Vermont-alicious BINGO! Lizzieh is the winner!!

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

tiffstitch

Re: Vermont-alicious BINGO! Sign-ups till June 7

Post by tiffstitch »

One more day to sign up for bingo! You have until midnight EDT June 7. Don't forget I changed the prize a bit, you can have a stitchy prize or a Vermont-oriented prize that will include maple syrup or maple sugar in some form. :D

Good luck everyone!
backafteradozenyrs

Post by backafteradozenyrs »

nachosmiley wrote:I would love to join after a long bingo absence!

Sam
Ditto---see y'all there!
Diana
WIP
Rejoice in Today Rooster=Stoney Creek
White Dorkings=Leisure Arts
White Wedding-Ellen Maurer-Stroh

Finished Masterpieces:
His Name Is Jesus
Never too old for teddy
Turn off the water sign
Debbies bookmark
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

backafteradozenyrs wrote:Ditto---see y'all there!
Got your PM!

Here's the list as of 9:12PM, only a few more hours to sign up!

rcperryls
JessicaLeigh
geekishly
Lady S
Ketta
Lizzieh
Squirrel
Fizzbw
verajane
nachosmiley
socialsue
Serinde
backafteradozenyears

That means a lucky 13 participants, any others?

I have to work tomorrow so the first numbers will go up tomorrow night. I will aim to get 2 numbers up every day.

Good luck everyone!
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

Today's numbers are 9 and 4!

9. Abenaki people https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abenaki" target="_blank

The Abenaki are a tribe of Native American (in the United States) and First Nations (in Canada) people. They speak Algonquin and live in the New England region of the U.S. and in Quebec and the Maritimes in Canada. The word Abenaki means "people of the dawnlands". The Abenaki call themselves either Alnôbak, meaning "Real People" or Wôbanuok, meaning "Easterners" compared to the other Algonquin-speaking tribes.

The Missisquoi tribe lived on the banks of Lake Champlain, although many Abenaki retreated into Canada when New England was settled by the English around the 1670s. Four Abenaki communities live in Vermont. As of last year all 4 were recognized by the State of Vermont. Considering the methods used to eradicate the "true people" in the early 20th century, it's amazing that Vermont now recognizes the Abenaki people. The family groups of Abenaki that existed in the early 20th century were mostly demolished due to forced sterilization and pregnancy termination.

When the tribal members debate issues, they consider the Three Truths:
Peace: Is this preserved?
Righteousness: Is it moral?
Power: Does it preserve the integrity of the group?
These truths guide all group deliberations, and the goal is to reach a consensus. If there is no consensus for change, they agree to keep things as they are.

And lastly, I found the hairstyles of men very interesting. Traditionally, when an Abenaki man is unattached, his hair will be long and loose. If he finds a girlfriend, his hair gets tied, and if they get married all but the ponytail is then shaved. The modern version has the girlfriend braiding a long tail and the sides and back are shaved. The spiritual meaning is to indicate fidelity on the part of the man.

4. Smuggler's Notch https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smugglers%27_Notch" target="_blank

In an odd coincidence, we drove through Smuggler's Notch this past Tuesday. It's a fun, but harrowing drive, you go up and up and up and then down through maybe 8-12 switchbacks! And the road is closed from October to May every winter. Smuggler's Notch is made up of Morse Mountain, Madonna, and Sterling Mountains.

Smuggler's Notch is rather obviously named because 200 years ago smugglers used Vermont's Long Trail to transport illegal or embargoed goods across the Canadian border. The highest incidence of smuggling happened at 2 major occasions in U.S. history. The first occasion, when the U.S. Congress blocked all English goods from entering the U.S. happened in the early 1800s. Smugglers would just pick up their goods in Canada and use the multitude of caves and tunnels in the Long Trail to store their embargoed merchandise. Then over 100 years later when Prohibition started, smugglers would bring down alcohol from Canada and store it in the nice room-temperature caves safe from the revenue agents.

It's a beautiful area for hiking, and I spent some time there with my mom in 2011. Here she is next to some of the large boulders near the parking area at the top of the Notch.

And here's a picture of the entire area from the Smuggler's Notch Resort website.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

That is 2 interesting pieces Tiffany. Love the sound of Smugglers Notch and it has got me off to a good start too.

1/10
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
backafteradozenyrs

Post by backafteradozenyrs »

:tantrum: nope, none for me :tantrum:

But that was interesting about the mens hair.
Diana
WIP
Rejoice in Today Rooster=Stoney Creek
White Dorkings=Leisure Arts
White Wedding-Ellen Maurer-Stroh

Finished Masterpieces:
His Name Is Jesus
Never too old for teddy
Turn off the water sign
Debbies bookmark
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Nothing for me either, this time, but very interesting.
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

Thanks! I'm learning a lot too. :) Next numbers will go up tonight.

Congrats on getting one already Sally! Hopefully more people will have luck tonight.
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

I also got help from Smuggler's Notch!

1/10
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
nachosmiley

Post by nachosmiley »

I have one today :dance:

Enjoying the info too......I'm especially impressed with Smugglers Notch it looks sooo beautiful...I would love to visit...(I have a 'thing' for mountains!) Did you ever find any of the caves when you explored the area...that would be so exciting!? :D
W.I.P.
My Altair chart 66.11%
Chatelaine Mystery XV-Deep Blue Sea 6/12
HAED Mini Fairy Book 43.55%
HAED Lady in the Meadow 13.07%
Finishes
Duality
Zelda valentine
Beware of the DM
HAED SK Oak King
Magic Dragon
Ketta

Post by Ketta »

I got both today, but a good start usually means a long dry spell toward the end...perhaps this is the time I'll break the trend! :)

2/10
Blog: http://ketta-ketta.blogspot.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=12786" target="_blank" target="_blank (bug)

http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=13419" target="_blank (Serenity)
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: I got both of yesterday's, but like Ketta that usually means a dry spell to follow. This is a very interesting Bingo. I am learning a lot and the pictures are beautiful!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

I got 1/10 ;)

Very interesting stuff, and beautiful.

Nxxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

nachosmiley wrote:I have one today :dance:

Enjoying the info too......I'm especially impressed with Smugglers Notch it looks sooo beautiful...I would love to visit...(I have a 'thing' for mountains!) Did you ever find any of the caves when you explored the area...that would be so exciting!? :D
It would have been! Unfortunately my Mom can't hike for long because of a bad knee, so we didn't explore too much. Maybe next time. I haven't been up there with DH yet and we'd like to go. It is a gorgeous area, it's quite near Stowe, Vermont which is a large tourist zone, although the town itself isn't very big.
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

Today's numbers are 21 and 7.

21. Orson Bean http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004730/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1" target="_blank

I know Orson Bean from my favourite cartoon, the Hobbit by Rankin Bass (1977) when he voiced Frodo. He also voiced Frodo and Bilbo Baggins in The Return of the King (1980), also by Rankin Bass. Many of you may know him from his many TV appearances, including many appearances on To Tell the Truth and the Tonight Show with Jack Paar and Johnny Carson. He had a decent stint on Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman in the 90s and with Normal Ohio in 2000. And recently he was Mr. Bender on Desperate Housewives.

Orson Bean was born Dallas Frederick Burroughs in Burlington, Vermont on July 22, 1928. He started out with a comedy act that launched him into Broadway success and then on to film and TV. In fun trivia, he's second cousins with President Calvin Coolidge, who was President of the U.S.A. at the time of Orson Bean's birth. He also founded the arts-oriented 15th Street School of New York.

Online I found an older photo and a more recent shot to refresh your memories:

Image unknown photographer
Imageby Albert L. Ortega

7. Shelburne Farms http://www.shelburnefarms.org/" target="_blank

Shelburne Farms is a nonprofit education organization located in Shelburne, Vermont. It's 1400 acres and on the banks of Lake Champlain. We've visited several times, and it's pretty amazing. You can take a riding tour or walk some of the numerous trails. They don't currently allow bikes, but they do allow dogs at certain times of the year. There is a small fee to enter Shelburne Farms unless you have a membership pass. I think the fee includes the tour though, and you get to sample their home-made cheese at the end. :)

It's such a popular idea for summer camps for children, there's a lottery and you have to make reservations to dine in their restaurant or stay at the Inn well in advance. They use only foods produced on the farm, and all the produce is organically grown.

The back story is the land (3800 acres) was purchased way back in 1889 by Dr. William Seward and Lila Vanderbilt Webb. They hired landscape architect Frederick Law Olmstead, Sr. to design the grounds, and I believe he also designed Central Park in New York City. The four main buildings were designed by Robert H. Robertson, an architect in very high demand at the time. He has so many famous building credits, it's easier just to check the link. :)

Shelburne Farms was famous around the turn of the 19th to 20th century for its innovative farming practices, hackney horse breeding and it's grand family residence. There was a significant drop in popularity after 1910 however, and at one point the Farm was at risk of being sold off in parcels. The remaining family members were able to re-invent Shelburne Farms in 1972 and have been going strong since then. Shelburne Farms was declared a National Historic Landmark in 2001.

The Coach Barn
Imageby Stephen Straub

The Farm Barn
Imageby Orah Moore

The Inn at Shelburne Farms
Imageby Marshall Webb
The view from the lawn at the Inn

The unlabeled shots were taken by me, and here's one final one. Sorry it's so picture heavy, but it's such a cool place.

Otto and the chickens
Imageby Frank Gore
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

No numbers for me today. :(

But Shelburne Farms looks like a great place to visit!
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
socialsue

Re: Vermont-alicious BINGO! 2nd numbers up June 9

Post by socialsue »

1/10 so far.... beautiful places at both the mountains and at Shelburne Farms. I love Vermont and thank you for the interesting information about Vermont!

socialsue :dance:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

None for me today so I'm still 2/10, but love the info. I remember Orson Bean. As that is so interesting about the farm. Sounds like JA fun place to visit and stay at too. I have to get to New England sometime.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
geekishly

Post by geekishly »

1/10 for me with smuggler's notch from the other day.
- Brandi

WIPs
Joan Elliot's "Grace"
"Sephina's Secret" by Illustrated Ink
Small Projects - Belle & Boo girl w/dove

my blog
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

None for me today but how lovely to have an area like Shellburn Farms to go to.
Thanks Tiffany. :D
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262