NZ Earthquake

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Nachstenliebe

Re: NZ Earthquake

Post by Nachstenliebe »

Oh my goodness! How scary! I'm glad that everyone seems to be for the most part ok... :hug:
Faith
hada56

Post by hada56 »

I heard about the earthquake yesterday, and I'm glad to read that you're all OK,I know what it feels like.
Cecilia

Post by Cecilia »

I'm glad that you are all OK. :hug:
Completed 2017: Anniversary Sampler by The Sweetheart Tree

Love comforteth like sunshine after rain. Shakespeare
pamelam

Post by pamelam »

Glad that you're all alright!
Pam
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

Very scary!! I'm glad you New Zealanders are ok.

Big hugs

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
Wandatoo

Post by Wandatoo »

Very scary awakening! Glad damages weren't more serious. Are earth quakes common in NZ? They appear to be happening everywhere more often lately.
Wandatoo

"Dogs come when they're called. Cats take a message and get back to you."
Zeb

Post by Zeb »

Wandatoo New Zealand is right on the Pacific rim so technically they should be very common; but other than a few minor jolts we've been very lucky. There have been some big ones in our past, but not in recent years.

The fact that it happened in the Christchurch area was actually a surprise to geologists here because they didn't think a fault line existed in the area.

I feel so bad for everyone in Christchurch, and am worried for a number of friends I haven't heard from yet. They've got a massive storm heading their way today.

Yesterday was an all round bad day for New Zealand. We also lost 9 young lives to a plane crash on one of our glaciers :(
Zeb A.
Keep Calm and Cross Stitch
http://www.ixari.net
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Wandatoo, there are a large number of quake lines all over NZ and they used to be pretty common in Christchurch when I was growing up there. The last one I can remember was about 13 years or so ago. The shakiest parts of the South Island has to be the West Coast and down around the lakes in Queenstown area which have several large fault lines. Wellington, our capital city and in the North Is also has a lot of quakes. It has been known for a long time that ChCh was overdue for a big quake.

By the way Zed, did you know Auckland is built on top of 2 volcanoes???

Like you I am still trying to get in touch with friends back home.
Hopefully by the end of today I will have caught up with them. Its rather worrying thats for sure.

Hopefully the norwest gales don't happen today or the cold front tomorrow. They don't need either of them.

MURMURED how are things with you today? I do hope that you managed to get some sleep amongst all the after shocks.
Squirrel
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Murmured

Post by Murmured »

Wandatoo wrote:Very scary awakening! Glad damages weren't more serious. Are earth quakes common in NZ? They appear to be happening everywhere more often lately.
Quakes are reasonably common in NZ. I have spent about 7 years living in wellington, which is a typical 'earthquake prone' city and we'd get an eathquake maybe every year or two, and about as big as the aftershocks we've been feeling now, enough to shake things a bit but no real damage. Yesterdays quake was a bit special.
Squirrel wrote:MURMURED how are things with you today? I do hope that you managed to get some sleep amongst all the after shocks.
Squirrel
We had the landlord come over to look at the damage and discovered there was a big crack in the ceiling we hadn't noticed, running across the whole living area, so they'll be coming back to take photos for insurance purposes.

We went for a bit of a drive today to get some things from the supermarket. We usually do our shopping on saturday, but that didn't happen yesterday. By and large the wasn't that much damage on our side of town, just fallen chimneys and a roof had partially broken off a restaurant nearby.

I've got the day off work tomorrow, as our office hasn't been inspected yet and it's right in the CBD, so who knows when we'll be able to go back to work.

It's kind of still hard to believe the damage is real.
WIPS
Damask Rose Needlecase
Castles in the Air
I Stitch therefore I Stash

2012 finishes:
Max's Moon
Wandatoo

Post by Wandatoo »

I toured all over New Zealand in 1985, including Christchurch and Wellington, but don't remember them mentioning earthquakes, so I wasn't sure. I think I do remember lots of homes on the side of hills, so I hope this hasn't affected them.
Wandatoo

"Dogs come when they're called. Cats take a message and get back to you."
nettie

Post by nettie »

I hope that those with friends in Christchurch get hold of them all soon and that they are all safe!

Someone mentioned Godzoned I have her amongst my friends on facebook and she is fine they were outside of the main area but did feel the quake.
maeflowers

Post by maeflowers »

wow, that sounds so scary. Glad to hear everyone is alright.
WIP's
Happy Heart
Honey Bear
John Deere

ImageImage
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Nettie Thanks for the message about godzoned. I had a PM from her too to say all was ok.

Murmured - I guess getting back to work for many people will be impossible today and for some days until they inspect all the buildings. Then of course there will be all the mess to clear up too.
A good excuse to get more stitching done.

Squirrel

WIPS
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Hi Mummured and Godzoned, hope all is still well after the latest big after shock. Apparently it was closer to the city and more shallow.

Very nerve wracking I'm sure.

Thinking of you all

Squirrel

WIPS
Smiley

Post by Smiley »

I'v not been on in a while, sorry for the late reply. So glad all of you are ok!!! :hug: I wish you all well on the clean up and with the after shocks!!! It must be so scary!!! I live in south africa where we don't have many natural disaster fears, I can't imagine how it is!
One of my best friends live in NZ, somewhere just outside Chch. Luckily I got hold of him 3 days ago (9 sep) got worried when I couldn't get to him. He and the family thankfully ok, the house, not so much. Worried about one of his good friends though, he's been trying to get hold of her, but hasn't yet been sucessful :( she lives in Chch. :x:

Gratefull all our members here are ok. xxx best wishes for the cleaning up and fixing of damage. Thinking of you all!!!
:D smiley :D

WIP:
Still :shock:

snoopy birth present
knitting: witty knits, santa

2010 Finishes:
UFO: popcorn holding blankie
I love my pony, Linda Gillum
Cute Kitten, Adam Pescott
Mouse in race car, Lucie Heaton
Hi mom (golden retrievers), Linda Gillum