them i tend to think i'd rather buy a chart that i would do
freelady

Post by freelady »

It's so good to know I'm not alone in this. I seldom buy the magazines for the reasons you have all stated already, and have cancelled the subscription I do have because I don't find anthing I want to stitch in them. One alphabet in three months isn't good value to me.. I do look at them in the shops to see if I want to buy them, but then they are in plastic bags so you can't see what is in them so I don't buy them either!
Nachstenliebe

Post by Nachstenliebe »

I agree as well... I would LOVE to see at least one single issue focused on new up and coming designers.. Kind of like a fasion week thing..... The magazines seems to be so quickly thrown together, and the same thing over and over, not just with the designers and their designs....
Faith
corby_stitcher

Post by corby_stitcher »

Slinky wrote:Reading a brand new issue feels like Groundhog Day! Pleased to see they are trying some new designers, like Gill Aldous, who did the pirate girl. Let's hope they find many more.
I feel the same way. I used to buy WOXS every month. But after a year or so, i noticed that the same sort of chart was appering in every issue. That was untill issue 177 when i noticed the Pirate girl. When i saw it i knew i had to stitch it. But looking at the next issue page, there is only one chart that says to me "stitch me".
I personly think that KELL should send some of her designes in, and try to get some in print.
WIP -

Stitch List -
Country Threads - Down On His Luck.
Bearded Dragon - Charted by Skitzzzzz.
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

trust me..it's the same in the US mags..same 'ole same 'ole. thats why i don't sub to any anymore...i just flip through them at the bookstore if i'm lucky enough to find them anymore
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I subscribed to Cross Stitcher for a year but found I wasn't really doing much from them, and like you Jane, I was beginning to recognise designer's projects -- in itself not a bad thing, I like designers to have their own quirks and style or everyone would be doing the same thing, but variety is always a good idea, and as Kell says, there are plenty of fresh new designers out there (notice how she very modestly omitted mentioning herself :-)?) to give readers something new and different.

Perhaps they are "playing it safe", thinking some designers will always sell?
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Slinky

Post by Slinky »

Well it's a relief to know it's not just me. :D
I feel so strongly about the lack of 'fresh blood' I might email the magazine. They are always asking for feedback after all.

WIPs:
RosemaryH

Post by RosemaryH »

Since moving to Spain I have bought and enjoyed loads of the cross stitch magazines but have now said enough is enough and will not buy anymore partly due to the repetition of older English designs and partly because I have discovered that I have some charts several times in different magazines.

Rosemary
I’m part of the Transworld Book Group!’
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

I think you're right.
I had a subscription and I collected magazines form ebay and 2nd hand shops, but have now stopped because like you say, it's all very repetitive.
For me as well, with the subscription I found the fact it wasn't just an issue per holiday theme but for example Christmas, which I don't celebrate, continued through a few. So those issues, were no good for me and I ended up with a good percentage of the magazines that I'd bought for the year, being discarded.

I find I'd look more on the internet for good freebie or inexpensive charts rather than buy a magazine anymore.
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
RosemaryH

Post by RosemaryH »

Hi TB

I have been meaning to contact you to see if you wanted the chart for the little picture that I did a couple of year ago for my friend. I think that you said that it was near to where you live. I think it was called something Craig, Derwent water.

Rosemary
I’m part of the Transworld Book Group!’
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

oh my, there are some wonderful designs in Gift of Stitching!! Damn.....can you hear my wallet screaming???

Niki x
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
kell

Post by kell »

corby_stitcher wrote:I personly think that KELL should send some of her designes in, and try to get some in print.
Mabel Figworthy wrote:... and as Kell says, there are plenty of fresh new designers out there (notice how she very modestly omitted mentioning herself :-)?) to give readers something new and different.
Awww, you guys are awfully sweet, thank you. :oops: :wub:
Rose

Post by Rose »

I think this whole thread should be sent to all of the magazines so they understand what the active stitchers are really looking for not what the editors and designers think they should have............ Just my 2 cents
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror