Vermont-alicious BINGO! Lizzieh is the winner!!

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Ketta

Re: Vermont-alicious BINGO! 2nd numbers up June 9

Post by Ketta »

Carole, I'd swear we choose the same numbers every time! None here for me either...it would be interesting to compare lists sometime!
Blog: http://ketta-ketta.blogspot.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=12786" target="_blank" target="_blank (bug)

http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=13419" target="_blank (Serenity)
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Ketta wrote:Carole, I'd swear we choose the same numbers every time! None here for me either...it would be interesting to compare lists sometime!
I have noticed that too! "Great minds......"

Carole
:lol:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
backafteradozenyrs

Post by backafteradozenyrs »

Nope, none for me (yesterday). But those photos are gorgeous!
Diana
WIP
Rejoice in Today Rooster=Stoney Creek
White Dorkings=Leisure Arts
White Wedding-Ellen Maurer-Stroh

Finished Masterpieces:
His Name Is Jesus
Never too old for teddy
Turn off the water sign
Debbies bookmark
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

Very interesting info!!

I got 1 so far!
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
nachosmiley

Post by nachosmiley »

None for me either today...You know I think I'm going to bookmark this thread just on the extremely slim off-chance that I ever get to visit Vermont :lol: .....Shelburne Farms looks like an amazing place to visit too!
W.I.P.
My Altair chart 66.11%
Chatelaine Mystery XV-Deep Blue Sea 6/12
HAED Mini Fairy Book 43.55%
HAED Lady in the Meadow 13.07%
Finishes
Duality
Zelda valentine
Beware of the DM
HAED SK Oak King
Magic Dragon
Lizzieh

Post by Lizzieh »

love all your photos, but only 1/10 so far.
Liz

WIPIn rotation
Quick Stitch Tulips
Egyptian heart
Pretty pastels
Peek a boo

UFO
HAED storykeep

2014 finishes
Parent's garden
JessicaLeigh

Post by JessicaLeigh »

Only 1/10 so far from me! Such beautiful, interesting photos!
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

Today's numbers are 23 and 10. They'll go up around this time on weekdays because of work.

23. Covered Bridges http://www.coveredbridgemap.com/vt/" target="_blank

Covered Bridges are one of the architectural wonders Vermont is known for. There are many conservation efforts to keep the bridges intact and in use if possible. There are covered bridges tours all over the state, and some people sort of "collect" bridges and try and visit as many as possible. There are covered bridge societies and everything!

It's pretty amazing to see these structures scattered throughout the state. I've only seen a few, but it's so neat to see something that's stood for over a hundred years or more. Some of you may recall in the Hurricane Irene news from September 2011 that 3 covered bridges were washed away. It was upsetting to lose them, and in some towns they were the only way over the river for miles and miles.

Mom at the Waitsfield Bridge (I think!)
Imageby Ryan Williamson
Imageby Carl Morrison

10. Green Mountains http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Mountains" target="_blank

Vermont is literally named after the Green Mountains. In 1777 Dr. Thomas Young (American revolutionary and Boston Tea Party participant) suggested Vermont after the French Verts Monts. Vermont's nickname is also "The Green Mountain State" which is on all Vermont license plates. So it's kind of redundant how it says Vermont on top and The Green Mountain State on the bottom of each plate. :)

The Green Mountains were formed about one billion years ago and 400 million years ago there was a second mountain building period. At that point the Green Mountains were 15 -20,000 feet tall, comparable to the Himalayas. That is no longer the case as the highest peak in Vermont, Mount Mansfield, is 4395 feet (1340m).

There is a Green Mountain National Forest that encompasses the mountain range and is home to a lot of wildlife: beaver, moose, coyote, white-tailed deer, black bear, wild turkeys and many other birds. You can also travel along part of the Appalachain Trail and Long Trail and the Robert Frost Recreational Trail. And of course, there are ski areas, both nordic and alpine as well as cross-country.

And in case you're wondering why these mountains are called "Green", they have a dense boreal forest that can withstand the harsh Vermont winters. There will usually be snow on the mountaintops from October to May and if you're traveling north to south almost anywhere in the State you can see the Green Mountains peeking above the horizon.

View from the Enosburg, VT country club

Imageby Stephanie Breakstone

Overview of the Green Mountain Range and its location:
marniecat

Post by marniecat »

I'm not participating in the Bingo, but I am loving learning about Vermont. Makes me want to come visit. There is something about those covered bridges that is so romantic to me!
JessicaLeigh

Post by JessicaLeigh »

2/10 for me! I love those bridges! They are beautiful, and it's so sad that some of them have been lost. :(
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

Still 1/10, but I'm loving all the pictures and info.
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

I got 3/10 now :D

Nx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
backafteradozenyrs

Re: Vermont-alicious BINGO! 3rd numbers up June 10

Post by backafteradozenyrs »

:dance: The covered bridges gives me my 1st! :dance:
Diana
WIP
Rejoice in Today Rooster=Stoney Creek
White Dorkings=Leisure Arts
White Wedding-Ellen Maurer-Stroh

Finished Masterpieces:
His Name Is Jesus
Never too old for teddy
Turn off the water sign
Debbies bookmark
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:( that I have nothing again. I knew that starting off with a bang was not a good sign. :D for the pictures of the covered bridges. I saw a special on some channel years ago about covered bridges. It was so interesting. I don't know if it was just Vermont or not, but these photos are very inviting.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
socialsue

Post by socialsue »

2/10 I had many happy memories while in Vermont and some of these pictures are bringing back my times there. There is a covered bridge in Madison County in Iowa which I have been there since my mother grew up in Winterset. Beautiful state in Vermont!

socialsue :D
nachosmiley

Post by nachosmiley »

Got the covered bridges so now I'm at 2/10 :dance:

I'm really loving the info...there's something about Vermont that calls to me....maybe its because my big bro is now living in New Hampshire which I believe is close by? (Excuse my poor geography if that's not true!) but it's most likely the stunning scenery...you are very lucky to be moving there Tiffany...I'm sooo jealous :D !
W.I.P.
My Altair chart 66.11%
Chatelaine Mystery XV-Deep Blue Sea 6/12
HAED Mini Fairy Book 43.55%
HAED Lady in the Meadow 13.07%
Finishes
Duality
Zelda valentine
Beware of the DM
HAED SK Oak King
Magic Dragon
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

Vermont looks gorgeous!

I got one more today, so it's 2/10.
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:applesauce: Got both today so now up to 3/10. :wub: those covered bridges and don't the Green Mountains look great too. Thanks Tiffany. :D
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

nachosmiley wrote:Got the covered bridges so now I'm at 2/10 :dance:

I'm really loving the info...there's something about Vermont that calls to me....maybe its because my big bro is now living in New Hampshire which I believe is close by? (Excuse my poor geography if that's not true!) but it's most likely the stunning scenery...you are very lucky to be moving there Tiffany...I'm sooo jealous :D !
Yes, it's the neighbouring state to the east. You can see NH on the small map of the Green mountains I posted yesterday, that's New Hampshire. :) I hope he's going to stock up on stitching supplies for you!
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

Today's numbers are 8 and 19

8. Green Mountain Boys https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Mountain_Boys" target="_blank

The Green Mountain Boys are a militia organization that first formed in the 1760s. They lived in the New Hampshire Grants, an area of land in between New York and New Hampshire, i.e. where Vermont is now. They were led by Ethan Allen and included many of his relatives and they stood up to New York state, who was trying to take over the New Hampshire Grants.

In 1777 the Vermont Republic was formed and the Green Mountain Boys became the State militia. There were several companies and the Green Mountain Boys served in many wars (American Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Civil War and the Spanish American War. The GMB had disbanded after joining the Union in 1791, but mustered again for the later wars when needed. The current Vermont National Guard also calls themselves the Green Mountain Boys and uses the original flag design.

19. Calvin Coolidge https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_Coolidge" target="_blank

John Calvin Coolidge Jr. was born in Plymouth Notch, VT on July 4, 1872. An auspicious birth date for a future U.S. President! Coolidge did leave Vermont to go to school at Amherst in Massachusetts and became a well-known lawyer and eventual governor of Massachusetts before becoming the 30th President of the United States.

The Vermont tie-in, besides President Coolidge's birth place, is the Calvin Coolidge Homestead District, where the President's childhood home is located. It's also the place Calvin Coolidge was originally sworn in as President (by his own father!) after President Harding died suddenly. And since his father refused modernization of almost any kind, the Homestead is in almost the same condition and has the same furnishings as when Calvin Coolidge was sworn in as President.

The Calvin Coolidge Homestead District is overseen by the state of Vermont. All buildings have been restored to as much of their original condition as possible and the site is open from May-October every year. Calvin Coolidge, and many relatives' gravesites are also practically across the road from the Homestead.

I've never been there, and actually didn't even know Calvin Coolidge was born in Vermont! So maybe a trip to Plymouth Notch will be in the future. :)

Image public domain image
Imageby RebelAt