ambidextrousness

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Angel

ambidextrousness

Post by Angel »

I am a right hand girl. I literally can't even apply nail polish with my left hand as as such have pretty much left it for the sole purpose of typing, and while my right hand is cabpalbe of using several fingers on my keyboard, my left hand is more of a peck hand (one finger searching for the keys). And this is ok as I'm used to it, but I enjoy two handed stitching. It's faster, more effective and allows me to zoom through my stitching at a pace I prefer, the only problem is that I can only stitch two handed for a short time as my left hand starts to shake pretty badly, while my right hand is steady.

I was wondering if there were any two handed stitchers who had the same trouble with their left hand when starting out. I was wondering if perhaps anyone knew if I'd develop my left hand with enough time and hopefully become ambidextrous enough to stitch two handed with proficiency.
ChicagoMay

Re: ambidextrousness

Post by ChicagoMay »

I've been working on building up my strength in my left hand for stitching and for the nursing skills I learn from school. My hand does the same, started to get really fatigued. It has been getting better though, I can stitch 2 handed longer now! I also found that if my left hand is on top, things move faster because I can see the hole I'm trying to put the needle in. When I had it under, it took so long for me to find the right hole hahaha!

Can't wait to see what others have to say though!
DraconicWench

Post by DraconicWench »

I'm left handed but can use my right hand easily for everything but writing. My mom, also a lefty, cannot stitch two handed because her right hand tires out quite quickly.
Lynn
She who waits, also serves.

WIPs
Jungle Safari BA for baby J

2012 HDs
Anatomically correct heart
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

Is two handed stitching with two needles or up with one down with the other?
Myst..
mig-3

Post by mig-3 »

One needle. One hand on top, the other beneath. :) I'm a lefty, but stitch & snip right handed....I've never figured out how that works.
Jarvis
ohstitcher

Post by ohstitcher »

I am left handed but do everything righthanded except eat and write. I injured my right hand almost 2 years ago and it was tough stitching with my left hand but I did it!!!
There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of man ~ Winston Churchill~
Slinky

Post by Slinky »

I am the same. Right handed but can stitch two handed, left on top, right underneath (locating those holes!), and my left hand tires first.

I guess practice builds up stamina in the weaker hand!
~ girls with dreams grow into women with vision ~

WIPs:
The Sweetheart Tree 12 Days of Christmas
Sharon Pope's Gingerbread Cottage
Chatelaine Christmas Mystery 2011
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

I'm with you Angel - I can't do much with my left hand!

Recently I've been stitching on a pre-fabricated cushion cover, and have had to resort to two hands at the bits nearer the edge where there is less space to keep withdrawing my hand - but its very slow and fumbly!

I do figure that if I really concentrated on it and practised I'd be ok with my left hand, but can't be bothered going through the hassle!!

Niki x
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
stitchingmae

Post by stitchingmae »

Well I am a one handed stitcher I only have hand held frames :( I have never gotten the nerve to buy a lap stand etc plus I spent so much money last year buying different type of frames...
Scroll frame..
Q-snap

and then reverted back to the hoops...and now i have those others just sitting away that I think if I tried to buy another frame my DH would flip gotta find homes for the other frames first haha.

I am very right handed!! I can type with my left hand not hunt and peck my mom purchased a computer in the late 90's when home computers were just starting to be a normal thing lol and the first game she got me was a typing game when I wanted to "play" on the computer I had to play that game so I could pretty much type without looking before I was in Highschool typing class was a BREEZE LOL my smart mom.

I can also insert catheter's with my left hand go figure...I know prob TMI but someone mentioned nursing skills haha. I also feel for veins left handed but that is because I stick with the right!!
Carole

Post by Carole »

I'm very right handed too, but I can stitch with my left hand underneath. I'm still not particularly fast, but it's slightly faster that way for me than one-handed. I rarely stitch for more than a couple of hours at a time so my hand doesn't get tired.
I've tried using the left above the work but just can't do it that way round as my arm starts to shake.
Current WIPs
Precious Dreams
Crazy cat lady
Previous WIPs
Previous WIPs

Angel

Post by Angel »

I don't actually use a frame half of the time. I can stitch just as well without one and I only ever use one if the fabric is too heavy to work with otherwise. :oops: I have my left hand on top, otherwise I can't find the holes :P